LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Telescoping wheel repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 01:28 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Telescoping wheel repair?

Hey guys/gals...

Anyone got the 411 on doing a Telescoping steering wheel repair?

The Tilt wheel repair is here:

Happy my steering wheel still goes up and down but the in/out is gone.
I still hear the clicking noise when button is pressed so I guess that means that the switch is still working. I assume the motor is out. Hope not - probably expensive.

anyone fix this one before?

--

Lorenzo 816
92 LS400 193k
Old 01-26-06, 04:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the clicking noise actually confirms that it ISNT the motor. it most likely means u stripped a gear or the like. cant really help u ouit more than that.
Old 01-27-06, 07:25 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default OKay

OKay - but its only one click, like when the switch is activated.
Its Not a consistent grinding - clicking noise.

It doesn't click but for a half second - even if you hold the switch in/out. (Doesn't hmmnn throughout the duration of being pressed)

Underneath the wheel to the left where the tilt gear is - behind that...
I can see a servo with a slot on one side... that side has a metal prong sticking out grabbing a P shaped piece of metal that goes back towards the wheel. I assume this is the motor.

any ideas?
If it is motor - how much time and money fellas?

--
Lorenzo 816
92 LS400
Old 01-27-06, 07:39 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the motor went. Same thing in my GS. Easy fix though a little tight to get in under there. I was actually able to take apart the motor and get new brushes from an alternator/starter repair shop. Total fix for me was under $15.00 but that was my situation. Yours could be different.
Lee
Old 01-27-06, 08:20 AM
JCD94LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar situation on my 94LS except my problem was that it stopped moning up and down. I took it to the Lexus dealer in Kendall (Miami) and they actually fixed it for free!!. They explained it was the gear under the steering colum. the gear is round and only uses half of the teeth the rotate and move the steering wheel, so they just turned it around to use the new teeth on the other side. Hope this helps.

JC
Old 01-28-06, 12:40 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default right on...

Thanks pearlpower.

Will try it and see.
Old 02-09-06, 08:01 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default started again

The other day I just decided to see if it would work.
And magically it moved for me.
So - I've decided to keep it in the driving position and turn off the Auto feature until my wife groans about it. Hey, I drive more than she does.

So I assume the little bugger is dying. Oh well.
I'll wait until it is fully dead before I replace or repair.
Old 02-10-06, 11:06 AM
austxlexus
Rookie

Default Tilt Steering Fix

Originally Posted by lorenzo816
Hey guys/gals...

Anyone got the 411 on doing a Telescoping steering wheel repair?

The Tilt wheel repair is here:

Happy my steering wheel still goes up and down but the in/out is gone.
I still hear the clicking noise when button is pressed so I guess that means that the switch is still working. I assume the motor is out. Hope not - probably expensive.

anyone fix this one before?

--

Lorenzo 816
92 LS400 193k
Take off the box-like cover behind steering wheel by removing two screws at bottom. top/bottom halfs are sort of 'snap on' to each other, the bottom part can be easily removed with the steering column telescoping all the way out. you can leave the top part on.

with driver door open, unscrew 3 screws, loosen the bolt of the swing-out piece, then the small side panel for the motor's gear box can be removed to expose the blue plastic gear which drives the screw rod above to control the column up and down.
remove nut/washer at center axis in front of the gear piece.

the gear in mine was somewhat loose after years of use. when up-down button was pressed, it tilted inward and the teeth lost contact with the screw rod. so I had to remove the gear piece in order to put some shim piece as support behind the gear to make it rotate straight again!

if your gear has totally worn teeth, then you must find one at junk yard. the gear worth only a few cents but dealer just don't sell it standalone!

picture #4

but the gear in mine was kinda difficult to take out, so I made a small ‘hook’ from a piece of flat metal on my work bench and kinda wedged the gear off the center axis by reachng the ‘hook’ behind the gear

picture #5

this was how I made the shim piece which must be some sort of ring shape with about 1/4" thickness:
I took the cap of an empty ‘fuel injector cleaner’ bottle (long neck), and used my Dremel to saw it into half along rim side. then I took the inner ring which is hard plastic and used it as the shim ring going behind the gear piece. it’s in perfect diameter and thickness for this purpose!

picture #6

place the shim ring around center axis, reinsert the gear piece, make sure it is straight and in good contact with the screw rod above. reinstall washer/nut at center axis.

try the up-down button again, and BINGO! my steering column now goes up-down perfectly and freely!
Old 02-10-06, 03:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

cant see pics...
Old 02-12-06, 08:43 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Default okay

I just read your post... and I think you are referring to the Tilt Wheel repair.
Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm having issues with the in/out.

But hey - nice write up
Old 02-13-06, 04:10 AM
ajmcd64
Driver School Candidate

I'm having a similar issue, but mine only works sporatically. If I try to adjust in/out or up/down, it will only move very little, then stop. I release and push/pull switch and it moves little again. I continue to push/release button until desired location is obtained. Pain in the rear. With very little knowledge of cars, this problem give me the impression that it is dirty or worn contacts??? Anybody??
Old 02-13-06, 06:25 AM
austxlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by lorenzo816
I just read your post... and I think you are referring to the Tilt Wheel repair.
Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm having issues with the in/out.

But hey - nice write up
Yes, this is for the "tele" part of the steering wheel. Sorry about the pics, I used to have them on photobucket, but the are not there so the links are lost.
Old 03-04-06, 04:58 AM
Bren
Driver School Candidate

Arrow Same Idea, different approach

Hi fellas,
I have the December 91 LS400 (MY92?) and when i had the steering wheel re-leathered recently they buggered up a number of things, most prominently the telescoping function... The movements work perfectly and always have, however since it was in the retracting and return has not worked.... Seeing as i no-longer have the manuals for my car, I am at a bit of a loss.... One of you mentions that there is a way to turn off the auto-retract/return function.... if this has been turned off, how do i turn it back on???? Its a funky feature and im keen to get it back working...

Cheers Fellas..

P.S... just discovered the site.... nice!

Bren
Old 03-06-06, 09:41 AM
austxlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bren
Hi fellas,
I have the December 91 LS400 (MY92?) and when i had the steering wheel re-leathered recently they buggered up a number of things, most prominently the telescoping function... The movements work perfectly and always have, however since it was in the retracting and return has not worked.... Seeing as i no-longer have the manuals for my car, I am at a bit of a loss.... One of you mentions that there is a way to turn off the auto-retract/return function.... if this has been turned off, how do i turn it back on???? Its a funky feature and im keen to get it back working...

Cheers Fellas..

P.S... just discovered the site.... nice!

Bren
Push the button!!!
Old 03-06-06, 11:56 PM
Bren
Driver School Candidate

Default ........which one?

..........which button would that be?

Quick Reply: Telescoping wheel repair?