LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How easy is it to change a headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 10:05 AM
OrangeCrsh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy is it to change a headlight?

Okay, so I picked up a a '95 LS400.

I am a bit of a tinkerer and I love to work on my own cars. The LS400 I picked up has a broken headlight lens. Apparently, The headlight is available only as an entire assembly. I picked up the assembly yesterday, but it seems like the entire front end of the car has to be disassembled in order to get at some of the bolts that hold this assembly on the car.

Is there an easier way to do this? Can someone give me the procedure for this replacement?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-05, 09:56 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forums.

You don't need to disassemble the whole front end. All you need to do is get the whole headlight assembly (that includes the black bracket that holds the headlight and foglight) by unscrewing some bolts/nuts/screws.

Here's a tutorial:
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/kno..._v2&id=191&c=7

Be careful when removing the parking light...some members have cracked the parking light housing by using excessive force to rip it out.
Old 08-04-05, 08:03 AM
OrangeCrsh
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for that excellent link.

I'll attack it later this evening.

I have been doing some serious reading on this car and, in particular, this engine.

I have to wonder how well this sucker would take to an old fashioned hogging of the intake and exhaust ports...Maybe take some metal out of the intake manifold as well...

Get some headers fabricated....

3 inch ehaust.....

Hmmmmm
Old 08-04-05, 12:01 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Headers have been fabricated just recently. Contact Jbrady via PM for that. You may also want to search for his posts/threads on exhaust setups...they're very informative.
Old 08-07-05, 06:47 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OrangeCrsh
Thank you very much for that excellent link.

I'll attack it later this evening.

I have been doing some serious reading on this car and, in particular, this engine.

I have to wonder how well this sucker would take to an old fashioned hogging of the intake and exhaust ports...Maybe take some metal out of the intake manifold as well...

Get some headers fabricated....

3 inch ehaust.....

Hmmmmm

Port velocity yields torque, which a four liter motor needs... I could see a polish and a three angle valve job but porting isn't really going to help much once you see how large the ports are currently.

Stock exhaust is okay... it could flow better if it had two muffers versus four, 2.25" true duals would work very well.