LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Damn fool scratches my 400...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-04, 11:02 AM
Jollysammy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Damn fool scratches my 400...

I parked at Home Depot in the morning last week. I come back out to my gorgeous black Lexus 400 to find some idiots Sienna van door jammed against my passenger side mirror. No one's around. WTF?

So I check my mirror, yes its scratched, and also my door panels/right fender are scuffed/scratched...

this guy must've kicked his door open, and whether he's in a rush or what, he leaves the car door open...

I then realized he hit my mirror with enough force to move it in, its got those mounts which can have the mirror move back and out of the way.

After 10 minutes, no one shows up, so I began to call my insurance agent on the phone and I'm describing this to him when I spot a guy walking to the parking lot in a way that seems like he's lost...

he finally walks toward me and the cars finally asking,

what's going on here...

I say, you scratched my car with your door...

Immediately he calls me a liar and tries to prove its not his car doing it by moving his door against my mirror...

I say please don't scratch my car more just to demonstrate something you already did...

(I'm even more pissed that he called me a liar...in the old days, that would have meant I could draw down on him)

He's doing all this complaining while my agents listening on the phone.

We exchange insurance info and he's got AAA while I've got State Farm, he doesn't show me his license or give me an address, but I've got his plate and State Farm can pull data from his plate...

My Lexus has a "pearlescent Black" with color specks, expensive paint job...

His Sienna is a mess, dirty, etc.

After leaving and talking to my dad about it, I realize that I wouldn't have known about this but for the fact that the guy left his door wide open...

But then my dad figures that he couldn't shut his door because he didn't know that my mirror could move out of the way(fold back) and he probably tried to shut it but kept scratching my mirror...

He couldn't pull forward because of a concrete barrier...

He was probably hoping I would drive off and he wouldn't have to pay...

I'm so pissed at this point...

I'm going to nail his insurance, I estimate the scratches will cost about $1500 to repair around here, especially since I feel only "Lexus" should do the repair...

To top it off, he parked actually farther away from me than normal, so much that he was out of the parking lane, but that meant his door swing would hit my car only if he flung it wide open, which he did...

I also think he waited longer to come out from Home Depot hoping I would leave, but probably spotted me standing there for 15 minutes...

I would've punched him out about the liar wisecrack but being in Kalifornia, I didn't want to trade my scratch for a lawsuit...

I'm the calm one and he's the hot head, but he's the one that scratches my car? :egads

:

Last edited by Jollysammy; 05-22-04 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-22-04, 12:44 PM
RajaReMax
Driver

First of all Sammy, you did the right thing by not letting looser boy antagonize you into a fist fight & ultimate lawsuit.

Its a shame they let fools like that operate any motor vehicle. It was smart of you to contact your insurance agent, but if you had contacted a police officer, him witnessing the incident might've helped you more in justifying your insurance claim against looser boy's insurance company.

The real question is?
What kind of idiot would knowingly open his car door too far its wedged against another car's mirror, and then proceed to leave his car with the door wide open to go inside and complete his shopping? If the other braincell was working for that guy, he would've at least moved his car to avoid confronting you...

Sorry for your mishap...
Old 05-22-04, 01:06 PM
nk1983
Lead Lap

wow excellent self control on your part
whats ur secret? LOL
if only I had that ability I would get in trubl alot less...just reading your story made me incredibly angry
I dont wanna imagine what would have happened if it actually would have happened to me!!
Old 05-22-04, 01:35 PM
Jollysammy
Driver School Candidate

Default I almost did call the police...

but not because of confronting this jerk...

since no one was around, I began to think this might have been a kidnapping or something,

where the individual was forced into another vehicle...

that would maybe explain the door wide open and no one around...
Old 05-22-04, 05:17 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Hopefully this never happens again but always call the police.....When he didnt show you his drivers license or home address I would have called right away. If he drove off I would said have a nice day and just tell the cops what happen.

Hopefully the insurance info he showed you is good.
Old 05-22-04, 06:58 PM
Jollysammy
Driver School Candidate

yes,

he has AAA,

and they're coming out to photo and measure, because he's claiming that he didn't do it....

I only wish I had my digital camera with me in the car...

from now on, it will be in the glove box always....
Old 05-22-04, 10:00 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont feel bad i got my gs 3 days later i parked out in the boonies of walmart and i come out and a buggy hit my trunk and scratched it and i have the dpw its a 3 stage paint but congrats on your calmness
Old 05-23-04, 02:28 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

same kinda thing just happend to my 400 at work. i just got off work and walked back to mine to see the door of this little white car swung wide open with its door edge jabbin into my front fender. luckily my the damage to mine wasn't as bad as urs. the owner was there too but i didn't do n e thing. the owner was the disturbing looking type. looks like the quiet, talks to himself type of crazy person. in fact he was talking to himself when he got in the car to leave. i got the plate number and am just going to pay my respects later. all i can do cuz my car stands out too much in the parking lot. wouldn't want him coming back for more if u kno what i mean
Old 05-24-04, 12:11 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I woulda just beat the ****** outa him..boxing: i mean, how could he identify you if you give him a good licking:
Old 05-26-04, 06:55 PM
Jollysammy
Driver School Candidate

Default AAA adjuster arrives...

she took pictures...

kinda argued against the door damage, but not the mirror damage...

told her the guy wasn't even around with his door wide open...

they'll get back to me...
Old 06-04-04, 08:48 PM
Jollysammy
Driver School Candidate

Default restitution!

AAA called me today, they've agreed to fix the mirror!

Suddenly my day is vastly improved!
Old 06-04-04, 09:55 PM
BLexACK LS
Lead Lap

what about the door? and was the door his scratch?
Old 06-05-04, 06:16 AM
Jollysammy
Driver School Candidate

they claim the door isn't his scratch, that it was caused by a big purse or something...

its a slight scuff scratch to the clearcoat that goes like a half rainbow arc

its not the big looking thing you see in the center of the picture, thats the reflection of the house off the car...

its the slight scratch on the right going down...

I've been told that can be buffed out...

I'll see what the body shop charges me to take out any other dings to my car around the perimeter...