LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 ls400 tranny problems; help me please!!!!!!

Old 01-04-06, 12:09 PM
pho076
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 95 ls400 tranny problems; help me please!!!!!!

recently i took my car to a small shop for a complete tune-up. well he changed the transmission fluid and didn't put toyota iv fluid back in the tranny. well i could drive the car until it would heat to normal and then the trac light would blink and the car doesn't move. i could turn the motor off for a few minutes and then proceed to drive again until it heats to normal.

1. i did a regular drain and the fluid was already black.
2. i put toyota iv back in and disconnected the battery to reset the ecu.
3. now the car will not go in any gear except park.

i know i need to flush the tranny and when i did the partial drain i noticed metal shavings. thats not good huh. i am lost and frustrated. and please don't tell me its time for a new tranny. this will be my second one. and its not cheap. somebody please help me.

Last edited by pho076; 01-04-06 at 12:59 PM. Reason: need answers asap
Old 01-04-06, 02:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

With shavings floating through the system, it is likely it has plugged one of the passages. Maybe dropping the pan and cleaning the screen may help but I suspect a particle is stuck in a critical point.
Old 01-04-06, 07:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

u HAVE to flush the tranny NOW. the drain and fill only replaces about 2 qts of fluid whereas a flush drains the full 10-12 qts.
Old 01-04-06, 09:11 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

How many miles do you have?
Old 01-04-06, 09:24 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to say it, but it seems as though this car has been neglected in the past at some point. If you have gone through 2 transmissions, you may be experiencing heat problems. May I suggest that you check your radiator oil cooler in the bottom, or perhaps install an auxilliary cooler?

You say you see metal shavings, and that is definitely not good. Perhaps shavings from your old transmission has been allowed to come in and contaminate your newer transmission. Many people forget to check and service the entire radiator and cooling system while replacing a transmission....remember, SOMETHING caused the transmission to fail, and normal wear may not have been the reason.

I also believe that you can move up to something better than Toyota Type T-IV fluid. I may get a few flames for this, but Mobil 1 and AMSOIL make excellent fluids for both your transmission AND your power steering system. Put synthetic in both of these systems, and you will go a long way towards eliminating big repair bills in the future.

In your case, I would first drain the pan, remove and replace the metal screen, then refill the transmission. Idle the engine, run the car through teh gears without driving it then shut it off.

Then remove the rubber transmission line going to the radiator from the transmission and put in a large drain pan. Start the engine and while watching the fluid come out, keep pouring new fluid into the transmission. This will help drain the torque converter since there is no drain plug on the converter like Ford cars.

Once the fluid runs clean into the pan, you can assume that the majority of the fluid is clean. After this if the car still doesn't move, then the transmission is probably shot. This sounds like a lot , but it is still cheaper than a new transmission.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-06-10, 11:39 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pho076
recently i took my car to a small shop for a complete tune-up. well he changed the transmission fluid and didn't put toyota iv fluid back in the tranny. well i could drive the car until it would heat to normal and then the trac light would blink and the car doesn't move. i could turn the motor off for a few minutes and then proceed to drive again until it heats to normal.

1. i did a regular drain and the fluid was already black.
2. i put toyota iv back in and disconnected the battery to reset the ecu.
3. now the car will not go in any gear except park.

i know i need to flush the tranny and when i did the partial drain i noticed metal shavings. thats not good huh. i am lost and frustrated. and please don't tell me its time for a new tranny. this will be my second one. and its not cheap. somebody please help me.
People come one here just to create a log on and be able to post their despearte problems.Once they get an idea to fix their problem, they are gone and never post the fix.Gheez, give us an update.I have been here since 2001 and in every post I posted my fix.Now searches like this do not help me.Created an ID and 2 posts later he was probably never heard from.
Old 01-07-10, 08:41 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Step one: Open up a new browser window
Step two: type in "www.car-part.com"
Step three: Select 1995 Lexus LS400 in the drop down menus,
Step four: Select "transmission"
Step five: ...
Step six: Profit!
Old 01-09-10, 11:38 PM
convoy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

i am in a similar bind. i own a 98 ls400 and recently did a half *** drain n fill during an oil change. it ran fine for a couple of weeks. my father came from out of town and borrowed the car for a few days. he was waiting on a red light when the car ceased to move and the check engine light came on. scan tool read 3 codes: p0715, p0500, and p0750. i'm hoping that the new fluid freed up some gunk and is now stuck somewhere in the valve body. if not, i'm gonna have to replace a pricey solenoid. i'm gonna do a complete flush and replace the filter. i also have to diagnose the speed sensor connections and the sensor itself. whatever the outcome i shall post it on here.
Old 01-14-10, 11:15 AM
bacaudio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your going to find metal shavings in any transmissions. That is why there is a magnet in there to catch them.
Old 01-16-10, 04:49 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bacaudio
Your going to find metal shavings in any transmissions. That is why there is a magnet in there to catch them.
There is a Universe of a difference between shavings gathered around a magnet in the drain pan, and shavings coming out with the fluid. It is a Definitely Bad Thing along with . . . blackened fluid as stated.
Colin