LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sway Bar bushing squeak

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 07:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Angry Sway Bar bushing squeak

After driving on these for about 3K miles, I took the front ones out today. The squeak over certain bumps and rough terrain grated on me and it was an embarrassment to have people in the car.

After removing them I was able to discern where I thought the squeaking originated. Not from the inside where the bar is but rather the flat mount where the bushing sits. I had put grease here but it had been pushed out and dry so any movement of the bar would cause it to make noise.

The other aspect about this is the bushing holder. The stock bushings are about 3/32" taller so when the mount is torqued, the bushing compresses. The poly bushings are not as tall so there was about 1/16". I didn't feel this was adequate compression to snug the bushing against the strut bar plate/mount...this I felt would allow the bushing to move under load. I could see where the bushing flex/moved as there were black rub marks and the grease had been pushed aside.

Some thoughts in my application:
1. Grind the bushing bracket down 1/16" or so to allow it to snug up more.
2. Drill or mill a grease groove into the flat top of the bushing so that there is grease present...I'd also do this to the inside of the bushing as it may tend to push the grease out there as well.
The rear bushings on mine had a spiral groove so grease is retained.

With the stock ones re-installed, the car is once again quiet but there is a bit more body roll. I dunno, it was the handling with noise or less handling with quiet.

The Daizen grease that I got is MESSY! A small blob dripped on the floor and I placed my head onto it when doing the re-install.. About the only thing that removes it is acetone or paint thinner...hopefully there is something safer I can try to get it out of my hair. If I can't get it off with shampoo or rubbing alcohol, I'm going in for a #0 hair cut.

All the fun of working on the car

Last edited by RA40; 03-24-05 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-24-05, 09:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

As it turns out, rubbing alcohol works fine and it dissolved the gooey mess in short order. (Good, I really didn't want another hair cut. )

As for the squeaking, I figured out a solution.

Grinding the bracket would weaken it and although it isn't a high stress point, it is something I'd rather not have to do. That in mind, I have some phenolic fiber spacer material I'll use. It is water resistant and relatively resistant to heat. Down there, no problem. It will conform to slightly irregular shapes and is slightly porous so a lubricant will be able to remain without causing the fiber to deteriorate. I doubt I'll need to use a lubricant though.

The main thing is the metal to poly creates the squeak so by using this spacer, I should be able to remove that issue. It isn't super think but I have it in .03", .05" and .07" thickness which would be just right.

The other is that the after-market bushings put the bar about 3/32" to 1/8" closer to a metal bracket. Under a high load/deflection, it may be possible for the bar to contact this metal bracket. I didn't see any signs of impact from the bar but to be safe, I'd feel better by adding that little bit more of space there.

The grease grove on the inside diameter of the bushing is the challenge. I know how to do it, I just don't have the machinery. Might be able to figure out a work-around with the drill press though.

I'll probably get started on this in a week or so. All this for some $30 parts