LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Buyer's Remorse....with a Lexus????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 08:44 AM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer's Remorse....with a Lexus????

First off, let me say this is THE most civil and informative forum I have EVER been privilaged to stumble upon. After several years in the "honda" forums with immature responses and oversized egos, it is truely refreshing to actually get information and share experiences with you fine people.

I understand this is my first post, but I had to get this off my chest. I bought a 98 LS400 with 128K on the clock and paid $12K (kbb said it was worth 14.5K). Very good condition...yada yada. It is truely a magnificent machine. But, last night, I couldn't stop feeling like I made a huge mistake. I have always owned hondas and know how they run, drive, etc. However, with the LS, I feel guilty I have such a nice car! It there something wrong with me? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/new...ewthread&f=10#

My previous car (93 prelude vtec, modded and such) was too small in the back to fit my son and his carseat (he is 1 1/2) and my 40 minute commute to work and back (with the lowered suspension) was killing my back, I couldn't take it anymore.

I have a family now and I'm so beyond the "fast and furious" stage in my life (I'm 31 with a wife, son, and a mortgage....what am I doing with a street racer?). We bought the car outright using our HELOC and we can afford the payments and so forth.

Logically, everything makes sense....how come my stomach is turning somersaults?

Thanks for listening.

Jeremy
98 LS400
black on black
mods = zero
Old 01-05-06, 09:32 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

dot worry youll get over it, if theres one thing ppl dont like it is CHANGE and that iswhat you need to get used to, your priorities are different now and so is your perspective, welcome to the club
Old 01-05-06, 09:45 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This is one of the changes you'll experince and I had a similar feel when I bought ours. It's not that we didn't like the car, it was a completely new feel and blank slate for new adventures. As in the Jefferson's theme song..."Movin on up..."
Old 01-05-06, 10:05 AM
caffeine
Rookie

I know how you feel, I came from a 97' Celica with a full suspension. But that's why I balso bought an 87' Nissan 200SX along with my LS400. Its a little pos that I drive whenever I feel the need to get into a sports car, manual, v6, rwd, lowered. Fincially it makes sense too since its a sub $1,000 toy, and by claiming it as my daily driver insurance is simlar to just having the Lexus.

Anyways, welcome to the world of smooth sailing. And oh yah, Club Lexus definetely is a great forum with very helpful memebers, and part of which is because we're not racers, ricers, or etc.

Just dont' mention VIP if you want people to remain civil. Being VIP is the equlivant to being JDM on the Honda forums. They're a huge one sided debate over it...the Pro-VIP side thinks they're cool. And the people like myself that think its stupid to call yourself a Very Important Person and to rice out your luxury car hardly ever voice their opinion about it. Its kind of like when you used to pull next to a porche or ferarri in your fixed up import car and they ignore you no matter how much you rev.
Old 01-05-06, 10:42 AM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your kind words...the nervousness is subsiding....

Thanks for the warning, caffeine. I saw VIP but wasn't sure what it was. I pray I don't get sucked into that realm like I did with JDM. Yikes!

On my drive into work today, I barely concentrated on the driving aspect, just kinda floated to work. Much different than bracing myself for back-jaring bumps and downshifting. It is much quiter and luxurious. I'm still impressed this is a 98 and rides like it was brand new.
Old 01-05-06, 10:57 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found that since I've had my LS (less than two months) that I now drive less aggressively. I don't seem to be passing people as much and I'm not inclined to speed up if I get passed. My previous car was an 02 Maxima SE - that thing was louder but it handled pretty well and seemed more responsive. Do I miss it? Nope.

If I need to go fast - I just hop on my motorcycle...although that won't happen until Spring.

Last night the LS earned some more respect in my book. Some punk in a new Cobalt SS pulled up next to me at a light. Light turned green and it was on... he couldn't get ahead of me...damn funny if you ask me (only went up to about 50-60mph). Brand new Cobalt SS (rated at 0-60 in 5.9 sec) against my 117k mile LS400. He did have the stick shift...I'm sure that car is more capable than mine, he probably needs some shifting lessons.
Old 01-05-06, 11:36 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL jermdogg!!!!

You were probably feeling guilt, as the brain initially is unable to understand how a luxury cruiser with higher mileage can be affordable AND still be decades ahead of other cars on the road in terms of quality and reliability.

And don't worry. The modding bug doesn't have to leave you completely. There are a lot of great, tasteful mods out there for the LS!!!
Old 01-05-06, 01:07 PM
acidfire52
Driver

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I've found that since I've had my LS (less than two months) that I now drive less aggressively. I don't seem to be passing people as much and I'm not inclined to speed up if I get passed. My previous car was an 02 Maxima SE - that thing was louder but it handled pretty well and seemed more responsive. Do I miss it? Nope.
I know the feeling. I have only had mine about a month and alrady I am noticing a diference.
I came from an Acura Legend. Not as much powr, but much sportier gearing and suspension.
Now, I just kind of cruise along, nice and happy..
Old 01-05-06, 01:44 PM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Again, thanks for the reassurance. I am feeling better as the day goes on, and I'm sure it will be a non-issue in a couple of days.

Mkorsu - the modding bug will probably never leave...to the chagrin of my wife! =)

MadMax96 - I know what you mean...I'm driving like I don't care how fast I get there. Weird. But I definatly enjoy the ride!

You all rock! I feel I have a new forum home! ClubLexus!
Old 01-05-06, 02:16 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by jermdogg
Mkorsu - the modding bug will probably never leave...to the chagrin of my wife! =)

Do like I do. With every mod I do to my car, I change the oil and detail her car!!!
Old 01-06-06, 06:27 PM
sahtt
Rookie

Default Wouldn't worry about it

The car is about as good investment as you can make in the car market if it was well maintained. As long as you don't have an incredibly long drive to work and your insurance isn't too outrageous, you made a good choice. The only problem with the 98-00 vs an older one is they don't look as 'new'. Not exactly a problem IMO anyhow. 290hp/300tq to boot as well!
Old 01-07-06, 01:05 AM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Default Buyer's Remorse?

This Forum is definitely civil. . .you should see how nasty CL's auto chat has become!

Your "remorse" may stem from a few other things though. . .

*We're a long time Honda family here. . .and there is definitely an adjustment process you go though when shifting to Toyota and Lexus. . .there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. . .Hondas (even Acuras) have a certain feel that you may prefer or have just gotten so used to that you are feeling disappointed now because something seems to be missing, etc.;

*Some of the Forum members may disagree with my description here but. . .the Lexus brand is the late 20th-early 21st century version of the classic Cadillac. . .luxury interior (clearly better than the competition). . .and silky smooth ride, suspension, handling, etc. . .Lexus today makes a better "Cadillac" than does GM!;

*There is definitely a difference between a V8 and a V6. . .I'm only three months into my ownership of a 1993 LS400. . .on colder days (yes, they exist even in California!) you have to be more patient with your car, letting it warm up a bit longer than you would with a V6. . .before shifting out of Park. . .and still taking it easy on how aggressively you hit your pedal to the metal. . .but once that engine is warmed up. . .then you will see and feel why the V8 is so much better than the competition. . .especially the S Class MBZ;

*I'm also detecting from your e-mail that the car may have become a visible symbol for "settling down". . .a feeling that doesn't necessarily come from just being married, or hitting 30 (try 40!). . .it may be the kid thing (I have two myself). . . perhaps you are also noticing that there can be more reasons now to use the LS400 as a "family car" than what you had before. . .my ES300 was only a commuter car, we just never used it for the four of us over the course of 13 years. . .but with the 1993 LS400 we ARE using it just as much as our Sienna Minivan. . .the kids love riding in the back and my wife feels comfortable in the front. . .we have definitely NOT sacrificed safety (and the gas mileage is only slightly less than the ES - the Lexus V8 is one of the most powerful and efficient engines on the market today).

"Love thy car. . .love thy choice."

Congratulations!
Old 01-07-06, 04:47 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe you guys dont know what you have. The LS4 98-00 is a perfect balance of luxury, power, and a good foundation for Mods (if your into mods). I would say that your LS should be much faster than your old cars was, although it doesnt feel like it because of the soft gearing.

I personally love to put my big over weight sedan through corners and I like to play. Thus I changed my suspension(L-sportline) and I have low profile tires, believe it or not, the car still rides smooth but I can push it the way I want to and be secure.

Enjoy your new car
Old 01-07-06, 11:55 PM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

I sold my 1993 Prelude vtec today (modded to high heaven...with a ride to match)...and I was OK with it. Watching in drive away for the last time made me a little sad, but looking at the LS in the driveway, I know I made the right decision with the luxury ride.

mmccutchin - you pretty much described me on all of your points, but specifically, I think it is mostly the "growing up" and the "honda-lexus" switch. My wife LOVES the car and I get all kinds of comments like "you got some side job...drivin' a Lexus?"

stefwilli - I am beginning to appricate what I have. My back doesnt' hurt any more, and the power...oh the power. Doesn't even compare to the vtec...which I thought was the end all - be all of engines. I would like to lower the LS a bit, how does the L-sportline suspention (springs and struts, right?) compare with the factory ride. Any negatives?