LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Driving impressions of my "new"LS400 vs 85 Supra, seeking advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-01, 01:34 AM
Purplexed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,
I just purchased a 93 LS400 w/84,000miles. Excellent condition. I purchased it in Palm Springs, and drove out there with my girlfriend in my soon to be late 85 Supra, automatic with 264,000 miles.
While on 140 mile trip back , I drove the LS , she drove my old Supra. She is a cautious driver.
We took "back roads and highways" in preference to the freeways.
While on Ortega highway, a very twisty and dangerous two lane highway , I actually was not able to keep up with her without concern that the LS could not handle very well. For the first time, I actually accused her of driving too fast.
When we talked about it later, she told me that she did not feel she was going fast. The supra was quite stable.
SO, my concern is this. I purchased this vehicle to replace my old Toyota, but I WILL MISS the handling. After that trip, the first thing outta my mouth was "I purchased an old mans car, this feels like a boat"', I will miss the responsiveness and the low to ground attitude the supra has. ( I am 48 yrs old)
I know what you are thinking, "its a different car", its heavier, higher, the seats feel like I am sitting high in a truck, they dont hug you like the Recaro type seats of the supra.
I have read about running Tokikos and lowering 1 inch and the sway bar. It doesnt look that, engine wise, I will be able to simulate the Supras responsiveness, but I want to know what to expect if I go with the springs.

Would those of you who have the TOKIKOs and Eibach springs (1 inch) comment on exactly how this has changed the handling of the LS ??
Any other suggestions???
Is there any place I could drive an LS to see what the springs and shocks do before I actually do it ?
I expect to keep my LS, but it needs a little help.
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-01, 07:38 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your LS is no Supra

Sorry I don't live out in Cali. or I would love to let you drive mine to see the difference in handleing the shocks an springs make.
When I first installed the Tokico and Eibach, I thought it will be really harsh and I wouldn't tell the difference besides the ride quality.
Oh, I was wrong!!!!
Got this U-turn that I drive through everyday to go home and I swear I can take that turn 10 miles faster with the new shocks and springs!!!!
I'm planning to install a Supra Strut bar to also improve the handles.
The ride is a little more sensitive but I like it because I can feel the road better plus still have most of the smoothness of a Lexus still in tack.
The only problem I have with them is that since the eibach springs for the LS is made soo close together at a point that it gives a poping noise once in a while when I hit a bump hard.
Talked to the shop and other shops and they say this is also happens on Legends and other luxury cars with this setup.
Good luck on what you decide to do with your car and enjoy the car itself for years to come!
Old 05-23-01, 05:51 PM
lextek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have any experience with aftermarket parts for LS models. However, you are comparing apples to oranges. If you miss the handling capabilities of a 284,000 mile supra, you should seriously consider an SC400. A 1993 model would impress you I bet. If you had a cadillac of equal age (as compared to the supra) and you bought your 1993 LS 400 I bet it would be suprising in the opposite direction, meaning extremely impressive.

Just my quick thoughts.

Lextek.
Old 05-24-01, 11:14 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default welcome!

welcome to the board purplexed, a supra is a sports car that can go, a LS is not, it is a Luxury Cursier but it can go as well, but the LS can be improved on to make it a bit sporty. so comparing the LS and Supra would be to drastic of a comparsion they are on different realms in the automotive world, but the LS is a keeper and it is a fantastic car, so i hope you stick with yours.