LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First post, with some questions.

Old 12-10-05, 03:29 PM
djfuzzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post, with some questions.

First of all, my name is Dustin. I drive a 1991 LS400, bought it from my grandparents in pristine condition this past May with 66K miles on it. Now it's at about 72K and the problems just keep pouring in, nothing major, I suppose, just enough to be irritating. The dilemma I have is I am 19 years old, and a waiter, and don't make enough money to have a dealer service the car. I am fairly knowledgeable of cars in general, but not foreign ones (hot rod family).

Secondly, the power steering pumps on these cars are crap. My grandparents just replaced it at 43K miles and here it is going bad again. I try (and pretty much have to) putting new fluid in about once every two weeks, or else the noise is unbearable and it sounds remotely like Chewbacca while navigating through parking lots. I am fairly sure I can replace it, but where should I get the part from? I am not looking to get dealer raped, and I am not too fond of getting a remanufactured unit from AZ or O'Reilly.

Next, I would also like to know where some of you would buy your alternators from. My battery stays charged for only about 4-5 days at a time, pretty aggrivating. It will drive great and then all of a sudden, the radio will start to cut out, then all the warning lights on the gauges flash repeatedly, then the car dies, then I get pissed off. Again, not looking for reman, and don't want a dealer rape.

This question is just because I was too lazy to look it up, hopefully someone can lend a hand here. Did LS400s in 1991 havea CD player option? If not, is there a factory option that will fit in the dash of the car? I want a CD player, but I don't want an aftermarket one.

I think that's all, sorry about the long read, but I like to elaborate. Thanks for any and all help I can get.

- Dustin -
Old 12-12-05, 01:30 AM
djfuzzy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help?
Old 12-12-05, 04:22 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Stock changer was in the trunk. I dont think it can be simply added to a car that did not come equiped.

Reman anything is generally just as good (90%) as brand new dealer. Also, most reman parts come with a warantee so there shouldnt be anything to worry about.
Old 12-12-05, 07:16 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, let's see..
If the power steering pump is located above the alternator, a high pressure hose leak or pump seal leak will ruin the alternator and it's voltage regulator unlt inside. As you leak fluid either from a hose or the pump seals, it does damage to rubber, paint and of course the alternator. The Lexus is 15 years old as are the major components. Replacement parts are very expensive on your budget. I would seriously consider replacing the auto with a newer model. This can be a money trap with your limited monies... Sorry !
Old 12-12-05, 12:31 PM
djfuzzy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tammy
Well, let's see..
If the power steering pump is located above the alternator, a high pressure hose leak or pump seal leak will ruin the alternator and it's voltage regulator unlt inside. As you leak fluid either from a hose or the pump seals, it does damage to rubber, paint and of course the alternator. The Lexus is 15 years old as are the major components. Replacement parts are very expensive on your budget. I would seriously consider replacing the auto with a newer model. This can be a money trap with your limited monies... Sorry !
So basically the tiny power steering leak is creating the alternator leak..that sucks. It's not like I don't make any money, about 500 a week, so I should be able to buy a new alternator and a new PS pump. I don't think I should jump into a newer model as this one still runs great, minus these minute problems, which don't really affect the running ability of the car. Thanks for the suggestions, I suppose I will go check with O'Reilly about the replacement parts.

Originally Posted by dfkd
Stock changer was in the trunk. I dont think it can be simply added to a car that did not come equiped.

Reman anything is generally just as good (90%) as brand new dealer. Also, most reman parts come with a warantee so there shouldnt be anything to worry about.
Alright, so I guess I will invest in an Ipod so I can have some good music in my car.
Old 12-12-05, 12:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Check our CL Vendors Carson Toyota and Lexus-Parts.com to see what kind of deals you can get on the parts. https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/link/category/6/

Could also look into just putting a used one in, pm member "Aliga" who is authorized to deal used parts on our forum, he's got some connecton that may help you out if you want to go the used budget route.
Old 12-12-05, 04:07 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dustin,

This should be an excellent car & well worth keeping a hold of. Where in the Lone Star State are you? If you are in Dallas or Houston it will not be hard to get mechanic references.
Let's get to work on your list.

First thing you need to know is the Bible of 1 st Generation Lexus maintenance: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/
This and the search function here at CL should help tremendously.

1) I paid $350.00 for my new Lexus PS pump that replaced my OEM which had 175,000 miles. To save money I also had the pressure hose rebuilt by a hydraulic hose shop for around $70.00. The hose should be replaced along with the pump or you get to do it all over again in short order. There after change your fluid regularly!!

2) Your alternator should be in good shape other than the PS Fluid dripping on it. There are rebuild kits from Toyota (brushes etc.)
90099-10192 Front Alt. Bearing
90099-10194 Rear Alt. Bearing
27370-75060 Brush & Holder

3) If the Head Unit has cd control functions then it will have wiring for a trunk cd changer. Search for member "lexusaudio" & he should be able to help you. Hopefully Vaistech will soon have an Ipod solution for us.

I have had good parts service from Carson, Darrel Diller at Sewell Dallas & from
mmolini@lexusofroseville.net
1-877-744-0411

Do yourself a favor & do not do your timing belt at 90,000 miles. Unless your Granny is a real surprise, my guess is that this vehicle has lead a fairly charmed & easy life. It will not damage your vehicle if it does break (non-interference engine) & will go well past this mileage.

Good luck!

This forum the members & the info within have saved me large amounts of money over the years. Search first then ask questions, throw money at the problem last.

Last edited by damon; 12-12-05 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-12-05, 05:54 PM
DDONK
Driver School Candidate

Default power steering issues

I simpatize, I need to top of the PS reservoir once a week, and I get a cloud of blue smoke on start up, I read somewhere that is because of the PS fluid reaching the exhaust somehow???
anybody?
Old 12-12-05, 08:02 PM
djfuzzy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks alot, Damon, for the suggestions. I live about 30 miles north of Houston, so I will hit the phone books tomorrow and find somewhere that can get me good parts for a decent price.

DaveGS4, thanks very much for the links, I am heading to Lexus-Parts right now.

I am just hoping the new pump and alternator will cut down on the whining noise the car makes while driving it.
Old 12-12-05, 08:23 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

DDonk,

Use the search function here. Your problem is the idle up valve located on the PS pump. When it fails fluid is ingested thru the vacuum lines into the manifold & out of the exhaust. The good news is that you don't really need the damn thing. My new pump works fine without it & I saved a few bucks. Search & find the procedure.

DJfuzzy, locate your leak, flush your fluid clean your solenoid screen & you might get a pleasant surprise. All known fixes here for those who use the search feature!!!!