LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering Is Gone.. Need Advice/tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 08:43 PM
smokey0066
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering Is Gone.. Need Advice/tips

hey guys. My 98 ls400(65k) ps just went today. Its really hard to turn the steering wheel when i'm not movinb but once I get going its okay. The resevoir is full but the fluid is dark. There are no leaks that I know of. The only noises I hear are when I'm sitting still and i try to turn the wheel. It makes a noise like the system is over loaded (kind of like when you're turned the wheel full lock and the ps pump makes that weird noise).. I assume that means my ps pump is shot but I dunno. Don't know too much about this stuff.

I'm bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow 45mins away and I'm going to have to check it out. I know this will be spendy but since they'll be in there working with the ps system what else should i have them fix/look at. Do you think with parts/labor this will break 1k? I figure if its over 1k I'll have to take it somewhere else independant. ALso i did some reading on here today and noticed that this was an issue with the previous generation. Since 98 was the first year of this new generation could there still be some bugs to cause the ps to go out so early?

I called up a couple local shops and they all said its okay to drive it as long as theres fluid in there and I can steer. I'm going to take my time tomorrow morning as I know I won't be able to react quickly to anything. Should i call a flat bed or am i okay?
Old 09-20-05, 11:06 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My power steering went out a couple months ago, I recommend taking it too an independent shop. my problem was with my power steering pump which needed to be replaced. if that winds up being your problem just make sure that your mechanic replaces BOTH the pump and the hose. I went throught several sessions of the ps going out to learn that.. -_-

As for driving youll be fine.. you just wont have to stop by the gym later that day

If you want to do it yourself then this guy knows his stuff http://www.lexls.com
Old 09-21-05, 06:53 AM
smokey0066
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So I just dropped off the car. The car drove fine this morning. I spoke with the service advisor and he said they since the problem isnt there they may not find anything wrong.

They also pushed the 60k service which was 720 out the door. +100 for tranny flush. I was just thinking about getting the fluids flushed brakes, coolant, tranny and steering.. but when they broke the price down it was something close to 500 for just those. So for 200 more it would include alot of other things such as allignment; diff fluid, rotation of tires, check over all the hoses/belts, air filters for the motor and cabin..

Depending on the issue with the power steering, if its not too big, I'll probably have this service done as well. Do you guys think its worth it. I'm sure if i sourced it independantly it'd be cheaper but Since its already in the shop and I'm more confident that they know what they're doing vs some shop down the street. I dont know of a good independent lexus service in the twin cities and there are only 2 dealers in this city.