LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

enginer won't go over 4000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 10:39 AM
UltraLexx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default enginer won't go over 4000 rpm

This just started happening. When I accelerate hard, and as soon as the motor hits 400rpm it just dies, I mean the engine is still running but it gets stuck on 4000rpm and power (HP) just dies off. I immediatly pulled over and put it in park and tried to rev past 4000 and succesfully did. Can this be an ecu problem or a tranny prob. 93'LS400 133,000 mi
Rich
Old 01-17-05, 10:51 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

i hardly ever hit or use 4000 rpm. unless i'm flooring it, I can go up to 6-7k RPM. but I don't want to do that with a lex. Might hurt my baby too much.

But I'm not sure, it could be the Transmission.
Well mostly when tranny is bad, it doesn't shift gear or feel like neutral drive, or not shifting out of 1st or 2nd gear, with only RPM going up, but car not pushing.
Old 01-17-05, 06:20 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

When I had my 90LS, it ran fine, even when drivin very hard, and I bet 100 bux no one has drivin an LS has hard as I have You could not hurt the motor even if you tried. Anyhow, I had a problem somewhat like yours and I also thought it was the tranny. I had various intake systems on my car for a long period of time and then I switched to a factory, un-modded box. With the stock intake system, if you had your foot on the floor, it would sputter somewhat and be very week in the upper RPM range. I opened my intake path back up and the problem was gone. I believe the MAF meter was part of the problem. As an experiment, open up your stock intake and just remove the front half of the box and snug the filter back into the ring clamp that the box uses without the front part of the box. Use clips or clamps if you think you need them. Go for a drive and see if it still gets week at the top end. I think you need either a new air filter or a new air flow meter. Let us know how the experiment works out
Old 01-18-05, 10:04 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

Originally Posted by sniper
When I had my 90LS, it ran fine, even when drivin very hard, and I bet 100 bux no one has drivin an LS has hard as I have You could not hurt the motor even if you tried. Anyhow, I had a problem somewhat like yours and I also thought it was the tranny. I had various intake systems on my car for a long period of time and then I switched to a factory, un-modded box. With the stock intake system, if you had your foot on the floor, it would sputter somewhat and be very week in the upper RPM range. I opened my intake path back up and the problem was gone. I believe the MAF meter was part of the problem. As an experiment, open up your stock intake and just remove the front half of the box and snug the filter back into the ring clamp that the box uses without the front part of the box. Use clips or clamps if you think you need them. Go for a drive and see if it still gets week at the top end. I think you need either a new air filter or a new air flow meter. Let us know how the experiment works out
good luck with that when it rains...
Old 01-18-05, 12:06 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nagasakki
good luck with that when it rains...
Luck with which? an open box? iv had an open box, intake and all that in the rain without problems. Besides, this open box thing is just a test that is going to involve maybe 5 minuets of driving. If the car drives good, at least it will put to rest tranny worries.

UltraLexx, have you had a tranny flush done recently?
Old 01-20-05, 03:45 PM
JdubES300
Driver School Candidate

it's the Mass air flow sensor. i had the problem with my other car g35 and it would lose power at around 4000rpm.
Old 01-20-05, 09:25 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I bet I drive harder then you
Old 01-20-05, 09:39 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

i first thought u were talking about someone "engineer" not going over 4000 haha and not "engine"
Old 01-21-05, 09:23 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

Originally Posted by JdubES300
it's the Mass air flow sensor. i had the problem with my other car g35 and it would lose power at around 4000rpm.
that depends if he has aftermarket cold air intake. with stock air filter, never has problem like that.
Old 01-21-05, 11:53 AM
Smoothride
Rookie

I'd check:

MAF
TPS (Throttle position sensor)
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter (clogged)
Cat Converter (clogged)
Old 01-21-05, 08:37 PM
gowest
Driver

I have similar problem with your......my car won't rev over 3500 rpm and no mater how hard I push the pedal the trans. shift at about 3500 rpm. The first thing my mechanic check is kick down cable...... after 5 minute of adjusting I'm good to go......check that out, too.
Old 01-22-05, 12:55 PM
UltraLexx
Driver School Candidate

I removed the front half of the intake and the car drove completelt different. No hesitation and shifted correctly, all the way to redline. Sniper was right on. The filter didnt seem too clogged up I knocked it against the wall a few times and I could see through it. That leaves one thing I guess MAF sensor. I believe the part said Fuji on it. Is it imperitive that OEM be used or an aftermarket piece and How much is expected for the part? This had me concerned I feel much better now..

Thank You everyone that replied.

Rich
Old 01-22-05, 01:54 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

UltraLexx, on something like an MAF, i would go OEM. Aftermarket may not work correctly. even the slightest varation in materials on an MAF can screw something up royally.
Old 01-23-05, 01:21 PM
Iron Sheik
Rookie

I have the same exact problem with my 99 ES 300.
I get stuck at 4,000 rpm at 50 mph (80 km/h) for a second or two and then continue accelerating.
I basically get stuck at 4,000 rpm in every gear except 1st!!!
I guess it is the MAF sensor.
Plus, the car gets slower than it already is at high way speeds!!!!

Iron Sheik
Old 01-23-05, 06:19 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vraa
I bet I drive harder then you

How much you willing to bet?

Glad you got the problem worked out UltraLexx! I told you it would ease your concerns! BTW, didnt that motor sound sweet when you opened it up

Quick Reply: enginer won't go over 4000 rpm