LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

***Interesting Air Filter Test...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-01, 11:48 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Interesting article for all the newcomers to the forum.. and some of us old ones too.

http://www.gtrowner.com/induction.html

Read closely the conclusion... It's truly a toss up in horse power gains and looks. Now filtration is another subject.

The Ikon
Old 08-21-01, 03:17 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Good information. Good test parameters. Now... does APEXi make an LS400 element???
Old 08-21-01, 03:55 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

isnt' that filter universal, all you need is the MAP sensor adapter right?.. i'm think i would like to see another test. It weird tha a stainless steel mesh type would be able to out perform a foam one like HKS. Plus in everyday driving under the hood, wouldn't the Stainless steel heat up and keep the heat longer than any other, thus losing HP/.
tony
Old 08-21-01, 04:42 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh Oh looks like the HKS is got to go.Apex i am coming.

thanks for the info,Ikon
Old 08-21-01, 05:58 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

No problems guys, that's what we are here for to assist each other.

Edogg, I'm with you on trying Apexi. I don't know of any place that sell Apexi air filters. I seen a few sites but the prices are rather high. Does any one know a shop that sells Apexi?

I'll probably end up keeping my K&N, but the look of the Apexi is nice. Plus it should suck air in thru the top/inlet really good for my ram air set up. I wonder how the Akimoto, Monster Flow, and Weapon R filters work?
Maybe a test is in order.

Tony, that's a good question about the Blitz unit.

JBrady have you got your maf adapter and cone filter yet? Check with "933005spd" on a custom heat shield/box for you LS4 guys.

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...15&pagenumber=2

The Ikon
Old 08-21-01, 08:21 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

After seeing all the residue from the HKS,I want to get rid of it for the Apex for sure.

Hey Ikon did 933005spd create a heat box for the LS400's,I would difinetly want one.
Old 08-21-01, 09:54 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Edogg, here's his website you can contact him there or on the SC forum for the LS4... or just send him a PM... He's good at responding to PM...

This is his link... http://www.mycrobyte.com/lexus

I have a fraternity brother that just got a LS4 after he wrecked his 528i... I told him about CL...

Old 08-21-01, 10:41 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

The blitz is a good filter but that steel mesh thing is makeing me wonder. There are many steel fitler out now, made of same material and such. Instead of going with the regular K&N cone filter, i went with reactive heat shiled filer. is has a shiled around it,, it doesn't help much but it;s something, and it has a carbon fiber look. I think that the test may be bias.. if Apex-i has a top inlet, wouldn't it have to pass a filer or if it dosen't then whats the point of the filter. If anyone else can find another test, then this would be great.
tony
Old 08-22-01, 08:13 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Tony, the APEXi top is NOT an inlet. It is a funnel SHAPE for improved internal aerodynamics and a claimed 10% reduction is pressure drop.
Quote from article:
" The Apexi dual funnel Power Intake has evolved from the Apexi Super Intake filter with some subtle refinements in the design and filter element. According to Apexi, this resulted in a 10% reduction in pressure drop by utilizing an upper and lower funnel. The Power Intake reduces air turbulence within the filter and creates smooth air flow into the throttle body. Maintenance is kept to a minimum as this filter is a dry-type air filter and will alleviate the problem of filter oil from "wet" air cleaners, interfering with the air-flow meter. "

I want to know more about the filter as it claims to be a lifetime NO maintenance filter :eek: It LOOKs like the K&N "cloth between wire mesh" construction but states it is a "dry" filter and therefore uses no oil... this tells me the filter medium is NOT the K&N cloth gauze but rather something else... maybe a fiber/paper type element??? Oiled elements like the K&N (if over oiled) can allow some oil to get on the sensor element in the MAF causing sensor problems. If oiling of filter is correct this doesn't appear to be an issue but is a good point for the APEXi part.

Tests can and often are biased. Is this one? I DON'T know. BUT, a wire mess filter will certainly NOT have the micron size filtering ability of paper. Foam is porous, the size of the pores determining micron filtration size. Larger pores, less cleaning of the air. From the descriptions I would have guessed the wire mesh to be the worst filter (dirt wise) and the dry element to be the best filtering but lowest power. Again, if the test is legit... very interesting/valuable info. This test DID address the 2 critical elements of filters: 1) how well do they filter dirt 2) how well do they flow air.

Last edited by JBrady; 08-22-01 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-22-01, 03:38 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default As usual Jbady..

You are the best informer...
Old 08-23-01, 06:53 AM
yin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi ya the apexi - filter in japan is the recognised norm.... retailing thre at about US$150 equivalent.....here is a pic....
Attached Thumbnails ***Interesting Air Filter Test...-power.jpg  
Old 08-23-01, 02:38 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Yin, Can you find out about the V8 intake system that you show in the lower right corner. Who makes it? Can it be imported? How much? It may or may not be a viable US product but many with the "side" throttle body V8s have indicated interest.

Ikon... Thanks
Old 08-23-01, 07:55 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Man I want a bigger throttle body on mines as well,I have be looking all over a bigger throttle for the V8 engine,espically for this model so i can suck in more air.
Old 08-24-01, 02:44 AM
yin
Driver School Candidate

Racing Suction Kit
The latest addition to the HKS filter family is the RACING SUCTION KIT, which is a complete air intake system that places the air filter away from high heat areas and into a purpose built cold air box for maximum horsepower improvements. All pipework included in these kits is fully polished and components are of the ultimate quality.

Please find attached a photo of this on a LS400 in Japan

The other photo is another filter that the japanese celsiors like to use....
Attached Thumbnails ***Interesting Air Filter Test...-car12.jpg  
Old 08-24-01, 03:07 AM
yin
Driver School Candidate

oh regarding the piping kit and tube kit in realtion to the other LS400 picture ...it is made by approval a well known japanese tuning company.

http://approval.co.jp/parts/f_pip_tube.html

here is their web address and some bigger pictures of the kit and all the parts.

Note the price tables are one for each kit piping and ducting so you need to add together

the ducting (intake) is based on a HKS filter

...well if other users find this interesting perhaps you should contact approval direct...as I am based in uk .....and go to Japan.......I don't think I can help you out guys regarding importing.

But happy to bring you latest products......as there are loads in Japan for the celsior.

Quick Reply: ***Interesting Air Filter Test...