LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Problems after 60,000 service

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-05, 07:06 PM
sleepy52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after 60,000 service

Hi,
New to this forum and new owner of a 1995 LS 400 with 63,000 mi. I took the vehicle into my local Lexus dealer in Atlanta and had the regular 60,000 service plus full transmission flush, power steering fluid flush and brake fluid flush. I had never had a problem with this vehicle starting before going into service but since picking the vehicle up I've had a problem with the car not starting. When I turn the key, the dash lights, the interior lights work fine and the headlights are bright but the auto just clicks like the battery is dead. If I try it three or four times it will fire up perfectly and runs fine until I turn it off again. I called my service rep back and he wanted me to just "keep track of what happens over the weekend", appreciated advice after spending a lot of cash on service the day before. Any thoughts of what might be going on? I have read that there can be real problems after getting power steering fluid on the starter and I'm wondering if that might have happened during the power steering fluid flush that they performed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-26-05, 07:27 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleepy52
Hi,
New to this forum and new owner of a 1995 LS 400 with 63,000 mi. I took the vehicle into my local Lexus dealer in Atlanta and had the regular 60,000 service plus full transmission flush, power steering fluid flush and brake fluid flush. I had never had a problem with this vehicle starting before going into service but since picking the vehicle up I've had a problem with the car not starting. When I turn the key, the dash lights, the interior lights work fine and the headlights are bright but the auto just clicks like the battery is dead. If I try it three or four times it will fire up perfectly and runs fine until I turn it off again. I called my service rep back and he wanted me to just "keep track of what happens over the weekend", appreciated advice after spending a lot of cash on service the day before. Any thoughts of what might be going on? I have read that there can be real problems after getting power steering fluid on the starter and I'm wondering if that might have happened during the power steering fluid flush that they performed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
I would never bring my car into a Lexus dealer outside of its warranty..
Old 03-27-05, 12:45 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Check that your battery is taking a charge and passes the load tests. Also check that the alternator is charging properly. The alternator sits below the PS pump so that poses a problem if fluid has drained into it.

That aside, sounds to me like you have a possible starter problem. This is a PITA repair because the starter is located under the intake manifold. Symptoms are clicking or nothing when you try to start. After a few attempts it usually starts but you are on borrowed time. The solenoid on this also is an issue but since you have to remove the intake manifold to reach it, you might as well replace the whole starter unit. Cost varies, I had mine done at a dealership for $700.

Check it soon, you'll get so many starts before it won't catch at all...you don't want to be in some bad situation where you are stranded.
Old 03-27-05, 06:20 AM
sleepy52
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.
Old 03-27-05, 05:57 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

If it was Hennessy Lexus I would check all your fluid levels. They forgot to put oil in my wifes ES300 at her 90K miles service. Their response was "don't worry it didn't hurt anything" Had to trade it at 120K miles because it was burning oil (black smoke) at start-up.