LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Loud power steering pump

Old 04-02-04, 09:37 AM
D.Nathan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud power steering pump

My '94 LS 400 (63,000 miles) is making a loud rubbing/grinding type sound while steering in either direction. Usually occurs at low speeds, and is more noticeable at shaper turns. I've heard these first generation models have power steering pump problems. If anybody can offer advice, It would be GREATLY appreciated. This is my first Lexus, & of course I want to avoid the dealership.
Old 04-02-04, 11:34 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Loud power steering pump

Originally posted by D.Nathan
My '94 LS 400 (63,000 miles) is making a loud rubbing/grinding type sound while steering in either direction. Usually occurs at low speeds, and is more noticeable at shaper turns. I've heard these first generation models have power steering pump problems. If anybody can offer advice, It would be GREATLY appreciated. This is my first Lexus, & of course I want to avoid the dealership.
this is a simple fix, basically your PS needs fluid. Check the fluid levels. Then what I do is, while it is running I siphon out as much as I can and fill it back up with ATF fluid. Make sure its dextron 3. I use maxlife atf, because I got 187k on my 91 LS.. I have my original PS and rack and Pinion. This should make that sound go away, if you dont take care of it. you will be in big trouble. And please dont waste your time with the dealer, they'll hit you up with a number of things before even solving the problem
Old 04-05-04, 04:37 AM
D.Nathan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud steering pump

Thanks for the tip. I was unable to drain all fluid, so have been extracting little by litte through the reservoir, & replacing with Mercon III. The noise (pump laboring) has quieted considerably, but still comes back. I will have my mechanic drain all fluid, (it's the original stuff--10 years old) replace, & put a bottle of Lucas power steering additive in there.
Old 04-05-04, 05:45 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was real low, you may have some air in the system. You can work this out by turning the wheels stop-to-stop and holding for a few seconds on each side. Don't really force it at the stops. Just turn it to each stop, hold for a few seconds and then turn the other way. Go through that cycle a few times, top up the fluid and, hopefully, your noise is gone.

George
Old 04-19-04, 07:48 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the same problem with my 93 LS 400 twice. The first time (in 2000 when it had about 90,000 miles on it), the car was still under warranty. The Lexus dealer resealed the power steering pump, and the noise stopped. The problem reoccurred in March of this year at about 122,000 miles. This time it also seemed that the car was harder to steer. I checked the fluid, and it was low. I added fluid, and the car became easier to steer; however, the noise continued.

For the next few weeks, I had to constantly add power steering fluid. Then I started to notice clouds of white smoke when I started the car. It turned out to be a bad air control valve in the power steering pump. Fluid was seeping into this valve and was then being pumped into the engine through the two hoses that connect this valve to the engine. This valve is Toyota part number 17630-16040. I ordered a replacement from a Toyota dealership over the internet. My cost was $69.00. I installed the part, replaced the two hoses (they were original and were very hard), and the power steering fluid stopped disappearing.

I did continue to have the whining noise for about 10 days after the valve replacement. However, the noise was less each time and was easily stopped by turning the wheels stop to stop a couple of times.
Finally, the noise stopped completely.

One other thing I have done is slowly change out the PS fluid by extracting about 4 ounces every two weeks and replacing it with fresh fluid. The fluid that I am extracting now looks almost like the fresh fluid. When I first started this, the fluid removed was brown and gunky.