LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Center Wood Consel

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 03:50 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Center Wood Console

I have fine scratches (like hundreds) in my center wood console (around shifter). and like to know if anyone here tried to polish these out? i just ordered a polish kit for plastic from Janvil and i'm in the process of trying to hand polish these scratches out but they are still in there. i'm thinking of getting a power buffer-polisher and try that on low speed. if that does not work i'm thinking of wet sanding with 2000 or 2500 paper or higher. then try to buff out to a high shine. did anyone ever try this? i was at first just going to get a new one from the dealer but after he told me the price would be well over $500.00 which is insane, i think i have to or could come up with a lot cheaper way to bring this console cover back to the original shine. Oh i was thinking also can this be sanded and then clear coated with something that would work and not come off in a few months. I have a feeling that this project i am doing is shared by other members here and would like to know what can be done. NEO GEO

Last edited by NEO GEO; 04-18-04 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 08:40 PM
jtparkes
Rookie

Let us know how it turns out.

Does anyone know what the finish is? Is it polyurethane? When refreshing wood floors covered with polyurethane, I know they lightly sand and add another layer of the same polyurethane.

I would think the best place for guidance would be a reputable antique furniture restorer.

Jeff
Old 04-19-04, 01:28 AM
Higuma
Driver

Default Meguiar's ????

Perhaps try the Meguiar's line of Plastic polishes and cleaners... Works wonders on lexan and face shields as well as instrument cluster panels....

Here's the url...

http://www.meguiars.com/product_show...cfm?SrcLine=CP

Cheers,
Old 04-19-04, 08:05 AM
NEO GEO
Driver

This scratch remover i purchased is supposed to get these scratches out and is made for plastic. the place i got it from said that they had quite a few car buff's using it for the same purpose. i know the console cover is not wood and has a thick layer of clear over it. so i don't know if i sand it with super high wet sandpaper will work! but i have a feeling it will. i just think i'll have to do it with a electric polisher and not by hand. as far as the finish goes i really don't know but it's hard and not soft like those kits you buy when you want to upgrade the wood. oh as far as plexus and Meguiar's i was going to try them but i fround this brand doing a search for plastic polishes. NEO GEO
Old 04-19-04, 05:25 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Thumbs up

Ok here goes, i just finished the center console and let me tell you it looks fantastic. first i used the 3 part plastic cleaning system from Janvil. like i posted before don't waste your time doing this by hand you won't get anywhere. i did not wet sand but now i think maybe i should of, it would of taken less time. i started with the heavy -cut till i polished out all the deep scratches, then i went to the light-cut to finish all that was left. washed the piece with warm soapywater, then hit it with the final stage called Plastic shine. this i did on a variable speed drill press with a wool bonnet and a rubber back mandrel about 6"or 7" Dia. you could use a electric hand drill but the drill-press is the ticket. i started out on the lowest speed around 350 RPM to do the deep cuts then went up to 600 to750 RPM for the Med. cut and then went to about 1000 to 1200 for the final buff with the Plastic Shine. any questions that i could answer i would be glad to. sorry i don't have any pic's but beleive me this is one awesome looking piece, the shine is just like brand spanking New, and i save all that coin. NEO GEO

Last edited by NEO GEO; 04-19-04 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 05:59 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Cool

One thing i did not mention is i had a basin of water near by to dip in the cover so to keep the plastic cool and not to heat up. this is very important. NEO GEO