LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Factory CD changer - install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-01, 04:15 PM
New Owner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I tear the glove box apart this weekend, is there anything I should know regarding installation of the factory CD changer in my 96 LS400?

I'm curious about the interaction of the theft deterrent system.

I've had the glove box out once before a few weeks ago just to check things out, but would like a little guidance or info before hooking things up.

I have all the pieces; glovebox plastic liner, CD changer and the 6-CD cartridge. It appears all I need to do is simply plug it in and mount it.

Anyone have any experience with this who can advise?
Thanks.
Bill.
Old 08-22-01, 08:25 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Bill, are you concerned about the theft deterent interfering with the operation of the unit... or that it will work after the install? I think the main "deterent" is that the Lexus stuff is incompatible with any other car/component and therefore is NOT a targeted part by criminals. By Lexus placing the changer in the glove box it is NOT apparent whether or not a car has the unit. Further detering theft.

BTW, I need to do the same thing to my 96. If you would like some company/assistance on the install I am interested in observing/helping. I have R&R'd MANY cars but haven't done my Lexus yet and would appreciate the exposure. Let me know...

John Brady
email: jbrady@vpn-inc.com
Old 08-22-01, 08:01 PM
New Owner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John.

Well, tentatively this weekend, subject to last minute overtime requirements at the office and weather. Should know more Friday, noonish.

I don't anticipate the job will take more than 45 mins to an hour. I've already done a practice run at disassembly and reassembly of the glove boxes, pretty much duck soup. 10mm socket & a stubby screwdriver.

Of first concern is the status of the unit. Wish there was a way to test it without going through the installation. I found it on eBay for $300 but then had a hassle with the seller in getting him to finally ship it to me. I actually had to start a fraud claim against him to get him to send it. This after he had asked for a money order which I fed-x'd to him 6 weeks ago. Man was I pissed! When it finally arrived the other day the package looked like it had been mauled by bears. Contents of the box appear undamaged, however.

Of second concern is the date code stamped on the CD changer chassis, says "1998" . Glovebox liner looks like it should fit and multi-pin connector looks about right, Jeeze I sure hope it fits & works.

Interesting too is how "everything Lexus" has the vin number on it, yet this CD changer doesn't. Hmmm...

Give me an email contact & we'll take this to the next level.