LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Major Repairs Needed... Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 07:57 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Major Repairs Needed... Help

Well yesterday I walked out of the house and noticed a huge pool underneath my car... BAd news.. Coolant fluid all over the place. Anyways, I took the car into the dealer and it turns out the water pump needs to be replaced as well. That was taken care of.. The dealer says that my front ball joints are completely worn and shold be replaced, as well as the rear bushings. They want 1250 for this job.. Is it worth getting done right away? I'm confused becuase I've read about ball joints being sold on the forum for less than $100.. I'm sure that I'm confusing parts here... Would it be better to buy parts and go somewhere else? I'm driving a 94 LS400 with 147,000 miles. So far I thought it was well maintained.. Any quick advice will be greatly appreciated! The car is already at the dealer getting brakes and other things like that done. I do plan to keep this car till it dies. Hopefully thats at 250,000 miles or even more. Thanks!

- Suneet
Old 08-10-04, 08:25 PM
buttons
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally you don't replace the ball joints or strut rubber until you start hearing noises from those areas. If you don't hear anything or feel anything, then don't replace anything !!!!!
You unusually replace the lower ball joints first before struts or uppers.
Go to www.irontoad.com to get an email price on any OEM part you need.
Just looking at posts here and yon on suspension piece replacements--I would say that if where you has many potholes then you will be much before someone who doesn't. That is north before south.

Also, get prices from Toyota dealers--NOT Lexus dealers--even for oil, filters,etc.
Old 08-10-04, 09:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Where in CA are you located? With as many members we have here, you can get some recco's on shops to perform this work. I'd have them complete the work you have it in for and call around for the suspension stuff.

Depending where you are...in my instance, the Toyota dealerships have declined working on my car.
Old 08-11-04, 09:18 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in San Jose.. Bay Area. The car is at the Stevens Creek Lexus dealership.. its where we bought the car from. Roads are pretty decent here.. not that many major potholes. The car isn't making any noises nor do I feel anything abnormal.. the steering is still responsive and firm, and the car handles, for the most part, the way I remember it did when we bought it. So you're saying to hold off and shop around first? Any other advice? THanks

- Suneet
Old 08-11-04, 10:58 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Suneet
I'm in San Jose.. Bay Area. The car is at the Stevens Creek Lexus dealership.. its where we bought the car from. Roads are pretty decent here.. not that many major potholes. The car isn't making any noises nor do I feel anything abnormal.. the steering is still responsive and firm, and the car handles, for the most part, the way I remember it did when we bought it. So you're saying to hold off and shop around first? Any other advice? THanks

- Suneet
Try Exact Motorsports in Milpitas, i heard nothing but good about them from members in the NorCal forum.