LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tranny fluid changed, cleaned and sanded terminals

Old 07-15-05, 05:43 PM
phillipin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid changed, cleaned and sanded terminals

So i decided to get the nasty old tranny fluid out. Tranny was starting to get slightly hard shifting after a trip with 5 people in the car. The fluid was brown when i bought it 2-3 weeks ago. And afer the trip i think the fluid was just done, cooked, it started shifting bad after that.

So i went and picked up toyota type 4 from north county toyota where i got ripped for 4.75 a quart with no discount for buying a box. I did haggle but the guy didnt care. So i spent the money anyways.

I went home jacked up the car with our race jack, popped the plug off and drained it. After the fluid was slowly dripping i put the plug back on after cleaning it. I clean the plug each time taking it off with brake cleaner and a rag with brake cleaner sprayed on it, and really try to clean those threads out. Now with the cap back on and tighten down we head back into the engine bay. At first i was pumping in the fluid through the dipstick port but i decided to go buy a funnel, it was just too much work compared to pouring fluid down a funnel. After you drain the two quarts and replace with 2 new quarts of type 4 lower your car, close the hood, take it from park to R N D 2 1 back and forth slowly. Then let it ilde for a min or two. Now you can repeat this process as much as you like untill your fluid is nice and bright red/pink.

Now the car shifts totally smooth and crisp.

After i did that it was gettng so hot and i had to go fix a network, on call for today. So when i got home i decided to clean the battery. Took off the connections, cleaned tham, sanded the inside briefly with 800 grit. Then i cleaned the terminals and batt top. I saned the terminals with 800 grit and recleaned everything. i plan i going to the local orvac eletronics supply co and getting the materials for a 4 guage ground loop kit, ive made many many of these for guys in corolla clubs, some see a benefit some dont. my o2 corolla idled better after making it.

fun stuff
Old 07-15-05, 05:54 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Good stuff

Actually, you didnt do too bad for $4.75. The Lexus dealer charges $9.97, and the near by Toyota dealer sells for $6.70, while another Toyota dealer by my school sells them for $3.70.