LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Dead Climate Control System

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 08:44 AM
ChuckH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Climate Control System

Hi. Just got a 96 LS400. The Climate Control System was working and then just died. There is no display, no clock or outside temp display. I assume it is a fuse(s) and checked the obvious ones with a voltmeter, but I think there may be others to look at.

Anyone know which ones to check? Some have nondecipherable notations. I ordered a full set of repair manuals but don't want to freeze that long.

Also, any trick to removing the high amperage fuses inboard of the under hood fuse box? I have tried needle nose vice grips but only suceeded in snaping off the clear cover of the fuse.
Old 02-24-05, 12:15 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sure sounds like a fuse, did you check the interior and exterior fuse boxes?
Old 02-24-05, 06:45 PM
ChuckH
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, checked the ones that had anything marked "heat" or something that sounded like it might be related with a meter in both both panels. I couldn't pull the high amp ones under the hood (still looking for that trick), but those shouldn't be protecting a circuit board (that should be a 5A, even less). I think it is one that has some strange designation.

I guess until I get the Repair Manuals with the schematics I'll have to keep smearing Rain-X on the inside of the windows and stop every 15 minutes and warm my hands on the engine block.
Old 02-25-05, 09:38 PM
ChuckH
Driver School Candidate

Default Found the fuses, but the problem continues

Aside from the under hood fuses, the Control runs off of the "HEATER 15A", "FUEL OPN 15A", "STARTER 7.5A", and "FR CIG 15A" Fuses. The FR CIG fuse (nothing to do with the front cig lighter according to this wiring diagram) continues to blow after a few hours of running.

I went onto the Toyota Site and paid $10 for a day of access to this wring diagram and all of their service manuals and am still printing out PDF files for future use, great site but hard to search.

Anyone have further suggestions to keep the Control working?
Old 02-26-05, 06:22 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My knowledge stops here on this topic, but heres a bump for ya, sorry I cant provide any more help.
Old 02-27-05, 07:04 PM
ChuckH
Driver School Candidate

Hey, thanks. The situation is under control, not yet fixed, but the cause is known. After DL'ing most of the wiring diagrams from the official Toyota/Scion/Lexus site ($10 per 24 hours of access vs. $300 for the full set of manuals) the "FR CIG" fuse DOES also power the Front Cigarette Lighter along with the entire Climate Control System. Same area, so they did that. The Lighter is FU and shorts out, but I am getting about 40 miles per fuse.

I'm getting the "Silver Ghost" prepped for NJ inspection. I managed to replace the low beam lamp without breaking too much (plastic snap in parts do not like to be manipulated at 25F degrees), and also replaced the cracked tail lens along with all water soaked bulbs within. But the Tail Light Out dash light still didn't turn off. In NJ any Warning Light on will cause immediate inspection failure. So I DL'd that schematic and found some idiot put a wrong wattage bulb in in the third Brake Light, enough to FUp the sensor.

Well, luckily, I is a ingineeer, otherwise this would have cost me. But I bought the car as-is after CarFaxing it, and I knew what I was getting into.

Best car I ever had so far. My 86 Audi 5000 with 170K is close, the 86 Honda with 226K is still running strong and good when I need a stick shift fix.
Old 09-18-08, 05:41 AM
jboldt
Driver School Candidate

Angry One more thing

I'm havin the same problem w/ my climate control unit. I have a '94. Do you guys think this is also being caused by the front cig lighter. I never use the front one but I constantly use the rear cig lighter for my sirius. Wierd thing is that this started at the same time that my a/c compressor clutch went bad. So I have replaced the compressor & various other a/c components and am waiting for the system to be evacuated & charged. My fear is that I'll continue to have this climate control problem. I should also add that my heated seats are not working either.

Last edited by jboldt; 09-18-08 at 05:49 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-19-08, 04:32 PM
tyncobb
Driver

I have a '94 LS400 with 285,000 and my climate control faded out over time, came on sometimes but then when winter hit, it went out completely. Was not the fuse. Lexus wanted an arm and a leg to replace. Someone in this forum recommended EBay, so I typed in 94 lexus ls400 Climate Control and found two shops. They ask you to send your unit in (easy to take out of the car, their Ebay site gives you easy instructions for removal, then you send it in to the and they will either repair yours, with replacement of all lights, etc. or ship you one alreay repaired for your model. I think I bought mine last year for $175.00 and replaced it myself. Works great and only had my unit out for a day or two. Think you can also buy one for a little higher price and they will send it to you and then when you take yours out, once you send it back to them they will reimburse you for the Core charge. Getting ready to do this on my Speedometer Cluster also. Lexus wants about $1200-$2000 for this, and Ebay seller sells it for $175-$200. Mine is already completely black (no lights) in the am when its cold here in DC in Sept and it wasnt doing that until November last year. Takes about 20 min to warm up and then lights flicker and finally comes on. But your speedo, gas meter, etc do not work until it does come on.
Old 04-19-09, 04:58 PM
hrman2
Driver School Candidate

Tryncobb

Do you know how to get the dash apart to replace the digital ac heater control?
Thanks
hrman2
Old 04-19-09, 04:59 PM
hrman2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks
hrman2
Old 04-20-09, 09:49 PM
jboldt
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by jboldt
I'm havin the same problem w/ my climate control unit. I have a '94. Do you guys think this is also being caused by the front cig lighter. I never use the front one but I constantly use the rear cig lighter for my sirius. Wierd thing is that this started at the same time that my a/c compressor clutch went bad. So I have replaced the compressor & various other a/c components and am waiting for the system to be evacuated & charged. My fear is that I'll continue to have this climate control problem. I should also add that my heated seats are not working either.

I just realized that I never reported what ended up fixing the problem I was having with that climate control fuse blowing. I did confirm that my A/C compressor was bad. In particular it was the clutch that was bad. I replaced the compressor, expansion valve, and dryer/reciever. After doing so several months ago I have yet to blow another fuse.
Old 04-21-09, 12:12 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hrman2
Thanks
hrman2
Here's a tutorial for changing the stereo head unit, but it will get you started:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html