LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tie Rod Ends?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-05, 03:05 PM
Majkmil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Rod Ends?

Hi guys, I have been chasing noise (clunking over bumps) for some time now. I have replaced front struts and mounts and the ride is better but the noise is still there. Everyone seems to suspect strutrod cushions, but I think it might be tie rod ends and maybe ball joints. When I inspected the tie rod ends I cuould easily move the joint back and forth and I could make it make a knocking sound. Also the right tie rod end rubber boot is sepersted a little and grease is escaping. What do you think? Seems like an easy fix. I dont really know how to tell if my strutbar cushions are bad but I looked at he rubber really good and it seems to be in good condition. I have read on the sites that tie rod ends and ball joints can really effect the ride. Parts are only about $250 for both sides. Appreciate ant comments. Thanks Mark
Old 04-11-05, 06:57 PM
Majkmil
Driver School Candidate

anyone? I was trying to see if anyone thinks this could be the clunk I hear over larger bumps. I also have a quiet clunk, almost a click when I start driving from a stop when the car has been parked for a while, It seems to have gone away after I moved the tie rod around a little, Do you think it would be smart to start with the tie rod and see if this helps and do the ball joint after if it doesnt ?
Old 04-12-05, 02:54 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

How many miles on yours?
Could be both the tie rods and strut bars.

May also check the roll bar bushings though these don't tend to make much noise.
Old 04-12-05, 08:41 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your clunking is in the front end.. then its definitely the control arm bushings or the sway bar bushings.. start with the sway bar bushings since they are cheap and easy to change.. the control arm bushings require new upper control arms.. which will run you about $300 per control arm.. Or you could go with the Daizen control arm bushings, but thats a big job to do..

the tie rods are another option as well, but those need to be changed when you hear clunking in the rear after braking..
Old 04-12-05, 08:04 PM
Majkmil
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I have 59K on my 98. I'm sure I need a new tie rod on the right side and I might as well do the ball joint at the same time. From the info I got from the TIS website and the totorial by oversteer on this site it looks easy. The only thing is, when I screw the new outer tie rod on, making sure I have the tie rod lined up right to the ball joint. As far as the strut rods I think they are OK, and from what I can see and feel the rubber seems fine. They are next on the list. I will do the swaybar bushings now, because they are cheap and easy. Persian451, I don't understandwhat you mean, what would the tie rods have to do with the rear end/
Old 04-12-05, 08:52 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Im sorry if this has been talked about, but where can i buy the front sway bar bushings? (are they the same energy bushigns we have been talking about latley?) How much are we talking? I'm redoing my entire front suspension less upper control arms and strut bars, because they have been replaced already.
Old 04-12-05, 08:54 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

i dont understand what you are talking about then when referring to tie rods.. All I know for a fact, that "tie rods" are these bars with a bushing in them that wear out located in the rear suspension.

as for the front bushings, Yes you can buy the sway bar bushings from the dealer... the energy suspension ones are polyurethane.
Old 04-13-05, 12:42 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by persian451
i dont understand what you are talking about then when referring to tie rods.. All I know for a fact, that "tie rods" are these bars with a bushing in them that wear out located in the rear suspension.

as for the front bushings, Yes you can buy the sway bar bushings from the dealer... the energy suspension ones are polyurethane.
Actually, I believe only the front has tie rods (they are responsible for the actual steering). There are outer tie rods, and inner tie rods. If you look at your steering rack, there is a "shock" looking rubber piece coming out of the rack, then extends into a bar, then connected to your outer tie rods.

Outer Tie rods are about $34 a piece.
Old 04-13-05, 12:43 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

This is a pic i found of a tie rod on a sab (they look pretty much the same on cars with rack and pinion steering):

and another

Old 04-13-05, 10:36 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Actually, I believe only the front has tie rods (they are responsible for the actual steering). There are outer tie rods, and inner tie rods.
Yep!
Old 04-13-05, 01:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The rear has a strut rod, this part if similar to the front may also have a bushing to wear out.
Also check the stabilizer bar links. (Where the stabilizer bar attaches.)
Old 04-13-05, 07:51 PM
Majkmil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Im sorry if this has been talked about, but where can i buy the front sway bar bushings? (are they the same energy bushigns we have been talking about latley?) How much are we talking? I'm redoing my entire front suspension less upper control arms and strut bars, because they have been replaced already.
The part# for the swaybar bushings for my 98LS is 48815-50122. And ye the tie rods are in the front, connects the inner tie rods to the lower ball joint.
Old 04-13-05, 11:43 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Suspension for the 98 LS is different then from the 91 LS.. the tie rods i'm referring too are also called strut rods..

as shown..#9.. o well

Old 04-14-05, 09:40 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front also have strut rods and they are different from tie rods. Tie rods are tie rods and strut rods are strut rods and aren't interchangeable. Two different animals serving different purposes.
Old 04-14-05, 04:19 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by persian451
Suspension for the 98 LS is different then from the 91 LS.. the tie rods i'm referring too are also called strut rods..

as shown..#9.. o well

I was talking about the front btw.

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Ends?