LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My TPS issues resolved, small guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 05:22 PM
phillipin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My TPS issues resolved, small guide

Ok ive been posting like a million times over about my ping and tps issues.....

So today i went to homedepot to get replacement screws for the tps, they didnt have the right sized metric. After work i went to ACE Hardware and a guy came up asked what i was looking for, i said a 4.7mm hex or allen screw that is very very durable. He asked me what i was using them for I explain, he said these will do and gave me some very beefy 3mm head allen screws and stainless washers. So here is where my 150k mile old tps revelation came in.

I took out the mangled screws with sheer brute force and swapped in the allens. Perfect fit and damn you can really torque those down. I adjusted the tps and got an idle of 650-700. After realising before that the screws werent ight enough and causing the tps so rotate if i quickly mashed the throttle i turned off the car, mashed the throttle quick and fast 5-6 times and started the car. My idle went back up to 1300. So i thought to myself, no way possible that thing is rotating and the screws not biting hard enough. I thought that the tps uses rotation and resistance so hrmmm.

I started the car, loosend the screws a tad and rotated it all the way to the right, and to my disbelief the car was at 700rpm idle, i rev it to 5000 in park. Dropped down to 700 again. So i turned off the car and stabbed the throttle a few times turned it back on even after a 4 minutes idle it was at 13-1400. So i adjusted the tps down to right above all the way to the left. The idle is about at 500-550 which is how it was when i bought the car.

So i turned off the car stabbed it a bunch and repeated this a few times. It held at 500-550 rpm idle. Drove it around it was nice and smooth again. For some reason my old TPS can only go above 1300 and only go below 600. Their is no inbetween. Im sure it old and needs to be replaced but still i like to get the most outta it. I can live with the silent 550rpm idle.

I will of course go back later and do some more testing, but it seems maybe if you have issues with your tps and reving to low or high at idle this technique may help you out. Just turn off the car and stab the gas a few times, it seems like this will give the tps true reading when turned back on. Before when i kept adjusting the tps i would get the perfect 650-700rpm ilde but after 10 minutes it would be back up to 1300ish.

Hope this can help someone

EDIT:

so basically i'm back to as if i just bought the car with the low ping, but after new tranny fluid diff fluid ngk plugs power steering fluid air filter ect... it definitely grew more *****, you can feel the power alot more
Old 07-20-05, 08:26 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phillipin
Ok ive been posting like a million times over about my ping and tps issues.....

So today i went to homedepot to get replacement screws for the tps, they didnt have the right sized metric. After work i went to ACE Hardware and a guy came up asked what i was looking for, i said a 4.7mm hex or allen screw that is very very durable. He asked me what i was using them for I explain, he said these will do and gave me some very beefy 3mm head allen screws and stainless washers. So here is where my 150k mile old tps revelation came in.

I took out the mangled screws with sheer brute force and swapped in the allens. Perfect fit and damn you can really torque those down. I adjusted the tps and got an idle of 650-700. After realising before that the screws werent ight enough and causing the tps so rotate if i quickly mashed the throttle i turned off the car, mashed the throttle quick and fast 5-6 times and started the car. My idle went back up to 1300. So i thought to myself, no way possible that thing is rotating and the screws not biting hard enough. I thought that the tps uses rotation and resistance so hrmmm.

I started the car, loosend the screws a tad and rotated it all the way to the right, and to my disbelief the car was at 700rpm idle, i rev it to 5000 in park. Dropped down to 700 again. So i turned off the car and stabbed the throttle a few times turned it back on even after a 4 minutes idle it was at 13-1400. So i adjusted the tps down to right above all the way to the left. The idle is about at 500-550 which is how it was when i bought the car.

So i turned off the car stabbed it a bunch and repeated this a few times. It held at 500-550 rpm idle. Drove it around it was nice and smooth again. For some reason my old TPS can only go above 1300 and only go below 600. Their is no inbetween. Im sure it old and needs to be replaced but still i like to get the most outta it. I can live with the silent 550rpm idle.

I will of course go back later and do some more testing, but it seems maybe if you have issues with your tps and reving to low or high at idle this technique may help you out. Just turn off the car and stab the gas a few times, it seems like this will give the tps true reading when turned back on. Before when i kept adjusting the tps i would get the perfect 650-700rpm ilde but after 10 minutes it would be back up to 1300ish.

Hope this can help someone

EDIT:

so basically i'm back to as if i just bought the car with the low ping, but after new tranny fluid diff fluid ngk plugs power steering fluid air filter ect... it definitely grew more *****, you can feel the power alot more
u have what we call a HOLE in ur tps. the only ways i check tps is finding the sensor wire and dvom. read voltage at rest and slowly move it to wide open. when u see a huge drop all of a sudden then u confirmed its a bad tps. but from what ur talkin about u need a new tps. and if u can grab a scan tool tps% should be at 14+-2%
Old 07-20-05, 08:49 PM
phillipin
Driver

sounds good, i'll run it at its current setting with 500-550 rpm idle, i can live with that, i cannot live with the 1300 rpm idle.....hah makes shifting into D kinda harsh

thanks for the info yeah i imagine i have like the tuning ability of on and off only with this tps. Would you reccomend swapping the traction control tps with the throttle tps.they are the same partnumber
Old 07-21-05, 06:19 AM
phillipin
Driver

UPDATE has had 70 miles put on it with all sorts of varying throttle from gandma style to flooring it past a corolla full of fat drunk chicks. The idle hasnt changed, it hasnt gone up so hopefully that was the last time i needed to set the tps for quite some time.