LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 11:08 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know old post, but i just bought tanabes for my 90 ls and was wishy washy on what shocks to buy. So I guess I should stay away from tokico's then and go with the kyb gr-2's then? thank you
Old 06-05-07, 11:39 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lspower
i know old post, but i just bought tanabes for my 90 ls and was wishy washy on what shocks to buy. So I guess I should stay away from tokico's then and go with the kyb gr-2's then? thank you
I would still get the Tokico's, becuase I believe the kyb's are a lot softer.. and with less suspension travel, you're more likely to bottom out on those. I think the above post is just an example of a bad set of shocks.
Old 06-06-07, 01:48 PM
takumi117
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the kyb's with the tanabe's, it's really good IMO. But for me i read a lot of bad reviews of the tokico's also everyone else tells me there not good. So thats y i got the kyb's. Good luck on which ever you choose!
Old 06-09-07, 01:23 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Installing the KYB's was probably one of the best moves I made from the Tokico's, and I had not been happeir. Still have my original set since I switched over (almost a year ago) and RARELY bottom out EVER; and I am a big boy standing 6'1" 275 plus. My ride is a little stiffer tan stock b/c I run this setup along with the Daizen Polyurethane bushings. Car handles amazing on most roads and cornering response is alot better as well.
Old 06-10-07, 11:33 AM
lspower
Pole Position

thanks for the replys once i get them on and get my new upper control arm bushings on my suspension should be right where i want it
Old 08-02-07, 11:39 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tanabe DF210 springs

yay or nay? i just went to replace my rear struts and look what the mechanic found!
http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic0007kf1.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic0006cc9.jpg
their phone camera pics so im sorry for the bad quality.
ok so these are 290 from the tanabe website, anywhere else that i can get a cheaper price? also i know H&R makes lowering springs but cant find them, and i saw the Eibach pro kit springs and they say it drops 1 inch F/R but i've read in previous threads that say it lowers 2 inchs. can someone confirm the drop?
Old 08-02-07, 12:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

eibach lowers 1-1.5in

i wouldnt use tanabes unless i was going with Bilstein shocks, they lower a bit more than what i think the KYB could take for an extended period of time.

contact Carson for tanabe springs.
Old 08-02-07, 12:08 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

hmm and i just got the KYB GR-2 installed. and i looked at the ltuned website and its $340 lol.
Old 08-02-07, 12:33 PM
eerrrrr
Rookie

ebay is ur friend. just got my tanabes for around 220 shipped to my door. h&r's r on there too if ur looking for them but they dont seem to drop as much as the tanabes and r a bit more expensive. i dont know were to find eibach's.
Old 08-02-07, 12:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
hmm and i just got the KYB GR-2 installed. and i looked at the ltuned website and its $340 lol.
note i said "CALL"

and make sure u takl to Luis or Steve
Old 08-04-07, 03:00 AM
jasonm
Lead Lap

luxurymods.com, Hann will hook you up.
Old 08-04-07, 06:15 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

i just pmed Steve from carson and theyre price they listed was a mistake, he gave me the price of $242 and free shipping. but eerrrr what shocks/struts are u running?
Old 08-04-07, 07:48 AM
eerrrrr
Rookie

right now im just on stock suspension. ill be ordering some tokico blues next week.
Old 08-04-07, 09:49 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Li delsior,,man ,, nasty spring pics. Hurts just looking at them. LOL
Eibach has 2 different kits---
Eibach Prokit-- 1 - 1.5 inch drop
Eibach (Regular) Springs - 2 inch or more drop

H&R - 1-1.5 inch drop
Tanabe - not sure, close to 2 inch or more drop

These numbers ar based upon drop after final car settlement on the new springs.
KYB GR'-2's - good shocks, really close to stock ride and performance
Tokico Blues'- I am biased b/c I blew out 2 complete sets of these shocks in under 5 months. My car is only driven every other weekend, due to me driving tractor trailers for a living; and I am home only every other weekend. IMO has a real spongy, sloshy feel to them on the H&R's. Really was not happy with them. Livimg in the Eastern half of the US, these shocks IMO are crappy, especially in areas where roads are not always the best. For EERRRR, they may work fine with the better roads there in Cali, but over here on the east coast, unless you want to have a lot of headaches,, dont do them.
Bilsteins- have no knowledge of them for the first gen, Pure drifter seems to know a little more on the subject than I do.

Last edited by trukn1; 08-05-07 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 02:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by trukn1
Li delsior,,man ,, nasty spring pics. Hurts just looking at them. LOL
Eibach has 2 different kits---
Eibach Prokit-- 1 - 1.5 inch drop
Eibach (Regular) Springs - 2 inch or more drop

H&R - 1-1.5 inch drop
Tanabe - not sure, close to 2 inch or more drop

These numbers ar based upon drop after final car settlement on the new springs.
KYB GR'-2's - good shocks, really close to stock ride and performance
[B]Tokico Blues'-[/B-] I am biased b/c I blew out 2 complete sets of these shocks in under 5 months. My car is only driven every other weekend, due to me driving tractor trailers for a living; and I am home only every other weekend. IMO has a real spongy, sloshy feel to them on the H&R's. Really was not happy with them. Livimg in the Eastern half of the US, these shocks IMO are crappy, especially in areas where roads are not always the best. For EERRRR, they may work fine with the better roads there in Cali, but over here on the east coast, unless you want to have a lot of headaches,, dont do them.
Bilsteins- have no knowledge of them for the first gen, Pure drifter seems to know a little more on the subject than I do.
good write up

KYBs are prolly ur best bet as the tokikos have been known to implode prematurely.

the DF210s will be tooo low for them tho, and will prolly cause w/e spring you're using to die prematurely (but prolly not QUICKLY).

personally id recco the KYB and either the H&R or the Eibach Prokit, as the shocks will actually be able to take the drop without as much stress.

Bilstein never made shocks for the 1LS, only 95+

Quick Reply: Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)