LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How Does Dealer Clear Sunroof Drain Holes to stop Leaks???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 06:16 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Does Dealer Clear Sunroof Drain Holes to stop Leaks???

Can Anyone tell me how the Dealer Clears or Unblocks Clogs in Sunroof Drain holes on the LS400 models. I believe mine are clogged and get dripping wet leak from Headliner after rains or carwashes.

Is there any way to clear these myself?? I have tried to push an 1/8 inch firm, yet flexible wound wire with plastic coating and also a clutch cable down and it gets hung up on both the front hole going down from the sunroof within 3 inches, due to a bend in the drain; and also when trying to push the wire cable up from the rear drain in the back from the trunk drain outlet, upwards, within about 4 inches due to a bend in the drain. HELPPP PLEASEE. Winter is coming and I dont want to be wet continually. THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS
Old 11-04-05, 12:06 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this problem on a Honda and on an Acura that I previously owned. Both of the dealerships used compressed air with a special nozzle to open the drains. I would assume the Lexus dealerships do the same.

Earlier this week, I had this problem on my 93 LS. The right front drain was clogged, and water was dripping from the headliner. I was able to get it open by running plastic trimmer line down the opening. Just as you mentioned, I first had problems getting past the turn that you quickly encounter. But I kept poking, and it finally moved past this point. I suspect that the clog was at that turn.

Yesterday, I spent about an hour cleaning out all the dirt that had accumulated in the sunroof assembly. It seems logical to me that if there is less dirt and debris in the assembly, there is less likelihood of a clog.
The following users liked this post:
UNCNOR (10-12-17)
Old 11-04-05, 12:36 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Which part of the sunroof/headliner does it leak? I know from other Toyota models that the a-pillars have a little hose that runs down to drain the water from the front of the sunroof, with that in mind, you can carefully remove your a-pillar mouldings and check for clogs etc. Hope that helps.

hey, what part of va are you located at?
Old 11-04-05, 11:03 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer to clean mine every spring with wd 40 or anotehr typ of lube.
I would get PB blaster and start spraying it in small amounts in all of your drains to slowly work its way through. Or else you will get a large stain on the fabric.
UNCNOR (10-12-17)
Old 11-05-05, 06:28 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

where are these drain holes located?
Old 11-05-05, 08:46 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Default Sunroof Drain Hole Locations

If you have a sun/moon roof, on my 1994 LS400 there is a water drain hole located in the sunroof frame (outside, not inside the car) in the front corners on the drivers side and passengers side. You will see a small hole slightly larger than 1/8 Inch that allows rain water that gets between your seal on the outside of the closed sunroof and the inside, to drain down these holes which go down to the wheel wells and drain outside the car, before the seat of the sunroof accumates so much water that it leaks into the top liner of the car near the sunroof and then all over you :-).

I have not been able to see the two holes located on each side of the rear of the sunroof, but I am told that you can access these drain holes by going in from the bottom of the drain hole which is located inside the rear liner panel on each side of the trunk.
But I still am not sure how to clear mine, which are clogged, without a large dealer charge. CuMAN suggested that he used Plastic Trimmer Line from a weedwacker and push them through. I am going to try this, this weekend. Ill let everyone know the results, but if there are any other suggestions please post

Another post said that you can dis-assemble the A-Pillar that the hole is located in, but I think you must have to do this from the inside and it sounds very complicated; it seems that even if you did dissamble the covering on the pillar that you still could not get inside the sealed hole, unless you accessed it from the top or bottom openings.???
Old 11-05-05, 12:00 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Depending on how much water in leaking into the car is a probable indication as to how much blockage you're dealing with.
With that said, on my previous Toyota sunroof car I was able to remove the a-pillar plastic cover and get access to the drain tube (which was clear plastic) and visually inspect it, then I was able to remove the top part ( the part that actually connects to the sunroof drain hole, and blow pressured air to clear the entire tube out. This worked for me. Good luck.
Old 09-18-07, 03:28 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any body lube the moon roof gear track ?

If so, how often and what kind of grease is required? Thank you.
Old 09-18-07, 07:54 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

i've had this problem before on my previous car after it rained. Blowing air through the hole(s) help clear the drain out.
Old 09-20-07, 02:15 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

i gotta do this. mine drips during heavy rains..
Old 09-13-12, 08:41 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

i have got to try this ours is pouring!! has anyone ever found the seal to be leakin?
Old 09-15-12, 10:35 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

My sunroof had a leak that would drip through the sunroof control panel after driving through a heavy rain.
After many failed attempts to fix I tried something I read about on here that was so simple I couldnt believe it worked.
When you tilt the sunroof up then close it back, the aging weatherstripping cannot seal properly.
If you retract the sunroof then close it normally without using tilt, a good seal can be made and it will never leak again.

...unless you decide to tilt it again.
UNCNOR (10-12-17)
Old 09-15-12, 06:47 PM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

All sunroof seals leak, at least a little. But there are four gutter drain holes that channel the water out of the gutter. If any of the hoses/holes become plugged, and the car is parked at the right incline, the gutter can overflow and drip somewhere along the headliner. The two front drain holes are easy to see and blow through to clean. The rear are nearly impossible to see, unless you drop the headliner a few inches. But the drain lines can usually be found inside the C pillar, and exit near the bottom of it, or they can be located passing inside the trunk. Either way, those can also be cleaned by blowing back towards the sunroof. In some cases, the hoses may have kinked/cracked, or come off the gutter nipple, allowing water to drain on top of the headliner. This can only be fixed by lowering the headliner enough to get access to the hoses. BTW, depending on your model, there may be curtain air bags up there, so be sure to disconnect your battery before trying to drop the headliner.

Last edited by fixmiester; 09-15-12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 11:22 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a great thread!
Old 10-12-17, 12:08 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMan
I had this problem on a Honda and on an Acura that I previously owned. Both of the dealerships used compressed air with a special nozzle to open the drains. I would assume the Lexus dealerships do the same.

Earlier this week, I had this problem on my 93 LS. The right front drain was clogged, and water was dripping from the headliner. I was able to get it open by running plastic trimmer line down the opening. Just as you mentioned, I first had problems getting past the turn that you quickly encounter. But I kept poking, and it finally moved past this point. I suspect that the clog was at that turn.

Yesterday, I spent about an hour cleaning out all the dirt that had accumulated in the sunroof assembly. It seems logical to me that if there is less dirt and debris in the assembly, there is less likelihood of a clog.
What is plastic trimmer line?

Quick Reply: How Does Dealer Clear Sunroof Drain Holes to stop Leaks???