LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 or 96 LS400 w/ Engine Stall Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 08:23 PM
My95LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 95 or 96 LS400 w/ Engine Stall Problem?

Do you have a 95 or 96 LS400 with the engine stalling problem after a relatively long (1 to 2 hours or more of) freeway drving and when you try to slow down/stop at the exit ramp? Has your vehicle's warranty long been expired? Then, please don't expect to get any help from Lexus in fixing the problem or at least share the cost of the repair expense. Thanks to this forum, I discovered the cause of the stalling problem with my 95 LS400 and requested Lexus pleading for help. I think that I was too naive expecting a sincere letter to Lexus would do some good, but (I guess) I got snubbed by Lexus in the most polite manner. For your information, please read the following:

*****************************************************************************************************************
My letter to Lexus:
==============
Subject: Technical Service Bulletin - EG002-97

Dear Lexus,

We have 1995 LS400 with 110,000 miles on it and are satisfied with the vehicle except one specific problem. We are hoping that you would help us in correcting this problem. I am the second owner and purchased the vehicle after its basic warranty was expired.

Our LS400 stalls almost every instance after I drive on freeway for approximately more than 1.5 hours and when I try to stop at the light after exiting the freeway. We donĄŻt use the vehicle for a long drive very often and have somehow become accustomed to the problem. We thought that we were unlucky with the purchase and inherited the previous ownerĄŻs headache until several weeks ago when we took our LS400 for a family outing with our three daughters in the back seat.

While we were approaching the signal light to prepare to stop after about 120 miles of driving on the freeway, the vehicle stalled again with power to the steering wheel and the brake lost. We nearly got into an accident (barely avoid hitting into the car stopped in front of us). From that moment and on, the problem has no longer been a mere nuisance for us and became a safety issue.

My research on internet revealed that I am not the only owner who has this stalling problem. I was able to obtain Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin which addresses this specific issue (LS400 EG002-97). The bulletin indicates that the problem is caused by a faulty ECM (P/N 89661-50302) logic and the new and improved ECM (P/N 89661-50303) has been issued to correct this condition which is covered by the warranty. Unfortunately, the warranty on our LS400 has long been expired.

We have to correct this stalling problem but have learned that itĄŻs costly to replace the ECM outside of the warranty coverage. We feel that itĄŻs not fair for us to disburse all repair expenses ourselves. WeĄŻd like to solicit your help in resolving this issue in a fair manner.

Would you have a policy in dealing with the situation such as the above?

Please inform us of satisfactory resolutions that Lexus would offer us in repairing this stalling problem.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Lexus' Response:
==============
Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction regarding your 1995 LS 400. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts.

For proper diagnosis of the stalling concern, we recommend that an authorized Lexus dealership inspect your vehicle. To perform any repair, the Lexus dealer must be able to duplicate the condition to diagnose the nature of concern. Lexus also recommends test driving the vehicle with a service technician to duplicate the condition and possibly test driving a similar vehicle for characteristic comparisons. Please contact your local Lexus dealer to make inspection arrangements.

I apologize but after reviewing the national service history of your vehicle and warranty expiration date, Lexus respectfully declines to offer any assistance in this matter. Again, we are sorry for any inconvenience this situation may cause you.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Old 09-21-04, 08:43 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread might help you out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=129767
specifically this link inside that thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2068/1/115/

Good luck!

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 09-21-04 at 08:47 PM.