LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

motortrend comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 02:56 PM
zz231
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got the july 01 issue of motor trend and they have a comparison that includes Q45, LS430, S430, STS, A8L Quattro and Jaguar Vanden Plas.
well, they say that they're all nice cars. but it came down to the mercedes and the lexus. here's what they said :

"four of seven editors opted for the mercedes-benz, were they voting with their own bucks. as tested, it doesn't offer nearly as much stuff as the lexus does, but costs much more. it's sportier, which accounts for a lot with this bunch, yet in 4.3 l trim, isn't as quick as the others. so its styling, road presence, and ultra-premium brand value- call it the luxury "x" factor- must make up the difference. choosing winners we'd say the mercedes-benz S class remains the king, by a majority, if not a unanimous, vote- discounting the price/value equation. facto P/V back in, and the lexus earns its spot as one of the world's best luxury sedans."

what do you guys think?
the as tested price for the lexus was $68,681. for the mercedes $86,855.
in the same test they gave lexus three A+, four A, one A-, two B-.
the mercedes got zero A+, five A, three A-, two B+.
but they still chose the benz.
Old 06-02-01, 08:03 PM
chris percy

Question Biased report

I too read the recent comparison and was AMAZED at the conclusion with the S-430 getting the nod over the LS 430??? Their comment about NOT including the cost comparison first...... and picking the MB then stating that with the cost comparison the LS 430 would get the nod was bogus and showed bias towards the MB!! How can you not have price comparison as part of the equation......

Old 06-02-01, 09:11 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those guys getting the car(benz) for free or something?
why even bother to list the prices if money is NOT an issue?:eek:

i think they are really getting spoiled for the fact that they are always driving diff types of cars on regular basis, and these cars are either bought w/co funds or soley supplied by the factory for the purpose of evaluations.

in any event, if lexus injects in only a mere $10k(forget the $18k diff in price) worth more in technology into the ls, do you know how good the car would be? i think running circle around the diameler mark would be an understatement....and such applies to any model in thelexus lineup.
now can we see some fair comments from the editors?
Old 06-03-01, 01:31 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the thing that makes me mad.... one...they don't even compare the price. My parents are thinking of getting either a LS430 or the S500. Use to be the S430 but after reading about the mercedes future news..i found out that the 4.3 Liter Engine will be discontinued in 2 years which means they will have no more 4.3 Liter engines. That means something also, the S500 is 30 Grand more than the LS430 Ultra package. THose are hte prices i can get the cars for. So i dont' why they even choose the S430. Stupid Michigan Car Editors.

GsNav@clublexus.com