LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I keep popping fuses!!?? (97 LS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 01:03 AM
Bj(CA)
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what the ****!!!! i keep popping fuses!!??

ok, i get out of my car(97 ls coach) and turn on press the lock on the key fob, no workie. so then i hit the power lock switch, no workie, so i tried to lock with key, no workie, only the drive side locked, so i went to work. after work, i noticed my power mirrors and seat memory no workie too, so i said ahh haa!! it must be a fuse. i looked, but couldn't find the right one. checked the all and it happened to be the "sec horn" fuse that controlled all of that. kool so popped in the spare 7.5 then i adjusted my side mirrors and it stopped , ****, fuse blew again, so i took the spare from the highlander, and again it blew. now what the hell is causing this? i have no extra 12 goodies installed on the car. i didi notice that i had the ac on full blast, but why would a lex pop a fuse at full blast ac, while adjusting the mirrors!!??? sorry for ranting and grammar, just need to vent and need some help.

ps- can i step up the fuse to a 10 amp??

thanks
bj
Old 05-04-04, 09:00 AM
Bj(CA)
Driver

umm any advice before i leave for work?
Old 05-04-04, 04:38 PM
Strida
Rookie

Are you sure its a 7.5 fuse? And one fuse controls the mirrors, memory seat and door locks? Im not yet familiar with the LS but I'll check my fuses tomorrow. Its kinda odd that only one fuse controls all of that.
Old 05-04-04, 09:40 PM
Bj(CA)
Driver

thanks dude, yea, also controls clock, and the power steering adjustments, yea make no sense to me, allll that on one 7.5 fuse!!?? i mean i had no problems until now.

thanks
bj
Old 05-05-04, 12:06 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Door lock is by itself 20amp fuse.
Power Seat are on a ECU-IG 15amp.
SEC. Horn is the theft system and on a 7.5amp fuse

Doe not up fuses find the problem !!
Old 05-05-04, 07:47 PM
Bj(CA)
Driver

Originally posted by Lexkost
Door lock is by itself 20amp fuse.
Power Seat are on a ECU-IG 15amp.
SEC. Horn is the theft system and on a 7.5amp fuse

Doe not up fuses find the problem !!
hey bro, it happened again this morning!! blew two fuses back to back, but this time i had the ac off!! now it only pops when i adjust my mirrors!!! and again, it just blows the "sec horn" and when blown, the doorlocks, powermirrors, clock, power steering adjustaments do not work and also the memory seats clears its "memory" . unfortunatly i did up the fuse to 10amp just ot make it work, i now have my mirrors adjusted and going to re install the 7.5 fuse. what can be causing this?? is there a self test i can do??

thanks
bj
Old 05-05-04, 08:24 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Which mirror did you try to move Right of Left when fuse blew ? If fuse blows when trying to move either mirrors may be mirror switch bad? If fuse blows only on one mirror maybe a short that mirror.

.......But seeing other things are also blowing fuses , I would look under dash by mirror switch and you may find other things bad.........................Has this car ever been stolen ?
Old 05-05-04, 10:03 PM
Bj(CA)
Driver

Originally posted by Lexkost
Which mirror did you try to move Right of Left when fuse blew ? If fuse blows when trying to move either mirrors may be mirror switch bad? If fuse blows only on one mirror maybe a short that mirror.

.......But seeing other things are also blowing fuses , I would look under dash by mirror switch and you may find other things bad.........................Has this car ever been stolen ?
hey, umm good q-tion i think it was the driver side, mirror?? i dont think the car was stolen before, plus it came neg. under carfax report. i thought trasponder ked cars are very hard to steal??anhwho, iam really not good at diagnosing stuff like that, iam a "dash/clip breaker", verry impatient. on the other hand my buddy who is a mecp cerftifeid installer would know how to find the problem, but he;s in nj ans me in cali

ps- i appreiciae you responses to my post

bj
Old 05-06-04, 01:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Let us know what it turns out to be. The multiplex communication system is complex and most testing procedures involve checking voltage at the possibly offending connector. The Lexus dealer will have a diagnositc for this so this may be the fastest way to get this taken care of.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-04, 06:07 PM
stelios
Rookie

make sure you have the right fuse in if that does not work it might be a short somewhere