LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 03:04 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wait ur saying my kyb shocks wont hold up with the tanabe springs? damn i wanted the 2inch drop too lol, next mod was gonna be mrr hr3 wheels .
Old 08-04-07, 03:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

theyl work but they wont last long as the shock is soft anyways and with a 2in. drop spring on it its going to be bottoming out and limiting a LOT.
Old 08-04-07, 10:13 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, PureDrifter is right. I had the Tanabe's and Tokico HP and they worked awesome. It would be a pretty rare that the tire would hit the inner fender but with a softer kyb, I am sure it would have happened. The rear is not the problem, it's the front.
I had kyb's on another lowered car and they felt too close to stock for my taste...had about 4 sets of Tokico's on different cars and never a problem. Hp's are great, Illumina's might not be worth the money for a street car.
Old 08-05-07, 06:56 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonm
Ya, PureDrifter is right. I had the Tanabe's and Tokico HP and they worked awesome. It would be a pretty rare that the tire would hit the inner fender but with a softer kyb, I am sure it would have happened. The rear is not the problem, it's the front.
I had kyb's on another lowered car and they felt too close to stock for my taste...had about 4 sets of Tokico's on different cars and never a problem. Hp's are great, Illumina's might not be worth the money for a street car.
That's funny, I had exactly the opposite results as you with the HP's. I had Tokico Hp's with H&R springs(which only dropped 1") and I went through two complete sets in under 5 months, and my car bottomed out ALOT. Like I stated in my previous post earlier, my car is only driven every other weekend. The Hp's were too soft and mushy for the roads in my area. The KYB's, while being close to stock, seem to hold up a lot better here on the east coast where the roads are not so good. I hardly ever bottom out now and, I have not had to replace them once since installing them over a year ago.
Li, you can still get a 2 inch drop, if that is truly what you want, by getting the Eibach ProKit springs. They should work fine with your Kyb's. Just keep in mind, that the LS is a very heavy car, so after settling on the springs, your drop will probably be closer to 2.25 inches. You are also gonna have to change your tire size to a lower profile (less rubber) b/c you will rub at speeds above 65. If you ever notice, and I didnt until I dropped the car, the car itself lowers itself a little at speeds above 65. 2" drop with stock tire size will equal rubbing, I found out the hard way. Pure also said that you can use the Tanabe springs with the KYB's but be prepared to change out your shocks alot sooner than normal. With you being here on the east coast area, it will probably be wiser to run the KYB shock with either the H&R's (what I run personally), or the Eibach's. Just depends how low you wanna go, and just how much you wanna have to change the shocks. The Tanabe's in this area are most likely, not a good idea especially if you are looking for something that is relatively low maintenance.

Last edited by trukn1; 08-05-07 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-05-07, 07:06 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

thanks for the info trukn, does it really lower 2" when over 65? i didnt know that lol. hmm now i gotta find the eibach prokit springs at a lower price lol.
Old 08-05-07, 07:54 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

The car itself settles down, a little, on the chasis when you are traveling at speeds above 65 to improve aerodynamics. I didn't say that it settles 2 inches. The Eibach Prokit will drop your car 2inches, and by the time the chasis settles onto those springs (breakin period), your DROP will be a little over 2 inches. This does not include, the slight settlement of the car when traveling above 65. This is why I said, you will have to go with a lower profile tire if you go with a 2 inch drop.
My setup is as follows--
Before I was running:
225/60/16 tires (stock size for our first gens is 205/50/15 if I remember correct). I was already running a tire that was 1" (60 series over a 50 series) that was larger than stock.
Stock springs.
This setup worked fine. No rubbing,, looked like it was dropped and it wasnt.
After drop, could not turn wheel full to left/right, would rub at speeds above 65. This will be the same result for you with a 2" drop on the stock size tires.

This is a pic of my stock tires on a 1 inch drop. Sorry, didnt have one from direct on side. Look carefully and you can pretty much see that I am almost sitting on the tires. 1" tire too big + 1 inch drop = actual 2" drop result and rubbed.

Now, am currently running 235/40/18 rims (still plenty of meat on the tires) with the KYB's and the H&R springs. No bottoming out (except with really hard dips,, not slowing down enough). 1 inch was plenty of drop for me b/c I wanted some meat on my tires; especially since I do not have time to play fix the bent rim. I have a 1 finger gap between my tires and fender now, minimal rub, and plenty of tire to protect the rim. Like I stated before, if you gonna go 2 or more inch drop here on the east coast, be prepared for ride quality not being so good and PLENTY of bottoming out. Here is my ride as she sits now,,
Old 08-05-07, 07:38 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

hmm, thanks for the info trukn, i got the same exact rims as u had in the old pic, im gonna rethink my spring situation for now.
Old 08-05-07, 11:45 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
hmm, thanks for the info trukn, i got the same exact rims as u had in the old pic, im gonna rethink my spring situation for now.
No problem man,, 1 inch drop with stock tires will be fine unless you are like me and running the wrong size stockers anyway. LOL!!! If you have to correct stock size, 1 inch drop will be fine. 2 inch drop with stock tires will merit you having to buy new tires with a lower profile to avoid rubbing and such. Not to mention a 2 inch drop on our side of the world is gonna merit a really rough ride, especially with you being in NY and all.
Old 08-06-07, 08:32 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

lol true, i was thinking of gettin the mrr hr3's with a 2 inch drop but im gonna get the prokit then if its like u said it is.
Old 08-07-07, 01:07 AM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the Tokicos like the cali weather and the Kyb's like the New York weather.
Old 08-24-07, 06:45 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I Have Tanabe Springs On Bilstein Shocks. To Ensure It Stays There. I Was Ehhhhh About KYB I Dont Think It Can Handle The Pressure. THe Bilstein Shock Are More Stiff. Wish They Made Tokico Shocks Fo My Car.
Old 08-26-07, 12:18 AM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the KYB GR-2's and the Tanabe 210's on my 1998 Lexus. For 4 months now, I have been very satisfied with the ride quality and the lowering. For 2nd gen LS's, it lowered (after settling) about 1.5 in. all around. This is the perfect lowering hight for me, since it leaves room for speedbumps, doors don't scrape on the curb, and front bumper clears the parking space blocks.

I drive 40min each way to work, and my ride is still better than any other car I ride in, plus you get the improved handleing, breaking, and acceleration.

I recommend!

jerms
Old 08-26-07, 12:24 AM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if only u had a 2nd gen.. my springs are up for sale
Old 12-20-07, 06:57 AM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best place to buy Tanabe springs and KYB shocks? UCF20

I've decided to get the tanabe/kyb combo.

Tanabe - because everything else doesn't seem like it would get me enough of a drop

KYB - because I want to save some of the ride quality

So, where is the best place (cheapest) to buy Tanabe DF210 springs and KYB shocks for a 98 LS?

Thanks

PS. I need a new battery, suggestions?
Old 12-20-07, 02:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

unless u wanna pay a boatload for shipping i suggest buying from somewhere within canada

the other (more northernly) guys should be able to chime in on good sources

Quick Reply: Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)