Originally posted by tvd51
I think you're right, SharpLS-96. It's probably moldy water from AC, and it's green. I always leave the vents open but when I first start the car I smell moldy air coming from the vents for couple of minutes. Is there any easy way to get rid of that ?
The smell is there most likely because the AC system is run on recirculation often which creates a mildew smell because there is no fresh air to rid the moisture. The smell is from mold spores that accumulate in the evaporator core housing which is a sealed unit where little or no light enters. It is extremely damp inside, and thus is a perfect environment for mold spores to grow and thrive.
Run the blower high at full heat. After 15 minutes, spray a strong disinfectant like Lysol into the vent/grill at the base of the windshield on the passenger side (outside), using half of the can. Let the blower run for two more minutes and then shut it off. Let it stand for 20 minutes. This should kill the mold and eliminate the smell.
If that doesn't work you could also try a chemical such as this.