LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thought like me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-01, 11:52 AM
Mind18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been having some thoughts about Lexus's cars lately, because of the many things that happened this year regarding Lexus cars. I was just curious if anyone else had these thoughts, so please respond. These thoughts are more like disappoinments, but also just wonderment into what is in the head of Lexus.

1.) LS430: Anyone else not like it too much? I know the technology in it is phenemonial, but design wise from the outside it isn't striking. As some people have commented it looks too much like a blend of MB and Acura's flagship model. I don't think they would copy, but it seemed like they did. I personally like last year's version, with the interesting/different wheels that went well with its elegance and the front and back design. It looked "classy" to me. And I'm not sure if people ever notice this, but I also liked how the back lightning lit up in certain ways, like when braking. To me it makes it look more distinguished, and unique. And in regards to that, anyone else think they should have side blinkers on all of their line of cars? Going back to looks, last year model's front makes he car look more wider, while this year, it doesn't capture that look.

2.) GS 430: Anyone else not like the refresh? Anyone else hesistant about when they redesign it, because I loved last generations and this generations. To me, this is a great car, that incorporates some of the problems I mentioned about with the LS 430. Maybe some other key distinguished features, like how MB has side mirror blinkers, Lexus should come up with.

3.) ES 300: Love this car. new generation was introduced in 1997 and still looks elegant but sporty. Worried about next generation, hope they keep the frameless doors and block tail lights.

4.) IS 300: I think the car looks good, but i don't understand why they made the interior so non-lexus. I understand their campaign was suppose to be "radical" and was suppose to erase precoceived notions of lexus, but preconceived notions of lexus interiors is a very good thing. Again, it seemed like they copied, espically when usually orange/red lights for the instrument panels.

5.) SC 430: Not sure if I like this car or not yet. Again as people have mentioned, at some angles it is stunning, but others it isn't. And as mentioned with the IS 300, it seems like maybe they take their "concepts" to far sometimes. I say this in regards to the speedometer which only has black faced gauges. I assume they did this since they look more like "yacht" speedometers. But their "luminensce" gauges are unique, and something that could be considered "Lexus". Because they don't seem to have too many things like that as opposed to MB cars or Acura.

I still love Lexus cars, but thought I just see what other people thought. Sorry about the long message, these thoughts have been brewing in my head for a while now.
Old 04-14-01, 11:10 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Mind, your points are valid. I have an 96 LS400 and really like the styling of the front fenders. The 98s lost the crisp lines and went more rounded, the 2001s look ALOT like MBs. Plus the new car has a speed limiter at 130mph!!! Why!!! Infiniti has a ways to come before reaching Lexus quality BUT Infinit/Nissan is coming out with some exciting cars. The new Q45 has 340hp (although low end is nothing special) and they have a 400hp special edition due out year end. The new SC is very nice but seems feminine to me. I like the original SCs best. Lexus NEEDS to offer the IS300 with the old Supra twin turbo motor. The new GS430 should have 325+hp, the new LS should have an "AMG/M" type model with big power and sport.
Old 04-15-01, 11:11 AM
Stephen
Pole Position

To me, the best styled LS model is the 98-00. I think its very classy and understated, but still has some modern, clear and bright aspects to it. The 95-97 (no offence) to me is way too boring. When I was shopping in 95 I wasnt impressed with the LS400. In 98 though I was blown away. My favorite part of my car is the front, as you said it makes the car look wide and low. The front of the LS430 is a little tall, and the grille is too large I think. Almost looks like a picture of a 98 LS400 on a baloon that was blown up too much. I hate the wheels on the LS430, and will probably replace them with 2000 LS400 platinum edition wheels.

As for the GS430, I dont think they did enough to it to change my opinion. The only difference is the wheels and the rear lights, and all the additions to the interior were positive.

The ES300 is long due for a redesign and a price cut. The car is good looking, but to drive it does nothing for me. Too Camryish.

The SC430 is very interesting, I hope to get by and drive one soon.

I dont care much for the IS300.

I think its kinda funny that people have always knocked Lexus for being too conservative and reserved, when they finally break some molds and step out, they're called being unLexuslike.

The poor company just cant win. Somebody must like em, they're the bestselling luxury nameplate in the country.
Old 04-15-01, 11:41 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Toyota/Lexus Design...

I hate to say this, but it's very true. Toyota/Lexus isn't know for their groundbreaking designs for the most part. Toyota is a notorious for "borrowing" designs from different cars and mending them into one. Most of the time, they make it different enough so that the design only has a "hint" of it's origins..other times, they pretty much can be confused with the other brand.

I think on the SC, it's pretty nice. I don't think they borrowed very much in the way of design from other car manufacturers though some people say they copied Audi and others...

The GS, a lot of people say it's a copy of the E-Class but I don't think so. I think it's more a blend of the original GS and the SC. As far as the updates go, they're very minor but I like them. The taillights especially make the newer JZS16x GS's look different from the older (98-2000) GS's...also, the newer Navigation system and the Mark Levinson system rock.

As far the ES goes, it's WAY too much for what it offers. The Infiniti I30 and the Acura TL/CL offer SO MUCH more for the money that the simple fact that the ES is a "Lexus" isn't enough. A resdesign with more added features (all models should have HID. Nav/ML should be an option, wood steering wheel an option, 10 way power seats for BOTH front seats, auto dimming mirrows, auto down back up mirrors, sun shade, more power/torque, etc., etc.)

RX - Did you know the RX only has like an 800lb "won't tip" weight limit guarantee ? It's the lowest in the SUV market (even below the Ford garbage). I expect more from Lexus!

LS - Yes, this car does look like a mercedes in many ways but then again, it also looks like the older LS's in many ways which is suppose to look a mercedes also... ...

Personally, I think the GS is the only original looking Lexus out of the bunch...most people don't associate the GS's design with any other car (at least the newer 16x body style ones). Toyota needs to put some more effort into creating original designs (which is not easy, I understand)...otherwise, they're just going to keep labels like "Japanese Mercedes"...which to me, is a put down because Mercedes couldn't even hope to be as reliable as a Toyota.

Old 04-15-01, 12:09 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

Default Re: Toyota/Lexus Design...

Originally posted by manaray
RX - Did you know the RX only has like an 800lb "won't tip" weight limit guarantee ? It's the lowest in the SUV market (even below the Ford garbage). I expect more from Lexus!
Which Ford garbage is that? I've owned three Explorers and none have been garbage...
Old 04-15-01, 05:06 PM
Mind18
Driver

Cool Agree Stephen

I agree with your post Stephen. I like that model of the LS 400, espically how he headlights have a "tint" to them, which makes them look unique. And as for your comment on Lexus not being able to win, I didn't mean to convey that I think Lexus stepping out of their mold is a bad thing. I just think, as an example, the IS 300 stepped out way too much. I like the body and from various publications it has received great reviews, but as far as the interior goes...well in this case I think "unlexuslike" is not necessarily a good thing.
Old 04-15-01, 05:11 PM
Mind18
Driver

Cool Another Point

And on another note, I've been pretty impressed with the recent cars introduced by Toyota. For example, New Celica, MR2 Spyder, soon to be released Matrix. Also, as mentioned in another post, I don't really think they get the label of japenese mercedes too often...japenese cars habe their own flavor to them.
Old 04-15-01, 05:47 PM
Stephen
Pole Position

Actually mind, the headlights on the LS430 have a greenish tint to them, kinda unique. I like the car the more and more I see it.