LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How quick is your 1st gen LS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 03:17 AM
Craigster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How quick is your 1st gen LS?

Hi Everyone!!

I've talked about the following - a lot - at the LexusOwnersClub.com site in the LS400 forums. [under the topic - "Please do me a favour" - my nickname there is 'CanadaCraig'] My 1993 LS takes a long time - so I am convinced - to reach 100 kph. [62 mph] Could you look at the video of my gauges and tell me IF you agree? There is nothing wrong with my car [says the Lexus dealer service guy] but I'm not convinced. And if any of you know how long it takes YOUR stock 1st generation LS to reach 60 mph - that would help a lot. [and I mean just 'flooring' it from a stop - not brake starting it or anything like that]

To see my gauges - click on THIS and download the little video. [it's perfectly safe - lots of guys at the other site have already looked at it!!]

I just want to re-assure myself that I'm not imagining things. But if you think my 1993 LS really IS as quick as it ought to be - I'd like to know that too!!

Thank you very much.

Craig
Old 12-16-04, 08:27 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by xmystikx
yea, it does look like your car is a little slow accelerating. my car accelerates 0-100km, well 0-60, in low 7's so dont be too shocked if it takes a while to get going. the LS is a heavy car and it takes a while for the v8 to get it going. i am catless, have a stripped trunk, 2.25" piping, intake, and use 91 octane to get me to low 7's and my car feels really quick actually. i wouldnt be surprised if my LS could take on a 530i or even possibly a 540i on a good day.
I wouldnt put my money on beating a 540i, esp with 6speed even with a 98+. The 540's score a good 0-60 in under 6secs. I would say they would go head to head with a GS.
Old 12-16-04, 11:58 AM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just timed you. This is only valid if from the very begining until you got to 100 kph (62 mph) you were basically flooring it. You did it in about 11-13 seconds (i did several runs, average 12 i'd say). That seems a bit slow. Also, just looking at the speedometer needle, it doesn't seem to move up as fast as in my car. But then again, I've rarely gone over 4000 rpm during my ownership of vehicle though, and maybe the power band doesn't peak high after 4000 rpm like you were driving.
I agree with the above posts; the LS400 (at least the 1st gen) is a heavy car. The positive outcomes of this weight is that the driving feel is very solid and planted to the ground (like a tank). On the highway, the car seems extremely solid at speed and feels like nothing can "derail" it. Also, it brings about safety in accidents. The negatvies, though, is of course the lack of quickness and perhaps bad fuel economy. As for me, I prefer the heavy, solid feel; and plus, the car is plenty fast (by no means sluggish). So I don't know, I like it .

But in all honesty, i do think your car might be a bit slow. Let's hear from others, they might disagree. If in fact it is slow, I don't know what the cause of it would be though!
Old 12-16-04, 12:27 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Somethings wrong, it shouldn't be that slow. Mine is in the 7's.
Old 12-16-04, 07:23 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I am a carlength and a half behind a GS400, from 0-60, and then we even out all the way until 120-125, then the GS4 pulls away.
Old 12-16-04, 11:21 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on average, the ls400 stock should be around 8-9 seconds from 0-60 realistically speaking.
Old 12-17-04, 07:14 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

hi,
mine is 8 sec flat... something's very wrong with 11-12 secs...
at the very beginning of the video of revving, are you flooring it at the very beginning? there is a serious hesitation between 1 and 2K rpm... shoudn't be. when one floors it from idle, should immediately rev quickly.

i keep my car and drivers and road and tracks and at the time, they were quoting around 8 secs for 0-60. good luck.
Old 12-20-04, 11:09 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Yours seems like a LX450 or something. As said above, the LS is a heavy car but even so mine does 0-60 in high 7s/ low 8s.
Old 12-20-04, 11:33 AM
Craigster
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone!!

I appreciate the responses. And YES - in the video - I am 'flooring it' from a dead stop. No hesitation insofar as my foot is concerned!! I've received several simliar videos from other LS400 owners - and their cars do indeed get to 60 [or about 100 kph] in just over 8 seconds.

QUESTION

It has been suggested that my 1993 LS400 has a throttle CABLE. That CABLE is connected to a lever [or 'Bellcrank'] that rotates the throttle plate from the closed position. Is that true? And IF the throttle plate is NOT adjusted correctly - could THAT be causing my car to be so slow? AND if that throttle plate isn't opening fully [as it should when 'floored'] would the ECM take note of that or would everything [computer wise] seem OK? [hopefully this makes sense]

Quite a few things have been done to my LS since I bought it just over a year ago. Even though it only HAD about 50,000 miles when I bought it [it now has about 68,000] I had the timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, spark plugs and spark plug wires changed. And most recently - in the attempt to fix the acceleration problem - one of the throttle control sensors and the fuel pump were replaced. [the Lexus service guys said those two items were not functioning properly] Unfortunately - nothing they have done has made any difference whatsoever insofar as performance is concerned. Not only is it slow [which is frustrating enough] but when I accelerate hard [like turning left in front of oncoming traffic] I have to ease up on the gas pedal in order to speed up. In other words - as we do - I 'floor it' to get out of the way as quickly as possible only to have to back off on the gas pedal to speed up. [am I making sense?] Would all of this add up to an improperly adjusted throttle cable/throttle plate?!

Thanks again,
Craig!!
Old 04-28-05, 12:12 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

any updates on the acceleration issue ? was it resolved ?
Old 04-28-05, 06:52 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

LS is very smooth that is why you dont feel its fast.....
Old 04-28-05, 10:05 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

You say you get more power if you ease onto the gas, like if you floor it it wont accelarate as fast as if you ease onto it... if that is right it kind of sounds like an AFR (air fuel ratio) problem.... im not expert though, you might want to have you fuel filter looked at you fuel pump. but like i said, im no expert....
Old 04-28-05, 11:35 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
LS is very smooth that is why you dont feel its fast.....
This is very true. I remember back in '90 when the 1st gen arrived my uncle had one of the first from Smithtown Lexus in L.I. NY. When he floored the pedal it felt like your back was pasted to the seat. I don't feel that as a driver or a passenger in mine. Do you 1st gen owners know what I'm talking about?
Old 05-02-05, 01:24 PM
simcom
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Here is my acceleration video :

http://www.opal.tomkii.net/simcom/In...us%20LS400.avi

Something is wrong with my tranny but even with this malfunction mine is slightly faster than yours... (I have 90' LS)

Regards
Old 05-03-05, 03:15 PM
iceburgslim
Driver School Candidate

I can't DL the video because I'm at work, but the easiest way to time something is to tape it and then count the seconds on the playback time by watching the video. Much easier and more accurate than with a stopwatch IMO.

Quick Reply: How quick is your 1st gen LS?