LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

swapping headlight assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 01:35 AM
bigjrocc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping headlight assemblies

i have a question to any one who can answer this how hard if it can be done at all is it to install the headlight assembly from a 1995 ls 400 on to a 1991 can it be done if so can someone give me a little insight on it if possible thank you
Old 04-21-04, 02:46 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't be done, completely two different headlight assemblies in terms of size and shape.
Old 04-21-04, 10:21 AM
RedAE102
Driver School Candidate

Well assuming you're doing it for the poor light output of the 9004 headlights, if I'm not mistaken, '93-'94 LS400s had the infinitely better H4 (9003) headlight system, while the '90-'92 had the ****-poor 9004 system. The '93-'94 headlights should be an easy upgrade with the right harnesses (available at any auto parts store. You can also get upgrade harnesses and run higher wattage bulbs.... The '90-'94 models had glass headlamp assemblies too, right?

That said, the '95-'97 LS400's headlights are among the best standard halogen headlights I've seen (excluding the excellent H7 systems). The dipped beam pattern is just right, with ample foreground illumination and very long throw, along with a well defined cutoff that reduces glare to oncoming drivers. When the main beams are switched on, it looks like day, thanks in part to no less than four high beam bulbs (high beam filaments on the H4s, plus the 9005s). That said, the foglights integrated into the headlights are rubbish in the fog...

Last edited by RedAE102; 04-21-04 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-21-04, 07:18 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I tend to doubt that the 95-97 headlight assemblies could be made to fit your 91 LS without extensive bodywork. Many years ago, I looked into switching my previous 90 LS to using headlights from a 93-94 LS but was told that I would also need to replace the backing assembly, fog lights and side marker lights. At the time, I could not locate used parts and found that using all new parts was going to cost around $2,000. So I gave up on that idea and survived another 10 years with the 9004 lights. I ended up trying lots of bulbs trying to improve the light output. The higher wattage bulbs were a disaster - they exploded and caused a mess that was hard to clean out. The best bulb I found was the GE 9004HO which used a halogen/Xenon gas mix and came in an inexpensive two-pack. It was a clear bulb - not one of those blue coated bulbs like the ones kids use on their Hondas. But I have not seen the GE bulbs in the stores recently. The real problem is the pathetic "blob" beam pattern in the lens of the 90-92 LS headlights.
Old 04-21-04, 09:11 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I was actually thinking about doing an H4 harness upgrade, but I've heard that the headlight assembly itself is different and that the beam would be different. I'm not sure if the beam would necessarily produce more glare, maybe just less evenly spread or something. I want to know if anybody has tried it. I might just experiment and see what happens, especially with nice high wattage bulbs. Bad part, if it sucks I can't return the parts/bulbs.
Old 04-22-04, 10:33 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
I was actually thinking about doing an H4 harness upgrade, but I've heard that the headlight assembly itself is different and that the beam would be different. I'm not sure if the beam would necessarily produce more glare, maybe just less evenly spread or something. I want to know if anybody has tried it. I might just experiment and see what happens, especially with nice high wattage bulbs. Bad part, if it sucks I can't return the parts/bulbs.
dj.ctwatt, I have my old H4 bulbs ,I can send them to you free, but the easy way is just to get some non-DOT bulbs in a higer wattage.
Old 05-16-04, 06:12 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Kansas
I tend to doubt that the 95-97 headlight assemblies could be made to fit your 91 LS without extensive bodywork. Many years ago, I looked into switching my previous 90 LS to using headlights from a 93-94 LS but was told that I would also need to replace the backing assembly, fog lights and side marker lights. At the time, I could not locate used parts and found that using all new parts was going to cost around $2,000. So I gave up on that idea and survived another 10 years with the 9004 lights. I ended up trying lots of bulbs trying to improve the light output. The higher wattage bulbs were a disaster - they exploded and caused a mess that was hard to clean out. The best bulb I found was the GE 9004HO which used a halogen/Xenon gas mix and came in an inexpensive two-pack. It was a clear bulb - not one of those blue coated bulbs like the ones kids use on their Hondas. But I have not seen the GE bulbs in the stores recently. The real problem is the pathetic "blob" beam pattern in the lens of the 90-92 LS headlights.
I recently switched to JDM spec headlights (1 piece headlights/fogs) that use the H4 application on my '91.

I'm pretty sure you that you don't need to replace the side marker lights. However you will need to replace the backing assembly and the whole housing itself, so you might as well just try looking for a whole headlight assembly (headlight + fogs) in a junkyard or something. After the 9004 to H4 conversion, the "blob" beam pattern that you speak of is gone...resulting in a more evenly spread and wider beam pattern...I'm very pleased with the results.

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
Yes, the headlight assembly is different for the 9004 and H4 (as well as the bulb specs...H4's are shorter than 9004's). Before I opted to buy another pair of H4 HID bulbs for my JDM spec headlights, I tried fitting 9004's into the H4 housing. There wasn't any problems of the fitting the 9004 in the H4 housing, but after I turned on the lights, that was a whole different story. The result was just a bunch of glare and basically no light that was thrown onto the floor. I'm sure it would result in a similar case if you tried using an H4 bulb in a 9004 housing, save your money and do it right.
Old 05-18-04, 06:49 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BR1AN
I recently switched to JDM spec headlights (1 piece headlights/fogs) that use the H4 application on my '91.
I would like to see that I bet it looks nice.....
Old 05-18-04, 10:37 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by {-.-}
I would like to see that I bet it looks nice.....
Hey Robert, didn't you check out the Lexkost BBQ meet pics? I had them on my car at the time, but without HID bulbs.
Old 05-18-04, 04:04 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BR1AN
Hey Robert, didn't you check out the Lexkost BBQ meet pics? I had them on my car at the time, but without HID bulbs.
I know you sent me links to pics but I didnt look at them ........ after I closed out MSN those links went bye bye. Thats okay you have my email address so what you waiting for send me a picture.