LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A couple of GPS 2004 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 08:15 PM
Mandingo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A couple of GPS 2004 questions

The GPS works fine and I have most of the functionality understood now - it took a while since the UI isn't very well organized (it calls the same thing different names for example "My Places" is effectively the same as "Memory") - there are several features that drive me crazy and I wondered if anyone else has worked them out?

If I have found an address and then while I am on en route to that destination I want to check something about the destination - the address, the phone number (to call a restaurant and tell them I'll be late for example), or (more often) add it to my list of stored points so I can find it again easily another time - how do I do that? I have tried to select the destination icon (blob) on the map to see if I can edit it but that doesn't seem to work for routes that aren't already saved as memory points (Catch 22).

Currently I have to go through the entire "Find Destination" process again to get the chance to view the details again.

On my Streetpilot I have the option when I find an address to immediately add it to Waypoints (My Places) - the Lexus system seems to require that you know whether you're going to want to save this place BEFORE you start to search since you come at it from a different start screen ("Menu -> My Places -> Register" instead of "Destination"). Once you have started from the "Destination" screen I cannot find a way to add it to "My Places".

Is there a way?

And why are the My Places icons SO SUCKY? For example there isn't a decent one for a simple small marker - there are big pushpins and so forth but no generic "spot" icon. Plus you can't change font sizes so if you have "Show names" selected there are these giant 12 point fonts across the screen.

They should have spent less time making icons with sounds (??!!??!?) and more time designing some decent basic ones that are usable.

In its defence the navigation is good and the touchscreen makes A HUGE difference in usability - they just needed to user test the UI screen flow more to realize it's way more convoluted than it needs to be.