LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

headlight leveling system

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 06:24 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would prolly check the connections, and fuses first to see whats going on. Its really easy to take out the assembly (im guessing you already have taken it out to change the wedge bulb).

Do all the connections line up? might want to look for a busted headlight on ebay and grab the leveling motor.

Edit: Do both of them not work? or both of them work but the message still shows up?
if its the ladder, i would check the leveling sensors.
Old 09-05-06, 06:26 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if both are down id check the connections at the headlighs and then try to find a new headlight ECU.

other possibility is that its a wheel sensor (one of the 4 sensors at each wheel for the leveling system)
Pure, does the car need to be on the ground then? Right now car has no wheels and is on jackstands due to coilover conversion and brake upgrade.
Old 09-05-06, 06:32 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I would prolly check the connections, and fuses first to see whats going on. Its really easy to take out the assembly (im guessing you already have taken it out to change the wedge bulb).

Do all the connections line up? might want to look for a busted headlight on ebay and grab the leveling motor.

Edit: Do both of them not work? or both of them work but the message still shows up?
if its the ladder, i would check the leveling sensors.
connections are tight did not unplug just made sure they were snug
I only saw right side move had hood up didnt notice drivers. Passenger side had wedge bulb out.
Old 09-05-06, 06:42 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Ok, first of all, congrats on the 98, just found out. Power to the 2.5gen crew

Second, try this. Turn on your headlights, then start your car, and see if they headlights move up and down. check both of them. If they both go up and down, its most likely the leveling sensors.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 09-05-06 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-05-06, 06:55 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Ok, first of all, congrats on the 98, just found. Power to the 2.5gen crew.

Second, try this. Turn on your headlights, then start your car, and see if they headlights move up and down. check both of them. If they both go up and down, its most likely the leveling sensors.
Thanks Grand its nice to move up, (Ill miss the firt gen its been fun)I had a oppurtunity I couldnt refuse. 500.00 more for this car than I paid for the 93 a year ago! Car will be back on the ground tomorrow so i will see if they both move and go from there. Are the wedge bulbs DRL or just a accent light?
Old 09-05-06, 07:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

since u said its the drivers side that is dead id go hunting for a driver's side headlight motor.

sell me the HIDs out of ur '93 :-D
Old 09-05-06, 08:13 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
since u said its the drivers side that is dead id go hunting for a driver's side headlight motor.

sell me the HIDs out of ur '93 :-D
I love to sell the old HID's, make me a offer 2 sets bulbs 1 extra ballast 8000k 6000 hi/lo
Old 09-05-06, 08:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

pm me the bulb and ballast info (manufacturer and model no.).

pics too pls :-D

and ur best bet is to just find a whole headlight housing because finding a motor will be a *****.
Old 09-05-06, 10:54 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Now you have 3 days to start a new thread with pics of the new ride
Navi and Air Ride is a very rare combo.
Old 09-05-06, 11:59 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In case this can help someone.
The Lexus manuals are useless for this problem.
There are 2 motors which consist of each headlight adjustment.
There are only 2 sensors which are located on both right front and rear lower control arms. They have a large "n"looking hoop to allow the sensor to be adjusted up and down.
The arms usually bend and need to be straightened out every so often to work properly. The front sensor never needs adjusting so leave it alone.
When the car is started it turns the system to do a check and raises the lights to max up and down position before leveling out. If you get a "headlight malfunction on your readout after driving for a few meters and have an ABS light it is because the ABS light is on and disrupting the system. Fix the sensor and it will disappear. If you disconnected the arm and left it hanging it still would not trigger a fault on the ecu for having no change in output.

How do i know these things?
I bought my car and noticed the rear sensor was hanging. No issues with it not working except blinding oncoming traffic. Fixed it 3 times by welding it ,but it kept snapping off for some reason of torsional pressures.
Had my car worked on by the dealer and they broke a ABS sensor which threw my headlight sensor on also. Could not figure it out for weeks as i waited for the sensor to be installed. Realigned the arm and no change. As soon as the sensor was fixed the light disappeared .
I am now a sane man again with no dash lights.
Old 09-06-06, 12:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

completely off topic but SK-have u had a problem with a loose tail light? have one on our 00 LS and the dash light is driving me insane. i can like touch the bulb socket, dash light will go off and all will be well for all of 20-30mins before it stops working and dash light pops up again
Old 09-06-06, 06:12 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
In case this can help someone.
The Lexus manuals are useless for this problem.
There are 2 motors which consist of each headlight adjustment.
There are only 2 sensors which are located on both right front and rear lower control arms. They have a large "n"looking hoop to allow the sensor to be adjusted up and down.
The arms usually bend and need to be straightened out every so often to work properly. The front sensor never needs adjusting so leave it alone.
When the car is started it turns the system to do a check and raises the lights to max up and down position before leveling out. If you get a "headlight malfunction on your readout after driving for a few meters and have an ABS light it is because the ABS light is on and disrupting the system. Fix the sensor and it will disappear. If you disconnected the arm and left it hanging it still would not trigger a fault on the ecu for having no change in output.

How do i know these things?
I bought my car and noticed the rear sensor was hanging. No issues with it not working except blinding oncoming traffic. Fixed it 3 times by welding it ,but it kept snapping off for some reason of torsional pressures.
Had my car worked on by the dealer and they broke a ABS sensor which threw my headlight sensor on also. Could not figure it out for weeks as i waited for the sensor to be installed. Realigned the arm and no change. As soon as the sensor was fixed the light disappeared .
I am now a sane man again with no dash lights.
im still having this problem and i have had my car in the air several times doing other things but never got back to the leveling. it drives me carazy but i just click the button and learn to live with it. i never could find the sensors or i justdidnt recognize them so ill go back under when the rain dries up and see what i can do. thanks SK
Old 09-06-06, 07:20 AM
alsalih
Rookie

sha4000, before getting deep into this, try something very simple, disconnect the battery and reconnect one minute later. Sometimes that's all it takes to "clear" things up.
Old 09-06-06, 08:34 AM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Now you have 3 days to start a new thread with pics of the new ride
Navi and Air Ride is a very rare combo.
Pics will be up today!
Old 09-06-06, 08:00 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by alsalih
sha4000, before getting deep into this, try something very simple, disconnect the battery and reconnect one minute later. Sometimes that's all it takes to "clear" things up.
done that too many times to count

Quick Reply: headlight leveling system