Register Forgot Password?

DIY Guide for Lower Ball Joints

Old 02-18-08, 01:29 PM   #61
j stuff
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via AIM to j stuff

oh yea carson ima check them out too.

thanks pd, I just emailed olyonline b/c theres no bjs posted on their site at the moment.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
j stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 11:29 PM   #62
DallasLex
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversteer View Post
Hope this helps! It's always a good idea to have the right tools. My wife gave me a DeWalt 18V cordless impact gun for my birthday and it makes short work of breaking all those nuts and bolts. If you have not tried working with an electric impact gun.....do it. They have more torque than air guns and you don't have to have a compressor near by. I keep mine in my car in case I need to change a tire....and look like a Nextel Cup guy in the process
Just a quick question regarding the DeWalt cordless impact gun. It shows to deliver 300 ft/lbs of torque vs. DEWALT DW292(which I own) that delivers 345 ft/lbs of torque.
I bought my electric DeWalt to remove and install wheels/tires with and it does NOT even move a lug nut.

Is it the "cordless" design that makes it remove lug nuts or the cordless just has more power measured in another way than ft/lbs to help it remove the lugs?
DallasLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 12:14 AM   #63
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Trader Score: (10)

PureDrifter
Send a message via AIM to PureDrifter

have you used an impact gun before? sometimes if the lugs are really jammed on there you have to let it go for a few seconds, it wont just take it off right away.

thats why i hand torque all my lugs.
3. Black 2004 IS300 -Manaray-HKS-Eibach-Kumho-
4. Ebony Teal 1995 LS400 11-8-06
PureDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 06:54 AM   #64
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

This is a good write up. I know I need to do my struts ,.. would that be an advisable thing to add to doing LBJ's, IE: Does this make them easier to get to, or does it really matter?

On the struts is it just a joint that is the problem with them, or do you need the whole 'strut' new OEM when they are worn?

*Oh, and I'd love an Impact gun without the compressor -- I imagine that Cordless is mighty expensive if it has that kind of power. What kind of money we talking? If it isn't a fortune it might be worth the investment. Only thing is you have to buy an 'impact' set of sockets entirely for use with an impact wrench -- But man would that help.

Lastly -- I've seen 27mm, 17mm, and 24mm as the bolt sizes -- Sockets aren't cheap -- Which is it , anyone know for sure?

Thanks
Neofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 08:51 AM   #65
oversteer
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Cordless Impact

It's been a while since I posted on this thread and glad to see it is still alive and helping people.

Anyway, I saw the question on the Dewalt cordless and thought I would chime in again. The two tricks with the cordless impact are 1) Making sure it is charged fully and 2) making sure you use the right size socket. Lexus wheels use 22mm bolts and you need to use exactly that size socket. If you try to use one size larger, the impact gun won't hammer hard enough since the energy is lost by the socket moving around. Very few kits include a 22mm socket so you'll have to go buy one.

Also, as was mentioned previously, if some knucklehead over torqued the wheels down with an impact gun, you may just have to use a breaker bar to get them off...and then use that same bar to club said knucklehead across the skull. NEVER use an impact gun to torque bolts. Buy a torque wrench.

Good Luck!

Chet
oversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 11:45 AM   #66
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

PureDrifter

Quote:
It's been a while since I posted on this thread and glad to see it is still alive and helping people.

Anyway, I saw the question on the Dewalt cordless and thought I would chime in again. The two tricks with the cordless impact are 1) Making sure it is charged fully and 2) making sure you use the right size socket. Lexus wheels use 22mm bolts and you need to use exactly that size socket. If you try to use one size larger, the impact gun won't hammer hard enough since the energy is lost by the socket moving around. Very few kits include a 22mm socket so you'll have to go buy one.

Also, as was mentioned previously, if some knucklehead over torqued the wheels down with an impact gun, you may just have to use a breaker bar to get them off...and then use that same bar to club said knucklehead across the skull. NEVER use an impact gun to torque bolts. Buy a torque wrench.

Good Luck!

Chet
ive been using a craftsman corded impact from sears, ive found that the cordless models often offer crap battery life, not enough power, or are just too bulky to get into tight spaces.

i got lucky and found mine brand new on ebay for <$75. ive never met a bolt i couldnt get off, but be aware there are some nuts/bolts on the suspension that you dont have nearly enough room to use the impact, for these, a breaker bar (or two) is your best friend. last time i did my susp i sheared my cheap 3/8in. bb and replaced it with a cheap 1/2in
Old 04-07-08, 03:55 PM   #67
DallasLex
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, I guess I use the bb to loosen, then use the impact wrench to remove the nuts and bolts.
2004 Sequoia SR5
2004 Accord LX
DallasLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 07:53 PM   #68
bonson
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Quote:
Step 12:
Assembly is the reverse of the removal. When you are re-inserting the tie rods, the bolt will sometimes rotate so it is hard to get pressure on it. If this is the case, use the tie rod puller in the reverse manner and try to use a little pressure to seat the bolt back into end.
Lower Bolts to hold new ball joint to knuckle: 83ft/lb torque
Lower Ball Joint: 112 ft/lb torque
Tie Rod End: 48ft/lb torque
Caliper Bolts: 87ft/lb torque
I'm wokring on car now 99 GS. issue is I cant torque properly to 119 (or you say 112). either way I have to go looser or too tight (which is risky) cause the castle nut lining up in relation to cotter pin dont work. The hole is blocked by the " castle turret"
I have it at about 120 or more now and its not good enough to make the hole. Backing off the other way is more like under 100. no win situation...
bonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-11, 08:45 PM   #69
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

PureDrifter

there's more than one cotter pin hole iirc, look around the nut.
Old 10-26-11, 09:24 PM   #70
bonson
Driver School Candidate

only has one hole for pin, but I "gently cautiously tightned" that 19mm castle nut until it went all the way thru. seems good now. test drive car stil to come and seeif clanking noise is gone. then alignment
bonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 04:12 AM   #71
bradland
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLex View Post
Just a quick question regarding the DeWalt cordless impact gun. It shows to deliver 300 ft/lbs of torque vs. DEWALT DW292(which I own) that delivers 345 ft/lbs of torque.
I bought my electric DeWalt to remove and install wheels/tires with and it does NOT even move a lug nut.

Is it the "cordless" design that makes it remove lug nuts or the cordless just has more power measured in another way than ft/lbs to help it remove the lugs?
C'mon guys! This should be auto mechanics 101

Wireless Impact < Corded Impact < Pneumatic Impact (properly powered)
bradland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-14, 01:42 PM   #72
peterls
Pole Position

Just in case anyone is reading this: castle nut can be re-used, the pin on the other hand should not be reused. But my original Lexus pin is way stronger than the one I am about to put in, so I am still debating in my mind if I should re-use it...
peterls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 02:42 PM   #73
lkarkosky
Driver School Candidate

Great post
lkarkosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 02:42 PM