LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Incompetent Grease Monkeys

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-04, 07:30 PM
Losiho
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Incompetent Grease Monkeys

In another thread here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=118276 I stated how happy I was with the timing belt service my Lexus dealer had performed and how well the car was running after picking it up on Friday. It seems that 2 days is a long time.

I just drove the car a short distance to fill up with fuel, and when I drove back into my garage, red coolant was spewing out of the bottom of the car and there was a howling noise coming from the engine bay. It's quite obvious the water pump my dealer replaced (supposedly) has failed. Thank god it dropped its guts in the garage and not on the road.

I now have a tow truck coming on Monday morning to tow the car to the dealer ($132, and my dealer will be refunding me, I promise you). Having experienced the arrogance of most dealership service departments, and the way they assume the customer is stupid, I'm sure they'll deny responsibility and say that "anything could be wrong" (yeah right....water pump was replaced, it's making a howling noise under the bonnet and there's coolant everywhere - it must be the battery )

The moral of the story is, be careful who you trust your timing belt change to, because some Lexus dealerships employ people who shouldn't be working on a Corolla, let alone a luxury car.

These jokers have a set of lower front ball joints on order for me. I'm sure the front end will fall out of the car if I let them change it

Last edited by Losiho; 05-22-04 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-22-04, 08:39 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember when you go back to pic it up that the collant light will probally come on again as the collant needs to settle. So have a bottle ready to top it off and don't freak out. Having a new water pump go out is long shot but I guess it can happen. Sure sucks for the mechanic though as he will have to undo everything just to get back to where it is.
Old 05-23-04, 01:10 AM
Losiho
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, after I have calmed down, I inspected the engine bay with a torch.

It's not a faulty water pump, but a coolant hose. The coolant hose at the bottom of the engine, leading into the radiator, has come loose. As soon as the thermostat opens, coolant comes gushing out of the open pipe.

Not as serious as a faulty water pump, but still directly as a result of the service department's mechanics