LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thoughts/review on JIC VIP FLT-A2 coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 01:35 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Thoughts/review on JIC VIP FLT-A2 coilovers...

After riding on JIC SF-1 coilovers with blown dampeners for the past 6 months (long story) and the SF-1's/SA-1's being discontinued for the UCF10, I opted for another option, VIP FLT-A2's.

As soon as I opened the box, I noticed that they were at least twice as nicer in terms of construction/parts as my previous entry level model SF-1's. I had a chance to ride in another member's 1st gen LS with SF-1's in the past, so I already had a good idea when it came to comparing the SF-1's to the VIP FLT-A2's. Thus far, the ride quality of the VIP FLT-A2's seems to be smoother than the SF-1's, but this isn't where it ends. In terms of handling/cornering/body roll, the VIP FLT-A2's have a major advantage over the SF-1's. I was able to take a 40 mph limit freeway interchange ramp going 70 with the peace of mind to take it up a notch, but didn't because I was catching up too quickly with the cars ahead of me.

In conclusion, I'd have to say that these coilovers will definitely satisfy (and then some) the performance oriented enthusiast without sacrificing much of that comfortable quality ride that Lexus is known for.

Huge thanks goes to Bobby at Carson Toyota for handling the order (excellent customer service btw) and for putting up with me , and to Todd at TM Engineering for the installation. I know a couple of you (you know who you are ) questioned why I went to TM Engineering over some local shops who could do the installation for cheaper, but I went with my instinct (and with all the good reviews about Todd) and was more than pleased with the choice I made, as I have said before. What would've taken nearly 6-7 hours to install SF-1/SA-1's at those types of shops (I was there! ) took Todd only 2 hours to install (remove old coilovers, take out back seat, and install new ones) and another 2 1/2 hours to completely adjust the height properly...and that was only due to it being a first time experience for him in installing VIP FLT-A2's. He figured out how to properly setup the height by changing the 2 adjustment points on each coilover in a matter of no time, and refused to let me drive home (while working overtime) 'til everything was perfected. All I can say is that he's just a stand up guy and I couldn't have been any happier about my experience with TM Engineering...there's no BS when it comes to all the positive feedback that Todd has received.

Last edited by EXE.UCF10; 05-24-06 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 07:34 AM
Lvangundy

I mean, hope you're having fun!

Last edited by Lvangundy; 05-22-04 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 11:51 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds good Brian. Car looks better too.
Old 05-19-04, 01:22 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet! I want a ride in it. How hard/soft are your settings?
Old 05-19-04, 01:47 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Originally posted by meZoom!
Sounds good Brian. Car looks better too.
Actually, it's a 'lil higher than before, so it doesn't look as good to me right now...but that'll all change.

Originally posted by retrodrive
Sweet! I want a ride in it. How hard/soft are your settings?
In due time Pete. I set the front at 5 and the rears at 4 for now...still have some playing around to do with the settings.
Old 05-19-04, 06:51 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Second set of coilover and still no wheels???
I thought about the FLT but seems like it's too harsh........still deciding between TEIN CS, FLEX or FLT-A2.

BTW.......do u get camber adjustment on FLT?
Old 05-19-04, 07:02 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
Second set of coilover and still no wheels???
I thought about the FLT but seems like it's too harsh........still deciding between TEIN CS, FLEX or FLT-A2.

BTW.......do u get camber adjustment on FLT?
I was planning on getting wheels the day after I had my coilovers installed, but it couldn't go through.
New wheels will be coming sooner or later...it's just a matter of time.

Tein doesn't make applications for our cars anymore, unless you're talking about your GS.
Old 05-19-04, 07:26 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These sure do sound good but theyre in excess of $1500 I guess I'll just have to get some cheapo brand.
Old 05-21-04, 10:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice...looking forward to seeing the car.
The more you guys talk about these things, it makes me more prone to wanting them.

With the Eibach's, the right rear sits higher...it isn't readily noticable, but that slight difference bugs me. With adjustables, I could dial it in.
Old 05-24-04, 11:02 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by RA40
Nice...looking forward to seeing the car.
The more you guys talk about these things, it makes me more prone to wanting them.

With the Eibach's, the right rear sits higher...it isn't readily noticable, but that slight difference bugs me. With adjustables, I could dial it in.
RA40, lower you rear snap ring and the car will set perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a one finger gap on mine all the way around !!!
Also do my swaybar bushing conversion and that car will handle Great.

Last edited by Lexkost; 05-24-04 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-24-04, 11:47 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lexkost
RA40, lower you rear snap ring and the car will set perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a one finger gap on mine all the way around !!!
Also do my swaybar bushing conversion and that car will handle Great.
How you do that? I have that funny looking crooked look with my Eibachs too. Can't stand it.
Old 05-24-04, 02:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Mike,

I'm not sure that even on the lower setting the car will be even side to side. On another forum, I had asked for various measurments and the North American Toyotas of that particular model/generation, all sat higher at the right rear. You are smiled upon by the Lexus God with an even stance.

I think that the battery tweaks ride height since that is about 45#'s in that corner. When you had your rear snap ring at the high setting, how was the evenness?

Last edited by RA40; 05-24-04 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 05:31 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think a battery will change the ride height, I have almost 200 pounds of equipment in my trunk and my ride height is the same
Old 06-14-04, 08:36 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! I knew you were getting new coilovers, but I didn't know when. I just found out right now.
Old 06-17-04, 04:46 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Originally posted by LexAristo
WOW! I knew you were getting new coilovers, but I didn't know when. I just found out right now.
::sigh::

Last edited by BR1AN; 06-17-04 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts/review on JIC VIP FLT-A2 coilovers...