LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1st timer here...help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 11:21 AM
GR8DNA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st timer here...help!

i saw the first post about the loose spark plug and i am going to go check it out on mine this evening! there is a slight ticking when the engine is running...sorry, it is a 92 lexus LS400...also, i contacted my buddy who is a mechanic and asked why the "TRAC OFF" and the ANTILOCK" symbols are up...he said it is probably just a dirty wheel sensor, or sensors...also the light indicating the brake light are out is on, did that come out right? well, he said a light must be out but none are, all of them work. he again said it is probably a dirty sensor or a bad sensor...i just got the ride with about 155XXX on it...it says on a sticker on the engine that the timing belt was replaced at 60XXX (actually like 57XXX) and i was wondering if anyone thinks i should get it done anyway...oh no!!!!can the ticking be related to a timing belt/chain on its way out? HELP!!!!!

by the way i am ever getting anything short of a lexus ever again!
Old 12-07-05, 12:19 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GR8DNA
i saw the first post about the loose spark plug and i am going to go check it out on mine this evening! there is a slight ticking when the engine is running...sorry, it is a 92 lexus LS400...also, i contacted my buddy who is a mechanic and asked why the "TRAC OFF" and the ANTILOCK" symbols are up...he said it is probably just a dirty wheel sensor, or sensors...also the light indicating the brake light are out is on, did that come out right? well, he said a light must be out but none are, all of them work. he again said it is probably a dirty sensor or a bad sensor...i just got the ride with about 155XXX on it...it says on a sticker on the engine that the timing belt was replaced at 60XXX (actually like 57XXX) and i was wondering if anyone thinks i should get it done anyway...oh no!!!!can the ticking be related to a timing belt/chain on its way out? HELP!!!!!

Trac off and check engine light on is if my memory serves me right is code 25 which is oxygen sensors. my sisters 92 does this everyday trac and check engine at the same time light flashes for a second and goes away there is a code list here somewhere but im real sure its code 25. Mine ticks and that ticking is normal from the research i have done. Timing belt should be done every 90k
Old 12-07-05, 01:20 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The ticking doesn't have anything to do with the timing belt.
Old 12-13-05, 11:19 AM
GR8DNA
Driver School Candidate

right...thanks for the correction about the belt/chain...as for the "ANTILOCK" and the "TRAC OFF"

i live in ny and just this morning when i got on the gas to get the car out of some snow the wheels were spinning and in the center of the speedo "TRAC" flashed until the wheels caught the ground...i thought this weird that the "TRAC OFF" and "ANTILOCK" lights went away when the car lost grip....then the lights came back on..

here is where i am confused...if the "antilock" and the "trac off" lights are lit but they are the only lights that ever do lite up, is it still the oxygen sensors? or could it be a problem with a faulty wheel sensor?

now if i do have to replace the oxygen sensors to make the traction control work again, do i have to do ALL of the oxygen sensors? if not, which ones would i need to replace first to see whats wrong? oh, and where can i get a timing chain fairly cheap? one of my friends has a shop and can do it for me.
Old 12-13-05, 10:57 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

how about giving us some codes that will help tons
Old 12-14-05, 02:08 PM
CaseeK
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Since i work as electrician and also on computer diagnosis in workshop. Oxygen sensor has nothing to do with TRAC and ABS. I have tested inside out my 92 LS400. There are three probabilities.
1.) Damaged wiring or sensor (1 is enough) TRAC and ABS use the same sensor.
2.) Accumulated dirt on sensors use high presure washer to clean it
3.) Acelerator position sensor out of range. When wheel is skiddin On Board computer drops RPM acording to information supplied by this sensor if the information fails it swiches of TRAC,
Old 12-14-05, 03:14 PM
GR8DNA
Driver School Candidate

now can i take the wheel sensors off a 94 or 95 model if my car is a 92? i am assuming i can.

should i go ahead and get them if i can? my buddy has a doner car for me to pick at...tires/wheels (factory), wheel sensors, ohhh! i should get the exhaust!,

off the topic----how many mies are their trannies good for with proper care?
Old 12-14-05, 03:58 PM
austxlexus
Rookie

now can i take the wheel sensors off a 94 or 95 model if my car is a 92? i am assuming i can.

should i go ahead and get them if i can? my buddy has a doner car for me to pick at...tires/wheels (factory), wheel sensors, ohhh! i should get the exhaust!,

off the topic----how many mies are their trannies good for with proper care?
Get the calipers too...they are an upgrade to your current ones.