LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)

Old 06-15-11, 09:40 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Tanabe Springs + Spacer = Long Strut Life ?

I'm interested in getting my car lowered and think the Tanabe's fit the bill. However, I've heard that they kill strut life due to the soft nature as well as the significant drop. I'm not interested in much stiffer springs (H&Rs).

If I were to add a 1/2" coil spacer to the top of the springs that would reduce shock bottoming thus extending shock life.

Thoughts?

I've also though about modding the lower perch to lower the car with the stock springs in a similar way that the Bilstiens do. I've heard that Bilstiens aren't any good with the OEM springs or I would just get those and be done.

Thoughts?

Thanks for looking out of the box with me.
Matt
Old 06-15-11, 04:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it would also negate the drop by 1/2 inch.....and that's IF this all fit.
Old 06-16-11, 06:14 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not interested in much stiffer springs (H&Rs).
I am on H&R's on my 92 and honestly they are not much, only a little stiffer, than stock and are still very comfortable. Have been on them now for more than 4 years now. With you having a 99, you of course have more options to lower than I did. Just my $.02.
Old 07-15-12, 07:03 PM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To remedy the reduced life of the strut due to lowering, you can take the struts to a machine shop, have the shaft cut the same amount as the amount being lowered and then rethreaded.
Old 01-06-13, 09:58 PM
antech
Driver School Candidate

Default 1998-2000 ls with tanabe lowering springs

Hello,

Anyone who has had put the Tanabes on your 1998-2000 ls 400, not the coilovers. Did the rear coil spring have any play between the top hat and the bottom of the strut plate when the wheels are off the ground, example when you lift the rear of the car up to change a tire etc...I have had bad experience with some coil springs brands when this happens on my prius using H&R lowering springs, everytime I jacked the car up I had to re'align the springs again when lowering the car back down, it got really old. I don't want to experience this again.

Or, is the fit nice and tight with no play between the top hat and bottom strut plate. I am assuming the front is nice and tight. Thanks for your time.

I have looked into getting eibach and the H&R but the drop is only 1 inch . I am not interested in getting coilovers.
Old 01-07-13, 01:22 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 has the same shocks/ pring setup as 98-00
and on mine there is ablsolutely no play..
There should not be.
Old 01-07-13, 01:29 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

+1

I have them on my 99. They are really nice. Great balance of performance and comfort. I suggest you replace your struts when you do the springs.
Old 01-07-13, 07:04 PM
antech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by antech
Hello,

1/06/2013 : Anyone who has had put the Tanabes on your 1998-2000 ls 400, not the coilovers. Did the rear coil spring have any play between the top hat and the bottom of the strut plate when the wheels are off the ground, example when you lift the rear of the car up to change a tire etc...I have had bad experience with some coil springs brands when this happens on my prius using H&R lowering springs, everytime I jacked the car up I had to re'align the springs again when lowering the car back down, it got really old. I don't want to experience this again.

Or, is the fit nice and tight with no play between the top hat and bottom strut plate. I am assuming the front is nice and tight. Thanks for your time.

I have looked into getting eibach and the H&R but the drop is only 1 inch . I am not interested in getting coilovers.
1/07/2012 : Thank you for your quick replies regarding my question, I have placed an order for a set of Tanabes. I have already purchased 4 new struts and new front strut top plate and rubber insulators .
Old 01-08-13, 03:12 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rubber bumpers are important too.
Old 01-08-13, 02:54 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate it or love it, my df210 springs are cut 2 coils in the back and 1 in the front... my cars been riding great for 2 years with many long distance travel with never bottoming out or anything... sits pretty low and never noticed much of a drive difference. since then I have bought and installed Megan EZs and the ride feels just about the same to me except I can drop the rear a bit more to give it a better stance... I always hear people go against cut springs b/c of screwed up spring rate and watnot. Never had an issue other than scraping exhaust on speed bumps... yet again it still does with my coils. Just my 2 cents and experience with cut lowering springs and after market wheels.
Old 07-10-13, 08:36 PM
AFLS400
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice springs but too low

I installed DF210 springs with Sensen stocks but it lowered the car too much.The ride was too bumpy and the wheels (18x8 wheels, 235/45r18 tires) rubbed on turns.
Old 07-10-13, 10:22 PM
MValentine
Driver

I ended up going with the Tanabe DF210 Springs and KYB Excel-G Struts. It lowered the car to where I personally like it. No more 4X4 mode look. It is a bit on the soft side for my liking. But personally, I was looking for something that is near factory ride quality with a lowered look. I also have a Tanabe STB, and the car does feels more spirited in corning and alot less body roll aswell. Overall, Im satisfied with how it feels, and looks.

Old 07-11-13, 02:32 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MValentine
I ended up going with the Tanabe DF210 Springs and KYB Excel-G Struts. It lowered the car to where I personally like it. No more 4X4 mode look. It is a bit on the soft side for my liking. But personally, I was looking for something that is near factory ride quality with a lowered look. I also have a Tanabe STB, and the car does feels more spirited in corning and alot less body roll aswell. Overall, Im satisfied with how it feels, and looks.

What does STB stand for?
Old 07-11-13, 09:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

guessing strut tower brace. They don't actually do much on LS400s as we don't have much lateral loading placed on the shock towers due to the type of front suspension we have.
Old 07-11-13, 10:13 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
guessing strut tower brace. They don't actually do much on LS400s as we don't have much lateral loading placed on the shock towers due to the type of front suspension we have.
Ohhhhh! Ok thank you Drifter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)