Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Brake light on

Old 08-04-04, 12:28 AM   #1
Charles B.
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Brake light on

The brake light in my instrument cluster stays on. The one that lights up when your e-brake is engaged. I know it also comes on when you're low on brake fluid, but I'm not. Could there be any other reason for this occurence?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Free iPods
Charles B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:31 AM   #2
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb Re: Brake light on

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles B.
The brake light in my instrument cluster stays on. The one that lights up when your e-brake is engaged. I know it also comes on when you're low on brake fluid, but I'm not. Could there be any other reason for this occurence?
Sounds as if your emergency brake cable is sticking, usually it's in the e-brake foot cable mechanism hinge. With the e-brake handle released try pulling the brake pedal up more to see if it's releasing it all the way. If the light goes off you have found the culprit, the entire hinge mechanism needs lubricating.

Let us know if that solves the problem.

"THIS GREAT NATION WILL LEAD THE WORLD AND WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!" --GEORGE W. BUSH
"I SAY TO OUR ENEMIES: WE ARE COMING! GOD MAY HAVE MERCY ON YOU, BUT WE WON'T!"--JOHN McCAIN
"THE PROBLEM WITH LIBERALS IS NOT THAT THEY'RE IGNORANT-IT'S THAT THEY KNOW SO MUCH THAT ISN'T SO!" --RONALD WILSON REAGAN -- MAY HE R.I.P.
SharpLS-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:25 PM   #3
buttons
Driver

Send a message via Yahoo to buttons

spray WD-40 up in there; I do about every 4 months.
NC
buttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 04:03 PM   #4
CUMan
Lead Lap

There is a gas strut in the parking brake assembly. The purpose of this strut is to push the parking brake pedal toward the driver seat when the parking brake is released. Apparently this strut loses its charge over time (the same way the hood struts lose theirs).

Just get into the habit of putting your left foot behind the parking brake pedal and pulling it toward you. Putting oil on the friction points in the assembly also helps - but not for long.
CUMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 06:27 PM   #5
Charles B.
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys. I tried pulling the e-brake pedal up with the e-brake handle released and the light still stays on. Any other suggestions?

Free iPods
Old 08-06-04, 10:53 AM   #6
audphile1
Pole Position

Is it on as soon as you start the car or it goes on when you put your foot on the brake pedal to shift into gear? If it happens after you put your foot on the brake pedal, the brake sensor might be worn out. Also, after releasing the e-brake try to pull the handle few more times with pulling the e-brake pedal up with your foot, in case it is the release mechanism that's sticking.
audphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 10:09 PM   #7
Charles B.
Driver School Candidate

It comes on as soon as i turn on the car. What does it mean in that case?

Free iPods
Old 08-16-04, 11:42 PM   #8
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles B.
It comes on as soon as i turn on the car. What does it mean in that case?
Did you recently have new brake shoes placed on your car?
Whether you did or not, see if your mechanic is able to adjust the emergency brake cable at the rear wheel while the car is on a hydraulic lift.

"THIS GREAT NATION WILL LEAD THE WORLD AND WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!" --GEORGE W. BUSH
"I SAY TO OUR ENEMIES: WE ARE COMING! GOD MAY HAVE MERCY ON YOU, BUT WE WON'T!"--JOHN McCAIN
"THE PROBLEM WITH LIBERALS IS NOT THAT THEY'RE IGNORANT-IT'S THAT THEY KNOW SO MUCH THAT ISN'T SO!" --RONALD WILSON REAGAN -- MAY HE R.I.P.
Old 08-17-04, 07:48 AM   #9
audphile1
Pole Position

Go to the Lexus parts dept and ask them this question. They are usually pretty good with answering questions like this and i think they'll be able to tell you possible reasons as to why this is happenning.
I've been to my local Lexus and they are always helpfull in the parts dept. But the service dept will tell you that they need to look at the car, so go straight to parts and ask them whether or not they can suggest what could be possibly wrong and that you are intending to purchase the replacement part if they can pinpoint what part it is that needs to be replaced.
audphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 03:10 PM   #10
Charles B.
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally posted by SharpLS-96
Did you recently have new brake shoes placed on your car?
Whether you did or not, see if your mechanic is able to adjust the emergency brake cable at the rear wheel while the car is on a hydraulic lift.
I put new brake pads in the front. Does the car have to be on a hydraulic lift to adjust the e-brake cable or can I do it myself?

Free iPods
Old 08-17-04, 07:00 PM   #11
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

You can do it with a jack or by just squeezing under the car if you know what your doing.

Next time you use your E-Brake, put the car in drive (with the e-brake engaged) and slightly step on the gas in order to feel how well it holds the car from launching forward. Curious to know how tight it is and report back.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 08-17-04 at 07:02 PM..
Old 08-17-04, 07:00 PM