LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

random problems with my ls400 93

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 04:10 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy random problems with my ls400 93

I have a 93 ls400 it's 215k miles.
i just started having all these problems at once.
it all started out when i was about to goto work and I try to crank my car up, I had trouble starting the car up but after few attemps my car was finally cranked on.

After a week later, when i turn on engine after resting for a bit..the idle speed seems to be quicker with RPM around 1200 and after driving it for awhile and when i come to complete stop the idle speed is back to normal.

After that while i was driving i come to a stop light and I hit the brakes for complete stop. Then when light turned Green i push the gas the RPM went down instead of going up and when i let go of gas pedal it goes back up to 1000 ish. then i push the gas pedal again it does the same thing over and over and after few attempts the car rolls normal.

I also had the engine braking feeling while driving when i let the foot off the gas while car is rolling around 30+ mph.

After all that, I let my car rest and next day had to goto work, I had trouble cranking up my car and after the few attemps the car finally cut on but the RMP was over 2000+ !! And the car was making revving noise. Normally my car will be quiet even with engine on. Well i tried to let it settle for 5 min. The engine just cut off. I smelled alot of gas around the hood too.

I took it to shop and got the starter, flywheel, and idle control replaced. Then after a week the problems camb back. So i figure it's none of those.

Could my car needed a Tune up, spark plugs, wiring etc?? I already done the oil change and new tranny and those 3 above.

So please someone help me out if you know about this problem.
Old 12-07-04, 10:25 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

Exclamation MORE PROBLEM

most of times it cranks up quick but after driving for a bit, when i come to nearly complete stop or low speed 5-10 mph the car stalls. just happend 3 times in 2 days.

While i had these problems...Engine light never came on. so it's hard to tell whats wrong with this car.
Old 12-07-04, 02:02 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Have a "load test" done on your battery as well as your alternator.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 12-07-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-07-04, 05:03 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

Angry

Hm my friend said the same thing, I'll check and see the results.
b/t/w did i spent too much on starter, idle control, flywheel, the guy charged me 450 for parts and 750 for labor...I think I got ripped. the guy lied to me saying it'll be about 1000 for the parts and 200 for labor. but then in receipt 450 for parts and 750 for labor, i think he just added up on labor just to make it the amount he told me. anywayz nothing is fixed! he even told me his 100% positive it's starter, flywheel, and idle control...3 times and nodding his head like his so sure. so I was like ok then fix it. but afterall he was wrong. I'm gonna sue that guy and channel 9 his @$$.

Just hope your right it's battery and alternator, those two are way easier job than doing the starter and flywheel...since flywheel is all theway down below intake manifold. *fingers crossed*
Old 12-09-04, 12:03 AM
la013oi
Driver School Candidate

i do also beleive it is the altenator....because this happend to me too but i had a truck...my car keep shutting off and after buying a new battery it drove for awhile then started cuttin off like the battery was dieing and it was becuase it wasnt being charged....my altenartoe had a bolt that broke off so the belt was loose and it didnt spin....check the battery altenator and its belts...
Old 12-09-04, 02:16 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

but what about after you start the car and leave it in a park for couple min and all of a sudden RPM jumps or rises up to 2000+ and then a min later it slowy drops. does this relate to alternator also?

And while driving for a quarter mile and u come to complete stop then press on gas...the RPM drops down near nearly 50-100 almost close to "0" RPM and when i let go it jumps back up, and press the gas again it does same....so I freakin' floored it and vrooom it goes lolz.

All these problems and above happend at the same time as well as starting car.
I know the having trouble cranking up the car has to do with alternator and battery...but the other problems beside that made it a mystery.

Huy! HELP ME!
Old 12-20-04, 11:49 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

It can't be an alternator. if alternator is bad or out...your car wont start at all or dead when it stops.
Old 12-20-04, 01:16 PM
Lexushead
Driver

Default Alternator

Just take the alternator off and have NAPA test it. Won't cost you anything.
Old 12-20-04, 02:07 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

Default alternator price?

you guys know how much the alternator might cost for my LS400 93?
I hope this isn't another $1,000....
Old 12-20-04, 03:15 PM
Lexushead
Driver

Alternator cost: anywhere from $176.12 at partbins.com
Don't get used alternators from cars that have > 100k miles
Old 12-20-04, 08:03 PM
ntamas
Driver School Candidate

Hello Nagasakky

I think that you need to verify if your timing belt was changed for the last 60.000mi. Also I think that you need a tune up, please look at the oxigen sensors. Go to the Lexus dealer for a free estimate and do some work somplace where is not to expensive. Thank you from Tom.

Originally Posted by nagasakki
I have a 93 ls400 it's 215k miles.
i just started having all these problems at once.
it all started out when i was about to goto work and I try to crank my car up, I had trouble starting the car up but after few attemps my car was finally cranked on.

After a week later, when i turn on engine after resting for a bit..the idle speed seems to be quicker with RPM around 1200 and after driving it for awhile and when i come to complete stop the idle speed is back to normal.

After that while i was driving i come to a stop light and I hit the brakes for complete stop. Then when light turned Green i push the gas the RPM went down instead of going up and when i let go of gas pedal it goes back up to 1000 ish. then i push the gas pedal again it does the same thing over and over and after few attempts the car rolls normal.

I also had the engine braking feeling while driving when i let the foot off the gas while car is rolling around 30+ mph.

After all that, I let my car rest and next day had to goto work, I had trouble cranking up my car and after the few attemps the car finally cut on but the RMP was over 2000+ !! And the car was making revving noise. Normally my car will be quiet even with engine on. Well i tried to let it settle for 5 min. The engine just cut off. I smelled alot of gas around the hood too.

I took it to shop and got the starter, flywheel, and idle control replaced. Then after a week the problems camb back. So i figure it's none of those.

Could my car needed a Tune up, spark plugs, wiring etc?? I already done the oil change and new tranny and those 3 above.

So please someone help me out if you know about this problem.
Old 12-21-04, 06:13 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default That's expensive and misleading advice....

If he is concerned about the cost of a new alternator, then he is in no financial position to consider a $600-$1000 timing belt change, especially since that has nothing to do with his current problems.

If you feel he should be changing his timing belt every 60,000 miles because of some extreme maintenance compulsions you may have, you should at least admit it.

But don't tell nagasakki he should get a new timing belt under the guise that it might help his current engine problems, because it won't.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-21-04 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 08:05 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your TPS is going bad.
Old 12-23-04, 04:08 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

Unhappy

ok, I had taken to dealer and been using their free loaner car for 2 weeks. And they had NOT FOUND a problem! They said it happend once right after I pulled the car in for service and then was working fine, he checked all the sensors and they were fine. Also said the idle control was stickling but then was fine. And heck I'm not going back to the unauthorized mechanic, because they will just replace parts ti'l the car is fixed which is wasting money.

Sadly they let the car sit there for days and not only drive 5-10 min a day, which not suppose to. In order to see the problem or problem to come up, they have to drive it alot, everyday. But they want extra money to do that. That's just another way to waste money, 'cuz I doubt they'll still wont be able to find the solution to the problem.

I've been driving and traveling from NC to NY alot and I really loved this car. But I think it's time for him (my car) to go. He ran strong ti'l 220k miles. I had spent over $7,000 dollars in last 7 months. I want to fix this problem, but I can't handle it anymore 'cuz of my finance.

I am trading the car in for new, I would sell it, but this is my only car and I need a transportation to work. So I'm desperate for newer car.
And it's not safe to drive the car, 'cuz car will just stall in middle of traffic randomly. I don't want to do that to embarass myself and ruin lexus reputation on the streets, because I had never seen a lexus broke down in middle of highway or streets.
Old 12-23-04, 07:04 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey, don't quit now

Hey dude.

I know the cost of repairing a Lexus. look at my post:
exhaust issues

I'm in the great NC so if you have some time and are anywhere near Charlotte I'd like to look at your ride.

I have worked on older american cars, and moved on to Japanese.
I have an Isuzu - What a headache that thing is! -
But with the Lex, you have to fix and realize that the thing is strong.
Unless the poor sap who had it before you never did a thing.

Maintenance is the key, and you CAN narrow down your problems without going to the Stealer or your local rip-me-off-cause-you-don't-know-me shop.

I have become intimate with my cars because I know what I have done and haven't done to them.

so email a local here if you want to keep your ride.

As for ruining the Lexus reputation by stalling out,. I drove with the flashers on for an hour last week. And towed it to the Toy stealer; And my local shop. I know how you feel.

my 2 cents
Lorenzo

Quick Reply: random problems with my ls400 93