LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 LS400 lock and anti-theft nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 03:14 AM
tccsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 LS400 lock and anti-theft nightmare!

Opened the driver's side door with the master key (need a battery for the remote). Then opened the trunk using the pull switch. Closed the trunk. An hour later, went to open the driver's side door with the master key and the lock prevented me from turning the key to the right to unlock the door. It would turn left to lock but not to the right. Went around to the passenger door and had trouble unlocking on that side as well. But that door finally unlocked with the alarm blaring. Jumped in the car and put the key in the ignition, turned it and the alarm went off but the car won't start. The car thinks I'm trying to steal it!! The trunk won't open, the manual lock buttons won't operate and I can't start the car. I would hate to pay a fortune to have Lexus look at this if all I need is a locksmith. Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-05, 03:41 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your right! the car thinks it is being stolen. What needs to be done to reset the anti theft device is you have to unlock the drivers door with the key. You might try disconecting the battery and hope that will reset the alarm but thats a shot in the dark.
Old 11-08-05, 04:26 AM
tccsmith
Driver School Candidate

We disconnected the battery but it didn't work. I'm trying to figure out if we took out the fuse for the anti-theft system and replaced it if that would work. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 11-08-05, 12:45 PM
absolut
Pole Position

what sonbum said is true. you have to lock and then unlock the driver's side door with the master key (remotely or manual works equally).
Old 11-08-05, 01:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Alternately, this may be mechanical wear of the key cylinder. You think how often the key is inserted, turned and withdrawn, it may be time for a new one after all these years.
Old 11-08-05, 05:49 PM
tccsmith
Driver School Candidate

Well, I have decided to have the car towed to lexus because all of you made me realize that this problem was definitely not a local locksmith situation. I think you're probably right about the cylinder. Since I can't turn the key in the locks to unlock the doors, I can't disable the theft system. Well, here comes a big bill.....
Old 11-08-05, 07:48 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tccsmith
Well, I have decided to have the car towed to lexus because all of you made me realize that this problem was definitely not a local locksmith situation. I think you're probably right about the cylinder. Since I can't turn the key in the locks to unlock the doors, I can't disable the theft system. Well, here comes a big bill.....
Might want to try those cylinder grease products (you insert the tip in keyhole, and press on the other end, and it sprays some kind of grease esp made for locks)... they help a lot in regular doors, and might be of some help to you... in any case its only a $4 solution that might save you a lot of money.
Old 11-08-05, 07:51 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

just found the product in my box... its called "Graphite Lubricant" made by victor. Its some sort of powder.... works wonders on home locks, and even tried it on the Lexus lock not too long ago.
Old 11-08-05, 11:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Grand's suggestions is worth the try...a key cylinder for my '97 after keying and install was ~$400.

Use any lubricat sparingly and especially if it is in a spray can. Keep in mind there are electronics attached to this key cylinder. While it is sealed, forcing a penetrating type lubricant may find a weak spot and migrate into something sensitive.
Old 01-03-11, 11:05 PM
otto
Driver School Candidate

Default I wonder what was the problem...got the same situation...

I curious to know what was the problem...I stuck with same program...can anyone report solutions?
Opened the driver's side door with the master key (need a battery for the remote). Then opened the trunk using the pull switch. Closed the trunk. An hour later, went to open the driver's side door with the master key and the lock prevented me from turning the key to the right to unlock the door. It would turn left to lock but not to the right. Went around to the passenger door and had trouble unlocking on that side as well. But that door finally unlocked with the alarm blaring. Jumped in the car and put the key in the ignition, turned it and the alarm went off but the car won't start. The car thinks I'm trying to steal it!! The trunk won't open, the manual lock buttons won't operate and I can't start the car. I would hate to pay a fortune to have Lexus look at this if all I need is a locksmith. Any suggestions?
Old 01-03-11, 11:13 PM
otto
Driver School Candidate

Default I wonder what was the problem...got the same situation...

I curious to know what was the problem...I stuck with same program...can anyone report any solutions?This an issue for since I need my car to travel any feedback appreciated..

Old 01-04-11, 04:22 AM
Enotil
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me twice and it was a serious panic for me since my car was parked near a police station...lol locally i fixed it before **** got of hand.

i basically did the same as mentioned...force my way in and disable the alarm from sounding from there i remembered from past experience if your lock is stuck theres no way to disable the alarm by key. So i took of the door panels and checked it physically.

theres a plastic round switch that swivels along with the key cylinder it pries off easily but to do this without breaking it.. you must use your head. but since its a delicate material i suggest you be careful because i had to replace that POS anyways most likely the dealership would **** their pants trying to fix this unless they know what to do.
Old 01-10-11, 06:32 PM
otto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot....I actually did the same thing when I was trying to disable the alarm and found out on driver side door had a plastic swith on the key cylinder and it was cracked therefore it was causing the alarm to stay on.. so I got some krazy glue and put it back to the key cynlinder and waited for a few hours and then the alarm didn't go off..and my car turn on...
Originally Posted by Enotil
this happened to me twice and it was a serious panic for me since my car was parked near a police station...lol locally i fixed it before **** got of hand.

i basically did the same as mentioned...force my way in and disable the alarm from sounding from there i remembered from past experience if your lock is stuck theres no way to disable the alarm by key. So i took of the door panels and checked it physically.

theres a plastic round switch that swivels along with the key cylinder it pries off easily but to do this without breaking it.. you must use your head. but since its a delicate material i suggest you be careful because i had to replace that POS anyways most likely the dealership would **** their pants trying to fix this unless they know what to do.
Old 01-12-11, 06:08 AM
Enotil
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you fixed that problem...there are plenty more to go a long the way.Fortunately, this place helps A LOT.