LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Model Year Feature Set Breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 08:46 AM
TRM04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Year Feature Set Breakdown

Could someone direct me or provide me a model year feature set of a 1997 and a 1998, 1999? I am interested in a 1998-1999 LS however would like to know what all the major advancements are from the 1997 to 1998+ since it was very dramatic. TIA.
Old 07-18-05, 08:53 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Here you go, one of our members has an excellent writeup on their website on the feature differences

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

Redesigned front end. Changes to the hood, fenders, grille, front bumper, and front lights.
- <high intensity> Discharge headlight became standard equipment on Canadian models and optional equipment for US models.
- Slightly refined rear lights.
- Outer rearview mirror was changed to reduce wind noise.
- Wheels were redesigned and now have 5 spokes.
- A retractable headrest was added to the rear center seat.
- Another rear personal light was added to the rear quarter pillar area.
- A leather & wood steering wheel and wood shifter were introduced as optional equipment.
- VVT-i (variable valve timing-intelligent) system and the ACIS (acoustic control induction system) was adopted in the 1UZ-FE engine to improve fuel economy, improve performance, and reduce emissions. ETCS-i (electronic throttle control system) was also added to ensure excellent controllability of the vehicle and improve its comfort. Worlds first production V8 engine with VVT-i.
- 290 hp @ 6000 rpm and 300 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm.
- The 4-speed automatic transmission was replaced by a 5-speed transmission.
- Propeller shaft was slightly changed.
- The differential gear ratio was reduced to improve fuel economy. 2 mounts were used on both the front and rear of the differential to further reduce vibration and noise.
- The VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) system was added.
- Suspension and brakes slightly revised.
- The hydraulic circuit of the power steering system changed.
- More work on the body and sound dampening material to further reduce vibration and noise.
- An automatic headlight beam level control system was added to models with HID headlights.
- A headlight off delay system was added to keep the headlights on for a set period of time after occupants exit the car.
- A multi-information display was added to the instrument cluster to display vehicle data and warnings. The design of the shift indicator was changed.
- An automatic recirculation system was added to automatically switch the air inlet mode in accordance with the level of concentration of harmful elements in the air.
- An all-door one-touch auto up and down function was added.
- A jam protection function was added to prevent a person's hand or other object from becoming caught in the door window.
- A function to operate all windows was added to the door lock remote control.
- Changes were made to the engine immobiliser system. The starter cutoff function was discontinued. The theft deterrent system was slightly changed.
- The construction and operation of the inflator for the front passenger air bag was changed.
- A garage door opener was added to the map lamp area.
- A seat belt warning for the front passenger was added. The display method for the seat belt warning system changed from the illumination type to the flashing type.
- A navigation system was offered for the first time as an option.
- Some changes to the audio system. A diversity rear window imprinted antenna system started to be used.
- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 6.3 seconds; 0-400m = 14.9 seconds.
Old 07-18-05, 09:08 AM
TRM04
Driver

Very nice. Thanks for the swift reply. In addtion, I'd would like to know if the outside mirrors are autodimming and heated as well?

If I understand correctly, a 98 model with wood steering and shift **** has HID lights as well? 99 models have wood steering, **** and HID standard. Either a 98 or 99 with navi WILL NOT have Nak and vice versa?

Aside from Navi on a 99 model, any other options? What options were on a 98 aside from the wood wheel, ****, HID and navi?

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-05, 09:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by TRM04
Very nice. Thanks for the swift reply. In addtion, I'd would like to know if the outside mirrors are autodimming and heated as well?

If I understand correctly, a 98 model with wood steering and shift **** has HID lights as well? 99 models have wood steering, **** and HID standard. Either a 98 or 99 with navi WILL NOT have Nak and vice versa?

Aside from Navi on a 99 model, any other options? What options were on a 98 aside from the wood wheel, ****, HID and navi?

Thanks again!
I'd guess so (my 98 has all those three items - wood wheel/**** / HID). Assuming LS has the same headunit as the GS, the Navigation and Nakamichi are mutually exclusive options. Only when you get to the newer ML setups can you get them combined.

Other options would be air ride and heated seats. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. I've seen some UL 98 - 00 posted with the rear seat controls, etc but I think they were all overseas.
Old 07-18-05, 09:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

On a 2000 - check out the packages (not sure if platinium was offered in 1999)

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_detail/ls/400/2000.html

Lexus Chrome Wheels
- All-season tires (no-cost option)
- Electronic Air Suspension (requires Nakamichi Package or Navigation Package)
- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto leveling
- Lexus Navigation System[4] (not available with Nakamichi Premium Sound System)
- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade
- In-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer
- Nakamichi 280-watt (max power) Premium Sound System with in-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer (not available with Lexus Navigation System[4])
- Heated front seats
Old 07-18-05, 10:04 AM
TRM04
Driver

Thanks again...

I'm assuming you don't have autodimming/heated outside mirrors (given that they even exsisted).
Old 07-18-05, 10:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks again...

I'm assuming you don't have autodimming/heated outside mirrors (given that they even exsisted).
The external mirrors are auto-dimming, and they tilt in reverse. Standard feature I think.
- Electrochromic (auto-dimming) inside and outside mirrors
I do not believe they are heated (or that was an option in the US models).
Old 07-18-05, 10:16 AM
TRM04
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
The external mirrors are auto-dimming, and they tilt in reverse. Standard feature I think.

I do not believe they are heated (or that was an option in the US models).
From what I understand, the "tilt in reverse" was standardized in 99 and not even an option in a 98? Does your 98 do this?

I owned a 97 for a while then sold it. Now I'm looking to sell my sports car, reduce some debts and monthly expenditures and get back into a LS again as I love my 97 a lot. How long have you owned yours (miles) and what feedback can you provide? I can't imagine a 98-99 being much different in the maintenance arena versus a 97. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 07-18-05, 10:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

From what I understand, the "tilt in reverse" was standardized in 99 and not even an option in a 98? Does your 98 do this?

I owned a 97 for a while then sold it. Now I'm looking to sell my sports car, reduce some debts and monthly expenditures and get back into a LS again as I love my 97 a lot. How long have you owned yours (miles) and what feedback can you provide? I can't imagine a 98-99 being much different in the maintenance arena versus a 97. Thanks again for all your help!
I think it depends on the build date. I didn't think mine did it all, but then I figured out it was due to the position of the mirror adjustment switch.

No, shouldn't be much different. The 98 had a good bit of 'new stuff' vs the 97 so if you can find a 99 I'd get that one just to get a non-first year model . Having said that I have not read many quirks or even minor issues with the 98 and still would have no problem recommending one. I have had no issues with mine.

I bought my LS maybe two years ago with 60K on it. It now has 91K on it. It's my 'beater' everyday driver, lives outdoors etc. while my (heavily modified) GS400 sits in the garage most of the time.
Old 07-18-05, 11:03 AM
TRM04
Driver

Thanks! I hope to be back in the community soon...just need to sell my sports car!
Old 07-18-05, 11:05 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks again...

mine are that way. They dim, and are heated.
Old 07-18-05, 11:06 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

In 1998, only the passenger mirror would tilt, then in 99, they made it so BOTH mirrors would tilt in reverse. That’s the difference.
Old 07-18-05, 11:54 AM
TRM04
Driver

Very nice. Thank you so much!