LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All I can say is WOW

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-05, 07:12 AM
agc
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All I can say is WOW

All,

Thanks for all your help and advise about purchasing a 2000 LS.

Here is a little history, I was deciding between a silver/black and black/beige/platinum 2000 LS400.

Well this weekend I went with friend on a road trip (800+ miles) to buy an LS400. I had a deposit on the silver/black (at Acura dealer) because the price was better than the black/beige/platinum (at Toyota dealer) I was looking at. The good thing was that the dealers were only 25 miles apart (go figure), so I went to look at the black/beige/platinum (at Toyota dealer) first. Well when I get there with, I saw the pre-owned sales manager and give him my keys to my truck (2000 Ford F150 harley Davidson) that I was trading in and went to look the LS. My friend went to get the keys and I went to look at the car, I didn't even have to open the doors I know I did NOT want the car, the interior was in really bad shape, not just dirty but the seats looked real worn and were saging and this on a car with 34k miles. My friend came over with the keys and I told him don't bother, we opend it up anyway and looked inside to confirm that I definitely did not want it. So I go in to the sales manager who is still trying to locate the saleman and I tell him that it's not really what i wanted and asked for my keys back. He reluctantly gave them back to me and and kept asking why I as not interested. I told hil I just didn't like the inteior color (didn't want to tell him that he lied to me when he told me that the interior was inexcellent condition, my friend even said that if he thought the interior was in excellent condition then he is in the wrong business). As I tried to drive away he ran after me telling me what is he gave me a better price, I told him he was $1.5k more than the othe dealer and even if he were to beat the other dealer's price I was still not interested. He then said what if I sold it for a lot less, I still said thank you, but that I just was not crazy about the interior. So at this point I am very nervous about the other car, so I called the saleman and tell him that I am 30 mins away and ask him again what the condition of the interior was, he tells me excellent (again I am thinking, man I am going back in my truck). Well I get to the dealer and look at the car's inteiror immediately and to my surprise it was in EXCELLENT condition and I am very picky. The car was in excellent shape interior/exterior/mechanically and the color combination was exactly what I wanted (someone told me to look at both to see which one moves me and this color combo definitely is what I wanted and the darker wood definitely looks better on the darker interior) . I say one small ding on the rear passenger door wheel well, they did the 30k service (tires are only 4 months old, based on service records and servicing dealer). We did the paperwork and he kept his end of the deal (my truck was filty and I told him I can go to a car wash if he wanted me to and he said not to worry and they looked at my truck and was very happy with my description of it and I was happy with his description of his car) and I drove off in my new LS400. On my drive home the car is amazingly quite and comfortable. It drives extremely well and handles great, I love the car's roominess and am happy I got the LS over the GS or 5-series. My friend also thought the car was in excellent conditon and he is in the autobody business and looked over the car for me and was satisfied with everything (color matching, gaps, etc.)

So all in all I ended up with the car I looked at first for a decent price, I hope. Now all I have to do is register it and maybe tint the windows.

BTW: Anyone tint their car and what % tint did you guys use.

Again THANKS to ALL for your help
Old 02-28-05, 07:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Congrats on the new LS! Post some pics!
Old 02-28-05, 07:42 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats man, lets see some pics
Old 02-28-05, 07:47 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Welcome to the LS club, you will Love it...
Old 02-28-05, 08:05 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Congrates on the new car man, its a great car as you can tell.

Yeah deffidentally go for the tint. Keeps out all those nasty UV rays so it protects your interior, not to mention how cool it looks! I have 20% all around, but id do it differently again if i had a chance.

First off i wouldn't go darker than 20% on the front windows as i cant see ***** out of them at night when making turns in not well light areas, ie neighborhoods, driveways, etc. I think darker on the back windows would be good, but dont go crazy with like 5%. I think it makes a too big of difference from 20% to 5% and doesnt look clean. Maybe go with 15%or 10% on the back windows then i wouldnt go lighter than 10% on the back window. But maybe your just looking for some light tint all around like 25 or 30%, at least youll keep those UV rays out!

Good luck, let us know what you end up going with
Old 02-28-05, 07:24 PM
Crucial
Driver School Candidate

Question

I also just got a 2000 LS 400 and am looking for modifications I can do to it. I woud like some increased performance and better looks. I've been searching around, but haven't found much information on people putting modifications on this model car.

Any Suggestions?
Old 02-28-05, 09:15 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, you can lower it with some CS coil overs, slam some rims, Monotone it if its your type of thing. Torque converter and some exhaust would help you out a lot.

It really depends what you really want.
Old 02-28-05, 10:24 PM
Crucial
Driver School Candidate

Do many people with this vehicle get aftermarket torque converters? What brands would you recommend, and how exactly will this affect performance?

Thanks for being helpful, I'm a noob when it comes to Lexus, my primary vehicle is currently a 2001 VW and I've spent the last few years learning German vehicles/engines.
Old 02-28-05, 10:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Congrats on the LS400

You've done well.
Old 03-01-05, 06:22 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Im not sure if a LOT of people do this, but they affect your launching from a dead stop significantly (at least ive heard). I have one for sale here, i was gonna put it in my car but i changed my mind about what transmission im going to stick with.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152728
Old 03-01-05, 09:57 AM
Crucial
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. Besides replacing the torque converter, do many people do other basic modifications like: Cold air intakes, performance spark plugs and wires, suspension kits, ect?