LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Question on LS430.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 10:35 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice board by the way, here is the situation- my oldman has a 00 S500, which is not living up to its expectations.

So my question is, are there some rumored styling changes for the LS430 for the 03 model year?- curious, because I would just get him into an 02.

Did a search, found a little info- nothing significant.....any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-01, 11:51 PM
tonka_ca
Driver School Candidate

As for most Japanes cars, I believe that Lexus changes body styles on their vehicles every 5 years or so. So given that staement, I dont believe so. But every model has upgrades, so im guessing( and this is purely my point of view) that 03 will change some interior options and at best, the front grill or back headlights. Besides that, I dont think much will be done. But hey who knows, i could be wrong
Old 08-09-01, 02:16 AM
Stephen
Pole Position

I've heard that 03 will yield a face lift.
Old 08-09-01, 06:39 AM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so the next thing is...when does Lexus typically introduce the new model year LS cars (or does it vary)?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-09-01, 10:07 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Stephen, no offense, but where exactly did you hear this from? Or is it a matter of postulation on your behalf because of the past LS cycles and your displeasure for the present exterior of the 01' models.

I've heard so many things myself, from face lifts to a L-Sport edition to a shoehorned V12, but invariably, I doubt all of them until I see real confirmations.

Originally posted by Stephen
I've heard that 03 will yield a face lift.
Old 08-09-01, 10:19 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb based on my past exp w/LS

if the current ls430 follow the history(6-year model cycle), you will see a minor face-lift in late 03 as the 04 model is due. at that time, a new GS will also be out with the new engine(~330-350hp). and such engine will be placed in the face-lifted LS.

add another 3-4 years, you would have another totally redesigned LS.

i also convinced my dad to hold until 03 as well.

will
Old 08-09-01, 01:31 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

ST430, I know some people at Lexus, and I get conflicting reports. Everyone but one person, a design engineer says that there will be a moderate restyle to the front, some interior upgrades and some new wheels in 2003. This one guy says nothing, but he is historically very tight lipped. That and just common sense makes me think there will be a restyle. THink about whats coming out in 2003, the new Acura RL, the new BMW 7 Series, the S Class gets a restyle, new Cadillacs in 2004.

I'm almost positive Lexus will freshen the LS430. And with the RL pushing 400hp, I'm sure there will be a higher performance version.
Old 08-09-01, 06:42 PM
ST430
Pole Position

I have a couple of buddies down in Torrance myself. I've heard way too many rumors from them to take them *too* seriously!

BTW> I *HIGHLY* doubt an RL pushing 400hp...and this is from accounts from VTEC.NET, where I am still a Honduh affecianado :P This is the kind of RUMORS i'm talking about that makes me cringe when people say the HEAR things!

ST430, I know some people at Lexus, and I get conflicting reports. Everyone but one person, a design engineer says that there will be a moderate restyle to the front, some interior upgrades and some new wheels in 2003. This one guy says nothing, but he is historically very tight lipped. That and just common sense makes me think there will be a restyle. THink about whats coming out in 2003, the new Acura RL, the new BMW 7 Series, the S Class gets a restyle, new Cadillacs in 2004.

I'm almost positive Lexus will freshen the LS430. And with the RL pushing 400hp, I'm sure there will be a higher performance version.
Old 08-10-01, 12:56 AM
Stephen
Pole Position

The latest HP ratings I've heard on the RL are 370.

Usually these guys are right, I guess time will tell lol
Old 08-10-01, 05:21 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Definitely time will tell, but fyi - the same VTEC.net guys also claim that Honduh may not be developing a V8 after all and stick to a hipo (300hp) V6...extrapolated from an article in Automotive News interviewing the president of American Honduh.

The latest HP ratings I've heard on the RL are 370.

Usually these guys are right, I guess time will tell lol
Old 08-11-01, 10:53 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

Not to move off the topic.....but I went to look at the LS430 today, get a brochure.

I was in a rush, but the car in the showrooms wood trim looked really fake (sticker said its genuine)....if its real, that stuff puts a new meaning in "laminated."- was light colored.

Plus this particular car had just plastic/rubber side armrests/dash...where in the catalog, the photos show interior shots where everything seems to be leather/vinal covered- is that part of the Ultra Lux package?

Overall though, what a nice car...even at its $61k sticker, the interior was every bit as nice as an $80k Benz- exterior is nice too.
Old 08-12-01, 06:20 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

The wood is genuine. Was the interior black? Then it did have the blond colored wood. Also, yes the leather armrests and dash come with the Ultra Luxury package. On my LS400 the door armrests etc are leather, so I was a little surprised to find them to be plastic on the "base" 430.

You gotta drive one, its a fantastic car.
Old 08-12-01, 07:28 PM
Beltfed
Driver School Candidate

Just got out this very thick brochure.......it was a Crystal white car, with either Ecru or Ivory leather (can't tell by the little sample)- I'm leaning towards Ecru because the Golden Bird's eye maple looks to be the lightest in color wood (Ecru/Black seem to come with this wood on the base car).......its weird, I opened a few console doors and the wood just felt and looked like plastic- I'll go again to look at it and of course take it for a spin (looking forward to that).

Thanks for clearing up those questions for me.
Old 08-13-01, 12:41 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

The black interior comes with the golden bird's eye maple, as does the Ecru on the base car. I prefer the california walnut like whats in my 400, the golden seems to sort of stare back at you in a way, I guess its just not what I'm used to. On the Ultra Luxury car the Ecru interior comes with the Ecru wood, which I do like, its grey toned and very distinctive, and the Black Analine comes with the bordeaux bird's eye maple (what I was going to/will get). The bordeaux interior also comes with that wood, but I've never seen a car so equipped.
Old 08-13-01, 10:52 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ST430
Definitely time will tell, but fyi - the same VTEC.net guys also claim that Honduh may not be developing a V8 after all and stick to a hipo (300hp) V6...extrapolated from an article in Automotive News interviewing the president of American Honduh.

Acura's RL has to do something drastic to increase sales for this car, that still doesn't really have an indentity as a flagship sedan for Acura.

I am sure they will put that Honda V8 in there, the V6 is just not cutting it.

But it's a catch up game for Acura now, because the Lexus LS430 is such an advanced car, that it's worth any extra money. It's GORGEOUS!

Quick Reply: Question on LS430.......