LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 08:04 AM
koutskyj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump

I have a '92 LS 400, is it very difficult to install a new power steering pump? I hear a whining noise up front that has been getting worse...
Old 11-19-04, 07:24 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that you need a new pump. You need to determine what is happening.

First, I would suggest that you check the fluid level and fill it to the fill line, if it is low. Then bleed the system by turning the wheel back and forth a few times. This should stop the whining noise for the time being.

Watch the fluid level for several days to see how rapidly it may be losing fluid.

The most dangerous power steering fluid loss is when it drips from the pump onto the alternator. If this appears to be happening, you should get it repaired as quickly as possible. This leak can destroy your alternator.

A very common power steering leak on the first generation cars involves the air control valve. This is a valve which screws into the bottom of the power steering pump. It has two rubber hoses which run from the valve to the air intake at the top of the engine. One hose taps into the air intake downstream from the air filter, and the other is connected to the intake manifold at the front of the engine. If the air control valve fails, power steering fluid tends to be sucked into these hoses and gets burned in the engine.

If you notice a cloud of white smoke when you start the car, this valve has probably failed. You can check the valve by pulling these hoses loose from their nipples and seeing if fluid is present in them. This valve is easily replaced (it costs about $80.00) without replacing the entire pump.

The other thing to look for is one or more leaks in the steering rack. If you are losing fluid here, there is no point in replacing the pump.

Power steering pumps can be overhauled. Check www.lexls.com for a tutorial on this.
Old 11-21-04, 04:57 PM
tlmmkm1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my pump started leaking 8 years ago---warned by the grinding noise when turning---didnt want to spend the 400-800 to fix/replace so i added "stop-leak". it took a few weeks and a few more ounces of stop-leak but its been alot cheaper to add alittle fluid once/twice a year than the alternative...and no alternator probs from the leakage...its a 90 LS.