LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Which would you take?
1990 Lexus LS400
39.71%
2001 Lexus IS300(auto)
60.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Would you trade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 10:58 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reggiek, sent you a pm
Old 05-19-04, 10:43 AM
Milla...

Alright buddy here it is plain and simple. You love your Lexus but your starting not to trust it? right, its getting old. The IS makes sense its new etc etc but its a step down from what your use to. You have placed youself in a balanced delima which means either way you go its of no consequence, in your mind, (I base that comment off your expressions) so do this, base you decision off of facts, pros and cons leave the emotions out of it its only a car not your house dog. Weigh the facts against each other and make the obvious choice and be done with it. The decision is yours not ours so I personally will not tell you what car to go with. I run a business that pays all my bills so my approach may be a bit streamlined and some what coarse but this is how the job gets done, you have to execute and not ***** foot when the facts are obvious otherwise you'll never get ahead. Unless heads or tails really doesn't matter.

NOTE: Please do not take this as a knock against your intelligence or level of maturity, thats not my intent.
Old 05-19-04, 07:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default wow

Originally posted by Milla...
Alright buddy here it is plain and simple. You love your Lexus but your starting not to trust it? right, its getting old. The IS makes sense its new etc etc but its a step down from what your use to. You have placed youself in a balanced delima which means either way you go its of no consequence, in your mind, (I base that comment off your expressions) so do this, base you decision off of facts, pros and cons leave the emotions out of it its only a car not your house dog. Weigh the facts against each other and make the obvious choice and be done with it. The decision is yours not ours so I personally will not tell you what car to go with. I run a business that pays all my bills so my approach may be a bit streamlined and some what coarse but this is how the job gets done, you have to execute and not ***** foot when the facts are obvious otherwise you'll never get ahead. Unless heads or tails really doesn't matter.

NOTE: Please do not take this as a knock against your intelligence or level of maturity, thats not my intent.
Geez, where were you when I was single? Sounds like my type of girl...logical, intelligent and independant. Oh well, that's how it goes.
Old 05-19-04, 09:18 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Milla...
Unless heads or tails really doesn't matter.
That's more or less how it was, but after getting feedback from CL and more information, I've made up my mind to dump the 90. But again, my indecision from before isn't all that unwarranted, and in fact a lot of people have preferred the LS over the IS3. You see I whole heartedly agree that you "can't ***** foot" in business, as I too am a businessman. But this is an information forum, not a sales lot. There is a difference between informed decision making and blunt, ignorant decisions. I'm a businessman, not a politician. Business is about making the right decisions, not the fast ones. You don't see Bentley dealers in the middle of a ghetto for a reason. . . they take time to think about their dealership investments. Back to the topic. . . you can call me old school, but there really is "no replacement for displacement." That and the LS is exceptional in every way except its age. It all falls into that "if it ain't broke don't fix [trade] it" idealogy. This is an exaggeration, but what if you were an owner or an old Datsun 240Z in perfect condition, looking gorgeous and running smooth and fast. Now imagine you could trade for no cost the 240Z for a brand spankin new Toyota Corolla. Whoopdy friggidy doo it's a new car. Coming from the LS family, I feel as if I'm jumping into a Corolla, but the IS isn't really as bad as I'm making it out to be. . . you see first gen LS owners may have old cars, but they sure do feel like a 95 or newer. But, as I stated very clearly before and many a time, my better senses have got the best of me, and I will trade. Even though the car feels new, it's not. I'd be stupid not to trade.

Perhaps this is a good time to close this thread? I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I think this subject has been beaten to death and I've made up my mind.

Thank You

Last edited by dj.ctwatt; 05-19-04 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-20-04, 07:40 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The way I read your post, it seems you just need affirmation on what you want to do which is keep the LS 400.
Old 05-20-04, 11:53 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

at first I was leaning that way. . . but I've changed sides for obvious reasons. I'm set where I am now, but thanks to input I have been looking at possible trades for the IS, or even trading back for a newer LS. I'm just not anxious to get rid of the LS, but I'd be stupid not to. A hard decision is a hard decision.
Old 05-21-04, 12:10 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad you made your decision. It is easy to develop an attachment to a car as it is symbolic of many things. Your hesitation is understandable, for any of us standing outside, it is easy to suggest a course of action. In the end, you will have to be happy and sometimes, there are compromises. Enjoy.
Old 06-22-04, 05:55 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Man this is an ancient thread, and apparently people are still voting. . . can a mod please lock the thread or delete it please?
Old 08-06-04, 08:05 AM
MY GS300
Lexus Test Driver

I am glad you decided to keep your LS.

I used to own a 2002 IS200 and 2003 IS300. The IS does not have the quality handling and smooth ride of that of an LS.

-Donald
Old 08-11-04, 07:32 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Well, I have a 1990 and I would trade in a flash. My car now has 232K and still runs like new, but it is starting to need some small things (but not so cheap)- such as A/C evaporator, front struts/bushings- which could cost me over $1300. If my LS400 had the same mileage as the 01 IS you mentioned, I would not, but since the IS is much newer and probably not needing anything now, I would probably trade and drive it a while and then get another LS. Also- the book value on the 01' IS, is much higher than a 90' LS. The KBB trade-in on my 90 is a lousy $2000 and the PP value is $3800- which I would accept. So, basically, I would not trade because I like the IS better, but simply because the book value is higher and you may be able to sell it for more than your LS400- or at least I could sell if for more than my LS. Good luck.
Old 11-15-04, 01:17 PM
wolver1ne
Driver School Candidate

Angry Trade??????

NEVER........Unless it's another LS400 and even still I'd just Buy it to have 2!
Old 11-20-04, 11:24 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I trade my 2 sc400 for a 01 ls430 ultra for me and a is300 for me wife. I love sc400s and would like to get it back once more but for the time being I am enjoyed both of my new rides. It is perfect to have ls430 and is300 at the same time. Sporty and pure luxury/
Old 12-07-04, 06:06 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

He's already made a decision by now... he bought a Scion if I'm not mistaken. I think this thread should be closed...
Old 12-07-04, 06:34 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Yes. . . I decided against both cars, as the price of gas is getting out of hand. . . still being a student, I figured that I would rather have the freedom to drive as I pleased, rather than being limited by the funds available for gas/travel. Lexus are undoubtedly cooler cars, but I'd rather do things than have them. . . plus I'm investing the money (or value of the car thereof) by financing a new vehicle (3.5%), and investing the money I would have spent (currently earning approximately 8.7% on my investments). I plan on buying an LS430 Ultra Luxury one day (or a comparable car at that time) so I will have to be a cheap bastard for the ime being.

The Scion xA is great. . . and I get a lot of attention in it (which is odd, and a nice perk). Not that I disliked my LS400, but man the xA is a blast to drive. The best thing is that I never ever ever worry about gas, or how much it will cost. This thing may not be a tire scorcher (0-60 in 8.8), but it is a head turner and is a lot of fun. . . and best of all I am making money in this transaction.

Another unexpected benefit, is that the car has gained value since I bought it (being on of few manuals). The car is nearly 1k over the price of a new xA, according to the blue book value. I will have $30-40k to spend on a new car in about 3 years, assuming I can continue to grow my money.
Old 12-07-04, 06:35 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

and yes, I wish this thread would close. . . I requested so earlier to no avail. . .

Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Would you trade?