LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Which would you take?
1990 Lexus LS400
39.71%
2001 Lexus IS300(auto)
60.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Would you trade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 04:28 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you trade?

I am being given the option to trade my 1990 LS400 for a 2001 IS300. I'm not sure why I'm having trouble with this, after all the IS is 11 years newer, but I really don't want to give up my baby! I have about 160k miles, the IS has about 40k miles, and this trade will basically cost me nothing. I've done most of the major work needed on the LS, so it should last for a long time. True, the IS is a 5spd auto, but 215 hp just doesn't cut if for me. I know the LS only has 250, but the torque is a lot of fun, not to mention those tiny 205 tires are easy to roast. I'm not really sure if the IS is even faster, as I think it is supposed to be, but when I drive it I feel like crying from the lack of power. Keep in mind that modding is not an option(for my scenario) . . . this is in no way, me bashing the IS, it is a great car and handles like a gem. But I love my LS and I love my V8. What do you guys think?

Last edited by dj.ctwatt; 05-11-04 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 05:40 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

dang man, what are you doing. Yer leaping from one side of the lexus pool to the other, skipping everything in the process.

I would keep the LS you have, and possibly look into a future trade toward an 01 LS430.
Old 05-11-04, 05:44 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Just curious as to how you can trade it in at the same price? If you're getting a steal for the IS i think you should buy the IS, keep you LS, and just sell the IS and make some money off it.
Old 05-11-04, 05:48 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I'm with you, but I feel that I am crazy for thinking so. I'm sure a lot if IS300 fans will think I'm crazy too with my "boat." But they are both great cars, without a question. I just get nervous at times, being that my LS is nearing its 15th birthday. A 99 LS400 might come into the picture, but that won't be for another year or so. . . so it's not an option right now.

Last edited by dj.ctwatt; 05-11-04 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 05:50 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I know it sounds whacky, but just don't ask. I can only get one or the other. There is no cost to this transaction.
Old 05-11-04, 05:55 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

trade, because i had the LS and they become bulkey after a while get the IS it is very zippy in traffic and lots of fun to drive, also a little better on gas too !!!
Old 05-11-04, 06:04 PM
nk1983
Lead Lap

trade it! thats one hell of an even trade ...
Old 05-11-04, 06:13 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Well if you can only trade... its entirely up to you. I never want to sell my LS because I have alot of good memories in there. Well good and bad. Bad would be all the times I got pulled over but I always had good excuses so I got off. For me, the LS was my first car and thats why its so hard to trade it in. But if you have no emotional attachment... GET THE IS300!!!
Old 05-11-04, 08:12 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Don't forget to vote!
Old 05-11-04, 08:37 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would trade.. wow my first post.. you should consider yourself lucky
Old 05-11-04, 11:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You have posted enough doubts...to answer your question.
IMO, when the right car comes your way, it is a no-brainer.

Let me ask this...what did you have planned as your next car?
Old 05-12-04, 12:50 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

my decision is so up in the air! hahaha, I think I will let the ClubLexus poll decide. The LS is soo comfy, with the huge rear seat. . . I have too much fun back there. I love the V8, and I love the sound and feel of it. The LS also looks timeless and is often mistaken as a 96 or newer, and it has that real refined look to it.
Then again the IS is much newer, but a completely different beast in every respect. Lighter and more agile, that thing zips, not to mention braking is night and day from the 1990's extremely outdated and underperforming brakes. It also looks more youthful and more aggresive, giving up some of that refined look. Personally I think the IS looks and feels cheaper, but I got a lot of flaming retaliation from the IS forum. . . after all it's just an opinion. I also lose the power auto tilting steering wheel. . . The IS also feels a lot slower to me, but I think the number show that they are very close. The IS absolutely will kill my LS in maintainence though. . . it won't need any serious work for a very long time. Oh yeah, the IS has REAL HID's too! If the IS I'm about to acquire were manual, the decision would be easy, but right now I'm having a tough time. I think I'm leaning towards the IS, but we'll see. Please help me out and vote guys!
Old 05-12-04, 11:03 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
my decision is so up in the air! hahaha, I think I will let the ClubLexus poll decide. The LS is soo comfy, with the huge rear seat. . . I have too much fun back there. I love the V8, and I love the sound and feel of it. The LS also looks timeless and is often mistaken as a 96 or newer, and it has that real refined look to it.
Then again the IS is much newer, but a completely different beast in every respect. Lighter and more agile, that thing zips, not to mention braking is night and day from the 1990's extremely outdated and underperforming brakes. It also looks more youthful and more aggresive, giving up some of that refined look. Personally I think the IS looks and feels cheaper, but I got a lot of flaming retaliation from the IS forum. . . after all it's just an opinion. I also lose the power auto tilting steering wheel. . . The IS also feels a lot slower to me, but I think the number show that they are very close. The IS absolutely will kill my LS in maintainence though. . . it won't need any serious work for a very long time. Oh yeah, the IS has REAL HID's too! If the IS I'm about to acquire were manual, the decision would be easy, but right now I'm having a tough time. I think I'm leaning towards the IS, but we'll see. Please help me out and vote guys!
You know you want it
Old 05-12-04, 02:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

My thoughts...

For me, the LS offers the comfort for long drives and has enough trunk capacity to carry a 30" and 24" suitcase, my camera equipment, wife's cosmetic case and a fair amount "stuff" picked up along the way. (It will carry 2-30" but I don't have two.) Ride quality, the LS all the way. Not to mention 2-3 adults can sit in back with good comfort.

Brakes easily updated with the Supra. HID, not a major issue unless driving in the boonies of the state at night.

Maintenance...the inline 6 that Toyota makes is near bomb proof except in certain cases. I have considered an IS for an around town car but a run to Costco to pick up a bulk of toliet paper about uses the trunk IMO...and you know a shopping trip to Costco you need a Ford Expedition.

Have your compression checked along with an oil analysis. If that comes back clean, I'd keep the LS. If compression is dropping, get the IS.
Old 05-12-04, 04:05 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Wow, that was a great reply! I might just do that!

Quick Reply: Would you trade?