LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Questions Comparing 98-00 LS400 vrs 01-04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 01:51 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions Comparing 98-00 LS400 vrs 01-04 LS430

Hey All

I have been considering upgrading to a 430 and have some questions for any of you who have specifically upgraded from a 98-00 LS400 to a LS430. I have test driven several 430 and they are very nice but a test drive does not compare to owning the car and also have owned the previous model.

Here are some comparison question for you. ( I originally typed these questions to a CL Member who currently owns both a 400 and 430. So those of you who dont still own the 400 please just make comment based on you memory of the older car)

I am making the questions easy to answer. Yes, No type answers but if you wish to elaborate I would love to read your comments.

Is the 430 much quieter down the road?
a. Big diff in city traffic?
b. Big diff at Highway speeds?

Is the 430 much smoother over minor road imperfection? Or just smoother over all?

If you were to close your eyes could you EASILY tell which car your in?
a. Based on Sound (Road Noise or lack of)
b. Based on Ride (Road Vibration or lack of)

The 430 has a improved A/C system with temp sensors around the car.
a. Does the A/C really work that much better?
b. Do you prefer the swing A/C vents of the 430 vs. the regular ones in the 400?

Which model has the better Stereo
a. Does one have better Bass over the other?
b. Does one have better Stereo fidelity or Quality over the other?

Which car has the least amount of engine noise coming into the car. (My 98 LS run almost Silent except at Full Throttle)

Which exterior paint resists Paint chips better?

Which interior is holding up better or staying cleaner?
My 98 has 53k and Seriously looks showroom new. I see many 430s on trade in and the leather seems to ware away easily, also the door handles seem to ware. I was at JM Lexus over the weekend and ALL of their 430's had the Leather seats painted to cover excess leather die ware. The older 400 did not seem to need this? Also the door handles looked painted.

Which model has had less Electrical problems?

Which model has had less Mechanical problems?

One last question, Has anyone changed from a regular LS430 to a Ultra LS430? What are your comments on that move?

Any other comments or opinions comparing the two would be highly appreciated.

Just to be fair would you mind telling me how many miles your cars have and How long you have owned them?

Thank you for your time.

Jerry Horta

Last edited by Horta; 08-17-04 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-17-04, 06:03 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Questions Comparing 98-00 LS400 vrs 01-04 LS430

Originally posted by Horta
Hey All

I have been considering upgrading to a 430 and have some questions for any of you who have specifically upgraded from a 98-00 LS400 to a LS430. I have test driven several 430 and they are very nice but a test drive does not compare to owning the car and also have owned the previous model.

Here are some comparison question for you. ( I originally typed these questions to a CL Member who currently owns both a 400 and 430. So those of you who dont still own the 400 please just make comment based on you memory of the older car)

I am making the questions easy to answer. Yes, No type answers but if you wish to elaborate I would love to read your comments.

Is the 430 much quieter down the road?
a. Big diff in city traffic?
b. Big diff at Highway speeds?

Is the 430 much smoother over minor road imperfection? Or just smoother over all?

If you were to close your eyes could you EASILY tell which car your in?
a. Based on Sound (Road Noise or lack of)
b. Based on Ride (Road Vibration or lack of)

b. Do you prefer the swing A/C vents of the 430 vs. the regular ones in the 400?

Which model has the better Stereo
a. Does one have better Bass over the other?
b. Does one have better Stereo fidelity or Quality over the other?

Which car has the least amount of engine noise coming into the car. (My 98 LS run almost Silent except at Full Throttle)

Which exterior paint resists Paint chips better?

Which interior is holding up better or staying cleaner?
My 98 has 53k and Seriously looks showroom new. I see many 430s on trade in and the leather seems to ware away easily, also the door handles seem to ware. I was at JM Lexus over the weekend and ALL of their 430's had the Leather seats painted to cover excess leather die ware. The older 400 did not seem to need this? Also the door handles looked painted.

Which model has had less Electrical problems?

Which model has had less Mechanical problems?

One last question, Has anyone changed from a regular LS430 to a Ultra LS430? What are your comments on that move?

Any other comments or opinions comparing the two would be highly appreciated.

Just to be fair would you mind telling me how many miles your cars have and How long you have owned them?

Thank you for your time.

Jerry Horta
I have had a 99 LS400 and got into a car accident, it was totaled. When I got the money from the insurance.....I got an 01 LS430! Let me tell you....The best thing that happened.....To answer your questions......Yes 430 is quieter (engine noise)...suspension is better....You could tell which car you are in if you had your eyes closed, 430 is much quieter...400 has better stereo...Exterior/interior....too early to tell but i'd guesss the 430...neither with electrical problems....400 had the most mechanical problems(oxygen sensors, etc.)....Depending on the money, to me it's worth getting the 430.....It's a newer body, bigger engine and is just much more up to date than the old generation 400......UPGRADE and STEP UP is my opinion...
Old 08-18-04, 02:55 PM
unrealii
Driver

I'd go with the 430. The seats in the 430 are far better.
Old 08-18-04, 11:20 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up LS400 or LS430

The LS430 is like a late night run to Wendy's after a long nights work or clubing, if you biggie size it, it puts you were you want to be. The LS400 is a large drink and fry with your meal. The LS430 is a Biggie sized fry and drink with your meal. Either are great choices, the other just a little more filling. I say do what you feel, but if it were me with a 1998 LS400 with 53,000 miles on it, I wouldn't switch. I like the older body style more than the change in 2001-2004. Even with the changes made on the 2004 I feel the 1996-2000 LS 400 were the best, and also the years before that, but my favorite years are 1996-2000. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by usermel; 08-18-04 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-19-04, 02:14 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Exclamation I'm a little suprised!!!

Originally posted by playa3uhh
.....400 has better stereo.....
....Could you elaborate?? Are you saying that the NAKAMICHI in the LS 400 was better than the MARK LEVINSON in the LS 430??? ......or are you just comparing the standard "Lexus Premium" factory stereos of one another??

Thanks!
Vic

Last edited by vicpai; 08-19-04 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 07:03 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

usermel

Yeah I am really torn between keeping this Awsome car or upgrading. My car has had a perfect maintenace record and always maintained for every service at Lexus. I could not be in better condition. I would be buying used so i am scared to not find a car as good as mine.

I was hoping by doing this post people might give srong opinions one way or another. So far some good reponsens but not to the detail I was hoping for. Keep it up guys talk to me.

Thanks for your time
Jerry
Old 08-19-04, 08:01 AM
asleep
Rookie

Default Re: Questions Comparing 98-00 LS400 vrs 01-04 LS430

Hey All

Jerry Horta
Those swinging A/C vents were the first thing I disabled in my new LS430...and I live in Houston. I mean seriously, how often/how long do you blast your A/C directly into your face? They're certainly unique, but just a gimmick in my opinion.
Old 08-19-04, 10:27 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

The new A/C system is actually one of the things I am most interested. I live in South Florida and its HOT and Extremely Humid. My car is kept in the garage at home but at work it in the direct Sun. I keep the A/C temp at 74 degrees. The car cools off very quickly but usually in my 30 minute commute I end up turning the center vent away from me cause the direct air freezes me. I was thinking that the swinging vents could be a neat feature so the air doesn't stay on you for that long.

I have asked many time on this forum but no one has ever really responded to my question. The LS430 supposedly has temp sensor thought out the car and will direct AIR accordingly, does this really work?

The other new A/C feature is the Nose or Stick sensor. My 98 has a Exhaust fumes sensor which automatically switched to recirculating air when car fumes are detected and it works really good. The 430 is supposed to block nasty orders. In South Florida the Garbage Dumps are above ground so if you on the highway and drive buy you can smell them from time to time. Also for some reason just about every time I drive to Orlando (about six times a year) We smell dead skunk. Would supposed Stink sensor really block these orders out?

Thanks
Jerry
Old 08-19-04, 11:43 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Jerry... ready for a change? I will wager that you wouldn't be that interested if not for your recent bout with the throttle body.

Actually, I have not yet even ridden in a 430... that said a friend of mine recently bought a 2003. I sat in it and must say the seats are WAY better. So much so that I have been thinking about the possibility of a retrofit. Also heated and COOLED seats were available in the UL package and in 2002 the cooled seats were available as an option in all models. Yes, I have major seat envy

Although power does not go up from 2000 the engine is 1/3 liter bigger and torque is up 20 to 320 lb/ft at a lower 3400rpm (vs 300 at 4000). Peak power is also achieve at a lower rpm, 290 at 5600rpm (vs 290 at 6000). Both make the car stronger. So even though peak power is not increase this is a more powerful engine with a wider power band. Weight is only up 65 pounds.

Front brakes use a better designed monoblock caliper. I did have a problem with the 2 piece caliper on my previous 96 LS400.

Top speed is limited to 131mph vs 149 (2000 and previous vs 2001+ models).

My recommendation? The car gets a major redesign for 2006 (probably as a 2007 model)... but considering how close 2006 is... it may be worth the wait for the depreciation of the current design. I would opt for a 2004 LS430 due to the new 6 speed automatic and other refinements. 0-60mph drops from 6.3 seconds down to 5.9 seconds.

For me... I look around and other than minor stuff I see no need (other than for performance and the afformentioned seats) to change. If a retrofit of a/c LS430 seats is do-able... that may be my choice. Also, for the difference in money I could pick up a used C5 Corvette and not worry about snap!
Old 08-19-04, 12:41 PM
asleep
Rookie

The new A/C system is actually one of the things I am most interested. I live in South Florida and its HOT and Extremely Humid. My car is kept in the garage at home but at work it in the direct Sun. I keep the A/C temp at 74 degrees. The car cools off very quickly but usually in my 30 minute commute I end up turning the center vent away from me cause the direct air freezes me. I was thinking that the swinging vents could be a neat feature so the air doesn't stay on you for that long.

I have asked many time on this forum but no one has ever really responded to my question. The LS430 supposedly has temp sensor thought out the car and will direct AIR accordingly, does this really work?

The other new A/C feature is the Nose or Stick sensor. My 98 has a Exhaust fumes sensor which automatically switched to recirculating air when car fumes are detected and it works really good. The 430 is supposed to block nasty orders. In South Florida the Garbage Dumps are above ground so if you on the highway and drive buy you can smell them from time to time. Also for some reason just about every time I drive to Orlando (about six times a year) We smell dead skunk. Would supposed Stink sensor really block these orders out?

Thanks
Jerry
I'm not sure if that temp sensor that directs air to the warmer side works or not as I have not driven with the sun on one side long enough to know. The separate cooling controls work well, of course.

What really works well are the A/C seats...you can really feel the cool air moving through.

I hadn't even heard of the "stinky" sensor.
Old 08-19-04, 07:27 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeryy,

I'd say keep your LS400! Your car was a unique find, in that it had been babied by its previous elderly owner. In other words, it was like a brand new car. So think of it this way: if you had bought a brand new LS400 back in 1998 (which is pretty much what you got), would you switch it with a used LS430 now? If your answer is a yes, then you might be able to find it in your heart to do the swap; if no, however, then stick with what you got!
Old 08-21-04, 08:35 AM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what are leaning towards, Jerry?

Let us know