LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I found Cheap 20" Chrome Rims for a LS400 Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 04:12 PM
caffeine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found Cheap 20" Chrome Rims for a LS400 Should I?

I found a wheel company that normally makes knock off rims for BMW/Mercedes but the owner said that the knock off Brabus they make also comes in a 5x114.3 offset which fits our cars. I'm thinking about ordering a set of 20x8.5" rims for my car since he sells them super cheap. The VM6 in the link below...only that I'm going to order them with "V" centercaps instead of the Mercedes ones.
http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels.html

My questions are as followed:

How do you think they would look on my 95" LS400? Are 20's too big? Would 18's be too small? (They don't sell 19's unfortunately which would be perfect) Here is my ghetto attempt at photoshop.

I think they look pretty cool, especially if I chrome them. But anyways, should I get 245/35/20's all around? Or can I fit 255/35/20s since they are cheaper?

Also he said that the offset is +38 but we could easily use spacers to get it right? Is this correct?

I DO NOT want to lower the car...would it look right and would I be able to get away without rolling the fenders? Thanks for your input, I am itching to pull the trigger on this but I'm kinda scared how big the lowenharts looked on the other guys...but since the style of this rim is totally different, I think it might look okay.
Old 05-06-05, 07:56 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Well i think you would be ok. I have 8.5" rims with 38 offset and they fit nicely. One thing you DONT want to do is to use spacers, spacers REDUCE the offset and for the LS you need it to be as high as possible, so dont use any spacers or they will stick out farther and look really goofy not to mentions rubbing issues. I have 245's on mine so i can tell you those will fit, id guess that 255's would fit in the rear but i would go any bigger on the front wheels to avoid rubbing complications. If you stick wtih the 38 offset and the 245's i can tell you that you will not have to roll your fenders.

Good luck,
Nick
Old 05-07-05, 03:04 AM
lino
Rookie

I never saw an LS with 20s (dubs) in real life, but I get the feeling that they are kinda big. It may be borderline. I usually like to see what other peope have had success with and go with those sizes. There is a member on this board by the name of khoatrn who has the setup you are asking about. He didn't lower his car and has 20x8.5 front rims and 20x10 rear rims. For tires, 245/35/20 in the front and 255/35/20 in the rear. He also notes that he has had no rubbing didn’t have to roll the fenders either. Follow this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151108

Also, since you are buying aftermarket rims that are copies, you should ask how heavy they are.
BTW, how much are the VM6 and what do you think of the VM2? Can you photoshop that one please!

The only car I saw in the flesh with 20s in the "family sedan" that looks like they wheels belong there is the E38 BMW 7. Here are some pics:

E38 ALPINA

Even when it's lowered they still fit well
Old 05-07-05, 01:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Keep in mind the weight of these wheel/tire combos. The car will not accellerate as quickly having to move that much mass. A stock 16' from the 95+ was about 48 pounds. As well, any worn-wearing suspension parts will begin to protest the added stress.

Consider that a 20" tire is going to start at ~$200+.
Then you have that low profile so if you have poor road conditions...there isn't much tire between the rim so that may mean kinks/bends/chips...blah-blah.

The larger wheels may attract attention but it isn't impressive for those who are familiar with tuning cars and know their wheels. I would suggest looking in the wheel classifieds here for some good deals or the vendor section for wheels sales.

This is your car so as long as you like it, that is all that matters.
Old 05-08-05, 10:54 AM
caffeine
Rookie

Default I think I'm going to jump on it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've realized that rationally it is stupid to get 20" Rims...and tires are going to be expensive...but.....I don't think that people get 20" rims to be rational. So I'm going to put in my order this week.

Peter from Velocity Motoring quoted me $1375 for the rims and 255/35/20 tires...but I'm going to pay a little more and get the 245's instead since they'll probely fit better. And I might pay some more to chrome the rims too. If anyone wants a set ask for Peter or Scott and tell them that Johnny with the black LS400 sent you.

I'll take some pictures once I get the rims on....in the mean time if anyone has any pictures of a LS400 with 20" rims please post or link me to it....especially if its stock ride height. Thanks.
Old 05-08-05, 02:04 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a little more time to think about this purchase!!!! are theese the wheels you really want!!!! As mentioned earlier you will be effecting the acceleration of your car, you will also effect the decceleration. The truth is with the rotational mass that size of wheel will generate you will need to upgrade to a "big Brake " package (RMM, Brembo) It was suggested earlier that you look in the wheels classified. I have seen several times 19" Heart Racing three peice wheels with tires for around $1600.When it comes to wheels wait and buy the ones you really want, not the cheap ones you can afford, you just end up paying twice for wheels.
Old 05-08-05, 08:34 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lino
I never saw an LS with 20s (dubs) in real life, but I get the feeling that they are kinda big. It may be borderline. I usually like to see what other peope have had success with and go with those sizes. There is a member on this board by the name of khoatrn who has the setup you are asking about. He didn't lower his car and has 20x8.5 front rims and 20x10 rear rims. For tires, 245/35/20 in the front and 255/35/20 in the rear. He also notes that he has had no rubbing didn’t have to roll the fenders either. Follow this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151108

Also, since you are buying aftermarket rims that are copies, you should ask how heavy they are.
BTW, how much are the VM6 and what do you think of the VM2? Can you photoshop that one please!

The only car I saw in the flesh with 20s in the "family sedan" that looks like they wheels belong there is the E38 BMW 7. Here are some pics:

E38 ALPINA

Even when it's lowered they still fit well
Man I tell you what, I love those older 740's.
Old 05-09-05, 03:44 AM
lino
Rookie

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Man I tell you what, I love those older 740's.

That is the other car that I was considering to buy before I decided to look for an LS400. I have a long history with BMW and especially the 7 series.
Old 05-09-05, 04:56 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those rims will look sick on the LS in 20" ... Go for it...
That offset is decent for the GS model or for that matter an SC so
if you decide to re-sell... u shouldn't have a problem...

I think member Stefwilli has pics of 2 types of 20" rims on his 98' LS4 and
they look sick... btw..... judging from his burnouts at the last Northeast
meet, he's still got power..lol
Old 05-09-05, 09:24 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by caffeine
Thanks for the replies guys. I've realized that rationally it is stupid to get 20" Rims...and tires are going to be expensive...but.....I don't think that people get 20" rims to be rational. So I'm going to put in my order this week.

Peter from Velocity Motoring quoted me $1375 for the rims and 255/35/20 tires...but I'm going to pay a little more and get the 245's instead since they'll probely fit better. And I might pay some more to chrome the rims too. If anyone wants a set ask for Peter or Scott and tell them that Johnny with the black LS400 sent you.

I'll take some pictures once I get the rims on....in the mean time if anyone has any pictures of a LS400 with 20" rims please post or link me to it....especially if its stock ride height. Thanks.

I dont think the brakes would be a big problem, esp on the 95+, however, did you say $1375 for rims AND tires? Doesn’t that sound a little TOO good? A friend of mine just purchased '19 staggered monoblock IV replicas for his Mercedes (another problem your going to deal with if you buy MB wheels) with tires for $2750 with tires (chroming included). I wonder how your getting the entire package for that low

Good luck, and post some pics. What are the offsets by the way?
Old 05-09-05, 01:08 PM
caffeine
Rookie

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I dont think the brakes would be a big problem, esp on the 95+, however, did you say $1375 for rims AND tires? Doesn’t that sound a little TOO good? A friend of mine just purchased '19 staggered monoblock IV replicas for his Mercedes (another problem your going to deal with if you buy MB wheels) with tires for $2750 with tires (chroming included). I wonder how your getting the entire package for that low

Good luck, and post some pics. What are the offsets by the way?

The rims are 5x114.3 with +38 offsets. I don't know if $1375 is their normal price, but that's what he quoted me since I kinda know the guy. And that's only if I get the 255 series tires which he said are cheaper, and non-chrome. So I'm probely going to end up paying a couple hundred more, but still an awesome deal though....which is why I'm soooo tempted into jumping on this deal. I almost kinda wish one of you guys would buy the package first so I can see what it looks like on a car. =)

Does anyone know if these rims will clear our brakes? Since they're bigger and 4-piston?
Old 05-10-05, 04:44 PM
caffeine
Rookie

Default Update:

Okay here the update:

I ordered the rims from Peter at VelocityMotoring.com I didn't feel like paying an additional $400 to Chrome the rims, so I ordered the Polished set. The price is around $800-$900 retail but I'm going to try to get him to hook me up for cheaper.

I ordered the tires seperately from Certified tire. After some research I found that the Falken Azenis ST115's were the best of the sub-$250 tires and Certified tires had them for $169 a piece, unfortunately I got a call earlier today saying that the tires are on backordered for 1 month+ and that the only way I could get them by next week was to pay $20 shipping per tire ($80) to have them shipped here from the East Coast. (I live in CA) I got certified tire to split the shipping with me, so the total was $169 x 4+$40 shipping + tax for a set of four 245/35/20 tires.

Does anyone else have reccomendations for sub $800 a set tires in that size? I was hoping to find tires with a high treadwear rating and that is also all-season, but there doens't seem to be much out there in that size that satisfies both.
Old 05-11-05, 04:34 AM
LS400TX
Rookie

Price sounds too good to be true, I paid $450 a piece 17" for my 69 Mustang.
Make sure u see tham and like them before u buy.
Old 05-11-05, 12:13 PM
caffeine
Rookie

Originally Posted by LS400TX
Price sounds too good to be true, I paid $450 a piece 17" for my 69 Mustang.
Make sure u see tham and like them before u buy.
I've seen the rims in person (the silver ones at least) and been to their office, the rims are of great quality and I'm sure I'll be happy. And the "too good to be true" price is the only reason I'm buying these particular rims, because they're cheap and good, and true.
Old 05-12-05, 05:11 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lino
I never saw an LS with 20s (dubs) in real life, but I get the feeling that they are kinda big.
Nope, 20's are OK in an LS, and here's the proof. NO intention to hijack this thread of course.

Quick Reply: I found Cheap 20" Chrome Rims for a LS400 Should I?