LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is it possible to fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 04:17 PM
Vik
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it possible to fit ?

Is it possible to fit 98-00 steering wheel to 95-97 model properly ?
I know there are some issues with it. Can anyone please explain what is exactly the problem ?
Airbag ? Connectors ? Something else ?

PS:
I just want a wood/leather wheel.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Vik; 04-27-04 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 04:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Do you expect the airbag to work? I don't think it ever would without some significant work....

I suspect there are components in the ECU that will be different, sensors all over the car to detect impact, lighting, etc that may not match up. Plus it probably would be a risky proposition as it would never have been tested for correct angle when it inflates.

Do you just want a wood wheel?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-27-04 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 04:32 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Is it possible to fit ?

Originally posted by Vik
Is it possible to fit 98-00 steering wheel to 95-97 model properly ?
I know there are some issues with it. Can anyone please explain what is exactly the problem ?
Airbag ? Connectors ? Something else ?

Thank you in advance.
Are you doing it just to get the wood............after awhile the wood wheels look bad ( not good)

As for the fit , the newer car has more controls on them , but the splines on the columns should be the same.
Old 04-27-04, 05:17 PM
Vik
Driver

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Do you expect the airbag to work? I don't think it ever would without some significant work....

I suspect there are components in the ECU that will be different, sensors all over the car to detect impact, lighting, etc that may not match up. Plus it probably would be a risky proposition as it would never have been tested for correct angle when it inflates.

Do you just want a wood wheel?
Yes. I want wood wheel but could not find any for 95-97 2-nd gen

2 Lexkost:
I think with proper care wood wheel will look very good even after few years. I use Mcquires products to remove scratches from wood parts - works very well.
Old 04-27-04, 07:56 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Vik
Yes. I want wood wheel but could not find any for 95-97 2-nd gen

2 Lexkost:
I think with proper care wood wheel will look very good even after few years. I use Mcquires products to remove scratches from wood parts - works very well.
I have seen how beat-up they get from peoples rings,.....just some info

Go on ebay and find one ,install it and if you can't do it resell it and you won't be out any money.....Good Luck.................Mike
Old 04-27-04, 08:00 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

You can do what I did................

It took me a while to find a steering wheel for my car USED. After I did at a good price I was still able to get in the CL group buy w/ american stitches. I send them a wood piece and they matched it perfectly......... The bad thing for me (hope this doesnt happen to any one else) is they didnt do the leather color like it was they changed it. Overall it looks great.

The company has not emailed me back in over a month and a half on why they messed up so they could fix it. Its now at a japanese company getting my leather to match. So the money I saved Is now being spent

I think this is the best way to have wood/leather steering wheel as long as they do it right the 1st time. Hope this helps.

I have see some of my friends cars that have leather/wood steering. The leather seems to fade faster then the wood does.
Old 04-27-04, 08:06 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

I thought that American Stitches was a high dollar and high qualitily company ?...Thanks for the info and sorry about your mishap............Mike
Old 04-27-04, 08:52 PM
Vik
Driver

Originally posted by {-.-}
You can do what I did................
That is exactly what I'm going to do !
But first I need to know for sure that wooden wheel from 98-00 doesn't fit to older model.
If it can be fitted easily and without buying new airbag or something else.

I got quote from stitches already and it's actually not expensive ($380 USD). The only problem - they don't have 95-97 steering wheel core so I have to get used one somewhere.
Old 04-28-04, 12:55 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Vik
That is exactly what I'm going to do !
But first I need to know for sure that wooden wheel from 98-00 doesn't fit to older model.
If it can be fitted easily and without buying new airbag or something else.

I got quote from stitches already and it's actually not expensive ($380 USD). The only problem - they don't have 95-97 steering wheel core so I have to get used one somewhere.
Wouldnt it be easier just to get one like you have now and get that done........ it will look almost as good as the newer model and you dont have to worry if it will fit.

I think the price is good considering how expensive parts / mods are. Yes thats correct they dont have steering wheels (core) to replace yours. I like the look makes the car look stock inside but more stylish.
No one will know once I put my steering wheel back on that I had it done unless they have a car like mine.
Old 04-29-04, 04:07 PM
Vik
Driver

Originally posted by {-.-}
Wouldnt it be easier just to get one like you have now and get that done........ it will look almost as good as the newer model and you dont have to worry if it will fit.
That's a tricky part. I'm already looking for spare core but no luck so far. Chances to find used core in Australia close to nothing