LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

97 Ls400

Old 05-17-01, 09:40 PM
Hann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Recently got myself a 97 LS400 with only 35k miles. Impeccable condition!!

I'm thinking of replacing the stock 16" rims with 17" ones. Anyone out there with any recommendation? Since I am into car detailing, I prefer not to buy those with too many spokes!!

I would also love to hear from all LS owners out there on how to spruce the car up a bit. I'm kinda conservative so would prefer those less obvious kind.

Just joined the Lexus Club and proud of it!!

Last edited by Hann; 05-17-01 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-17-01, 11:03 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to the Club...
I recomend going with 18's..... i currently have 18' Quantum Tek, 235/40/18... I got these at a really good price but i still want bigger, the proble is the car is so big that the rim looks small, even with 18's

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ab83b...xaRV7Apvga6QeJ

check out the pic of my car... if you look under my other thread you can view my other car pictures.

Well if you need any help feel free to ask...
Old 05-18-01, 01:46 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Welcome Hann. I'm sure if you search through past threads on this sight you will see many ideas and suggestions on modifications, both aesthetic and performance based. Unfortunately the "wheel" topic is greatly discussed and debated and should probably have its own forum (mkilty!!). My best advice is to look in the gallery and read past posts and find a brand/style you like. There are several good sights that have TONS of wheels to look at and several members that can point you in the right direction about fitment.

Check these out.

www.superbuytires.com
www.gtautosports.com
www.dazzmotorsports.com
www.victoriatire.com

Keep posting!!! We need all the LS traffic we can get...

Last edited by zushwa; 05-18-01 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-18-01, 06:54 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Hann!
What kind of upgrades are you interested in, engine or looks or both?
The big question is how much are you willing to spend?
Old 05-18-01, 09:21 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Lou,

There was a 1st gen (90-94) LS400 with polished 5 spokes at the Dairy Ashford Bally's last night... wasn't yours was it? I looked around but didn't see you.
Old 05-18-01, 09:27 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Hann,

Congrats on the acquisition. I have the virtually identical 96 model. I am more into power than style but wanted to welcome you aboard the LS cruise.
Old 05-18-01, 10:06 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm?
Wasn't me but I do work out there around 8 M-F
Gonna have to find out who car that is and see if he wants to join the club.
Old 05-21-01, 04:42 AM
Hann
Driver School Candidate

I'm more into looks than power....figure that the LS400 has more power than I will ever need.
Old 05-21-01, 09:10 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Hann my friend, don't you know? You can't be too good looking, too rich or have too much POWER!
Old 05-24-01, 03:00 AM
Hann
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'm currently looking into upgrading to 18"s. Having done that, would it make sense to lower the car 1" for improved handling? I've read somewhere here about going with Tokico and Eibach. Could anyone please comment??
Old 05-24-01, 04:11 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Hanns,

The Tokico/Eibach set-up is what I'm going with. I know Loule has it and it's been recommended by a few other members. I am also looking at 18's, although I'd rather have 19's to fill the wheelwell. 19's get a bit expensive and I don't want to sacrifice too much of the lexus ride. Do you have any particular wheels in mind???

Josh
Old 05-24-01, 08:37 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Wheels....

Check out my other post on the Tokico shocks and Eibach springs setup and how I feel about it:
Driving impressions of my "new"LS400 vs 85 Supra, seeking advice.

On the wheels I also have 18" on and I highly recommend them.
You don't lose too much of the LS smoothness and also can handle the many pot holes like I have in downtown Houston.
I would love to go larger but I know someone with 19" that have to get them redone all the time going down downtown (not naming any names~VeilsideRSPsc ).
Also, be careful on what you choose because there is some people on this forum that has a very high taste value for Lexus cars and imitations wheels will be ripped bad (Man----- , be nice).
Good luck with your setup and just give the forum a holler if you got any other questions.
Old 05-24-01, 11:12 AM
CGenberg

Default Bilstein & Newbie Intro

Hi guys,

I'm another newbie - seems like the site is picking up lots of new members recently.

By way of introductions, I'm a performance fan but the LS4 is my wife's daily driver, so it's only going to get stuff she needs/wants.

I'll also confess my sin of being a Mercedes owner as well. Please forgive me. This is the car that's got the most of my performance attention but there's only a couple left to do. See what it's got so far at:
http://home.pacbell.net/genberg/index.html

Anyways, I wanted to ask the group why I can't find any info on Bilstein shocks for the LS4. They're very popular in Mercedes circles and I just ordered some this morning for the LS4 (despite being very expensive). Hopefully I haven't made a mistake. Please give me the conventional wisdom surrounding Bilstein's mated to LS's.

I'm sticking with OEM springs for another year as any lowering would prevent me from using our driveway for either of our cars. Naturally, we're working on trading in the house for a "lowered car"-friendlier version. Priorities are priorities.

Thanks in advance. See you on the boards.

-Carl
Old 05-24-01, 11:45 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Loule, you know you're just antagonizing Manaray...now he's going to be on the look out for any chrome knock-offs!!!

I agree with you about 18's being "pothole friendly", but I would love to see how your car looks. Come on, just the wheels so we can see 18's with the tokico/eibach set-up...I know you want to show off those Volks.

There have been quite a few new members...that's great!!!! now maybe we can get people together for group buys and put pressure on SRT for LS mod's...

I wasn't aware Bilstein made shocks for the LS, or maybe not the 93 model...anyone????

Anyways, welcome to all the new members, I hope we can all improve our LS's from each others input.

Last edited by zushwa; 05-24-01 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-24-01, 11:54 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by zushwa
Loule, you know you're just antagonizing Manaray...now he's going to be on the look out for any chrome knock-offs!!!

I agree with you about 18's being "pothole friendly", but I would love to see how your car looks. Come on, just the wheels so we can see 18's with the tokico/eibach set-up...I know you want to show off those Racing Harts..

There have been quite a few new members...that's great!!!! now maybe we can get people together for group buys and put pressure on SRT for LS mod's...

I wasn't aware Bilstein made shocks for the LS, or maybe not the 93 model...anyone????

Anyways, welcome to all the new members, I hope we can all improve our LS's from each others input.
Josh - I got 18" Volk Racing AV3, not Racing Harts.
Get it straight! J/J

There will be pics soon.
I'll take some while and after the stereo is done.
I wish HKS will hurry up with the exhaust!

Bilstein does make shocks for the LS but it is a little stiffer then the Tokico shocks.
You won't get the smoothness of a ride from the Bilstein like you would from the Tokico will from what I heard a while back on the GS Forum long time ago.

As for Man----, he is on a posers hunt all over the ClubLexus board on people who want imitation wheels.
I'm just giving him a hard time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Ls400